Cornerstones of our Collections

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
whitebuffalo58

Cornerstones of our Collections

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Looking over my collection, it occured to me that there were certain knives that helped form the foundation of what knives I collect and who I am and hope to become as a collector.
Here's mine, i'd love to see and hear about others.
Cornerstones.jpg
Top knife was my first. Grandpa gave it to me when I was 7. It spent many years going from one tacklebox to the next, but no doubt was the basis of all knives to follow.
Next down was my first higher quality knife. It's still an Imperial, but opened my eyes to seeking out the better built knives in my collection.
Third down was the first and for many years my only auto. If you can imagine a 12 yr. old with one of these in his hands for the first time. I'm still amazed I didn't wear the spring out in the first couple of days.
Last, but not least, is the first ever gifted to me by a forum member and one that has taught me the newest and most important lesson yet. The one that there is a basic generous nature in this hobby. Not just materially, but in the support, shared wisdom and knowledge that so many collectors offer freely everyday. It's the cornerstone that I hope build off of, as to WHO I am as a collector in the future.

WB
Chief RID

Re: Cornerstones of our Collections

Post by Chief RID »

Well said. I am going through a time now of thinking about collecting. I know the knives I have now will shape that collecting in the future.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

My collection is based on the working man in the United States and the knife that best represents the workingman is the BUCK110 +112 at work and the Schrade/Imperial at play :) So with that said the 112 ranger and the Kamp King are my cornerstones ::nod::
Attachments
dscn1253.jpg
dscn1078.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

The knife that started my love of knives.
Case 7 dot 64052 purchased new and carried for thirteen years. All blades still snap.
Used abused and tortured. ::facepalm::
Attachments
Case 7 dot1.jpg
Case 7 dot3.jpg
Case 7 dot4.jpg
case 7 dot5.jpg
Case 7 dot2.jpg
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

That's why we buy'em use'em abuse'em and show'em with pride :D
rarreola

Post by rarreola »

this Imperial

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Rarreola; ::tu:: Very nice Imperial ::nod::
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

My starter was a post 80's Hen and Rooster yukon jack I bought from Hoffritz Cutlery. Slim.
Attachments
IMG_0315.JPG
Chief RID

Post by Chief RID »

That is striking, Slim. I really like it. I can see how that could get you started but where do you go from there. Very nice!
slimpickins

Post by slimpickins »

Thanks Chief RID. Well, from there it went to a couple hundred or so knives and an addictiom I hope to never loose. Slim.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

For me this was the one that started it all.Bought from a local hardware store(with my grandfather's permission)at the ripe old age of 10 for the sum of fifty nine cents.
Fifty eight years (and a few thousand knives)later it is still my favorite knife;along with my grandfather's Kamp King that nearly removed the top of my finger when I was eight.It is still capable of doing so.
Attachments
0firstknife.JPG
0firstknife.JPG (36.59 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
rarreola

Post by rarreola »

garddogg56 wrote:Rarreola; ::tu:: Very nice Imperial ::nod::
thanks garddogg56
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My Grandma gave me this Buck 301 Stockman for my 15th birthday in 1970. I got to pick it out at the hardware store; if you look close you can see my initials on the bolster. I have owned it as long as any pocket knife I have (my Cub Scout and Boy Scout knives which I had before this Buck are long gone). I was proud of this knife when I received it and I am still proud of it today - for many years I thought Buck was the only quality knife made (I know better now) but it sure made an impression on me that lasted for years.
Attachments
DSC02371.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Oh;Two of my favorite stockmen are Buck and Schrade with out a doubt
Attachments
100_0856.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Thanks for contributing guys. So far it looks like the biggest part of us started from fairly humble begginings. Working class knives that were built for one purpose, to be used. I have to confess to owning a few safe queens, but the vast majority of my collection centers around the knives built for EDC. Whether it be the small pearl handle gents "Sunday go to meetin' knife" or the big folding hunter meant for takin' to the woods. These types aren't just the cornerstones of our collections, but the cornerstones that many a knife company built there reputations on. Glad to see so many of the traditional patterns forming a base to build from. Thanks for sharing 'em.

WB
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

I have spent the last 5 days trying to write a THANK YOU post to WhiteBuffalo58.
You guys know from my posts that I am not real good with words and if you have been
in chat you REALLY know!!

Anyway...I was very surprised to see a package from WB when I was picking up at the
Post Office the other day. I raced home and tore it open.....WOW!! Rob really took
care to think of what I might like and I am blown away!!

I have posted an old Norton Stone from my Gramps and a Norton pocket hone too.
Opened the box and there was another fine Norton stone in its original box!! SWEET!!
I now officially have a Norton collection........very cool and something to build on.

Also in the box was a really nice Schrade Old Timer 97OT!! This is a somewhat rare
'end of days' single blade 97OT with yellow buzzcut derlin handles. I was raised on
Old Timers, Shrades and Uncle Henrys and I LOVE this knife!! Thanks WB, you really
shouldn't have done it.......but SO glad you did. I snooped around here a little
and found another posted and also a single blade 97OT in blue derlin for a Farm Group.

Rob, your generosity humbles me man......I don't recieve gifts very well brother, so
sorry this post has taken a minute. I DO really like and appreciate these items and
they will always hold a special place in my collection. It will be one of the
'Cornerstones of my Collection' for sure as it represents what the spirit of this hobby
is all about. A MOST sincere THANK YOU friend!! I am still so excited about this, it
has really made my week!!

AAPK is the best,
Sincerely,
Trevor
:)

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... OT#p115739
Attachments
104_0605.JPG
104_0606.JPG
104_0607.JPG
104_0608.JPG
104_0609.JPG
AAPK #6581
singin46

Post by singin46 »

These 2 knives have been with me for the past 20 years or so. Since they came from my Dad and Grandpa, they are definitely the cornerstones.
Love all Jacks
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: WOW WB58you DA man ::nod::
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

What a wonderful thread!!!!

I really want to hear more about why certain knives became people's cornerstones!!!
garddogg56 wrote:My collection is based on the working man in the United States and the knife that best represents the workingman is the BUCK110 +112 at work and the Schrade/Imperial at play :) So with that said the 112 ranger and the Kamp King are my cornerstones ::nod::
This is very, very creepy because you could almost sign my name to it and it would be true!

In thinking about this, I'm needing to distinguish between cornerstones (knives that have most influenced me) and the current EDC choices - they're different a bit.

I got my first knife when I was 8, and was told by my grandfather and father never to carve backwards. It was an Ulster BSA knife and while at my grandfather's summer camp in Vermont, I went down to lake, got a piece of drift wood and carved backwards, slicing open my thumb resulting in a very bloody drive to the hospital for stitches. That knife still sits on my work bench. It's in horrible shape and I've replaced it with this, which is the image of a pocket knife that I see when I close my eyes. This is the first cornerstone.

camper-leaves by Pinnah, on Flickr

When I was in high school, I got my first real man's knife. I poured over Herters catalogs weighing the choices and saved up my money and bought a Buck 110. This is the second cornerstone.

Somewhere in college I fell out of the habit of carrying a knife. Tried various multi-tools as I got into backpacking and bike touring and ended up rejecting them all. Can we count knives tried and hated as anti-cornerstones?

Then about 5 years ago I got a used Opinel #8 while trading bike parts and haven't been without a knife on me since.

The Buck 110 and Opinel #8 are really the cornerstones of what I like to use - folding lockers. But the 110 is too big for pocket carry and the Opinel #8 is a tick too small. My most commonly used knifes (in order of use) are: Opinel #9 drop point, Buck 500 and Buck 112. I also have a Schrade 5OT for times where I must carry something smaller and more discrete. Here are most of the lockers together.

Folders by Pinnah, on Flickr

I want to underscore the bit about a working man's ethic. Was talking about this the other day with somebody else and the comment was why I don't prefer a "nicer" knife. I drive a Subaru, not an Audi. I wear Dickies and Wranglers, not "slacks". I wear a Timex, not a Rolex. This isn't a dig at nice knives in anyway. I get it and would be embarassed to tell you how much I spend on bikes and skis!! But even my Buck 500, which I love, is out on the outer edge in terms of bling factor. I definitely have really good friends that I won't carry that knive when I'm with them. Putting on airs sort of thing.
Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Perry ya can't beat that pair ::ds::
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Thanks garddog!
Love all Jacks
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Phinnah ;there were never truer word written ::nod:: and I know all to well about backwards whittling the thing is my Gramdpa warned me I remembered the exact day and it was with that Kamp King ::facepalm::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Great thread WB!! Great knives! Great stories.

I'm kinda new to this whole knife thing but I've definitely been bitten by the steel spirit.

I started carrying a VIC SAK a number of years ago, but the Kershaw Leek pushed me over the edge.

As of today, Easy Opens have flooded my steel desires, and the newly rehandled easy open knife, by none other than the man who started this thread is what is the cornerstone of my collection:
Attachments
Imperial USA rehandle by whitebuffalo 002.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

scott, that's a great looking knife!
Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hey Scott, is that Mastadon?