Wawarsing Historical Society and Knife Museum

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
lt632ret

Re: Wawarsing Historical Society and Knife Museum

Post by lt632ret »

Hello that was an amazing video. Frankly I always knew what they did but not exactly how. it was interesting for me since I was given some time ago, a large box of steel shield patterns ( I guess that would be the name ) it was the pattern part that is placed on the knife for the parser to go into. In any event these were the actual ones that were used on the original G Schrade shield inletting machine in fact it was the same machine in the book written by his son George Schrade and his accomplishments. When I got these I was told that the actual machine was long gone. That being said there is a bit more to this story that your film suddenly made clear to me.

Perhapes 15 years ago I was in the factory and I met a senior employee who had been with the firm for many years. While talking to him he mentioned that Henry Baer had given him many years ago a strange looking tool of some kind. The employee had said that when he was given it Baer had said that it was an important piece of prototype cutlery history but that he ( the employee ) did not remember what Baer said it was for. I tried to buy it or at least see it but the fellow said that perhapes in the future but right now he wanted to keep it. Then one day years later I saw an ad I forget where, I believe it was pre ebay in any event I bought it sight unseen . I got it in the mail but did find out that it was the implement and the same person who had retired and was or had moved to Florida.

I have it kind of suspended between two display cases over my desk . I have stared at it virtually every day, it appeared obvious that it was used in shielding but frankly I am not very mechanical so I just was not seeing how it was used ( and it really is pretty obvious ). There is a changable point cutting tip. then a flywheel the center is a round piece that goes in a chuck like a drill bit . There is a wood double handle to hold it steady once a variable speed power source is applied. There is a string on the handle which is not used in the use of the tool but merely to store it on a hook or similar. it is kind of a cross between a parser, router, drill bit whatever and it might have very well been part of that original inletter or at least something involved in its invention. I do not know why it just didn't sink in until I saw your video.

I am including some pics of the tool . It is to cold to go out and try to show the box of old pattern dies. Thankyou Stephen and should you come accross any old cutlers tool I am in the market for the museum. Thanks again LT PS one of the tines I believe is broken off the bit.
Attachments
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG (32.05 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG (37.37 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
MVC-027S.JPG
MVC-027S.JPG (38.89 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

steven cocker wrote: Just going through post on this great forum :) and found the above Video, of a Parser the young man :oops: in the film is me :oops: when i worked for Taylors eye witness Sheffield back in 2008. I still use a parser on my knives to inlay shields.
How COOL is THAT? I mean finding yourself in a video from years back. ::tu::
-Bruce
steven cocker

Post by steven cocker »

lt632ret wrote:Hello that was an amazing video. Frankly I always knew what they did but not exactly how. it was interesting for me since I was given some time ago, a large box of steel shield patterns ( I guess that would be the name ) it was the pattern part that is placed on the knife for the parser to go into. In any event these were the actual ones that were used on the original G Schrade shield inletting machine in fact it was the same machine in the book written by his son George Schrade and his accomplishments. When I got these I was told that the actual machine was long gone. That being said there is a bit more to this story that your film suddenly made clear to me.

Perhapes 15 years ago I was in the factory and I met a senior employee who had been with the firm for many years. While talking to him he mentioned that Henry Baer had given him many years ago a strange looking tool of some kind. The employee had said that when he was given it Baer had said that it was an important piece of prototype cutlery history but that he ( the employee ) did not remember what Baer said it was for. I tried to buy it or at least see it but the fellow said that perhapes in the future but right now he wanted to keep it. Then one day years later I saw an ad I forget where, I believe it was pre ebay in any event I bought it sight unseen . I got it in the mail but did find out that it was the implement and the same person who had retired and was or had moved to Florida.

I have it kind of suspended between two display cases over my desk . I have stared at it virtually every day, it appeared obvious that it was used in shielding but frankly I am not very mechanical so I just was not seeing how it was used ( and it really is pretty obvious ). There is a changable point cutting tip. then a flywheel the center is a round piece that goes in a chuck like a drill bit . There is a wood double handle to hold it steady once a variable speed power source is applied. There is a string on the handle which is not used in the use of the tool but merely to store it on a hook or similar. it is kind of a cross between a parser, router, drill bit whatever and it might have very well been part of that original inletter or at least something involved in its invention. I do not know why it just didn't sink in until I saw your video.

I am including some pics of the tool . It is to cold to go out and try to show the box of old pattern dies. Thankyou Stephen and should you come accross any old cutlers tool I am in the market for the museum. Thanks again LT PS one of the tines I believe is broken off the bit.
That is a very interesting tool, I have seen an old film of a tool maker in Sheffield I think around the 70's using one of them, ::tu:: they are very similar to the parser i use but on yours the bow is attached.
I have worked with a couple of people who visited the Schrade factory when Schrade took over Rodgers and Wostenholms in Sheffield, yours might of originally come from Sheffield back then.
here's a picture of my parsers,
here's the breast plate which you wear on you chest, stamped on it is "J mox" this may of been the cutler who it orginally belonged to.
various shield templates
The parser with the bow around the bobbin
heres a knife i have made and inlayed a shield using a parser.
Ballenxj wrote:
steven cocker wrote:
Just going through post on this great forum :) and found the above Video, of a Parser the young man :oops: in the film is me :oops: when i worked for Taylors eye witness Sheffield back in 2008. I still use a parser on my knives to inlay shields.
How COOL is THAT? I mean finding yourself in a video from years back. ::tu::
-Bruce
I remembered when i saw it cant believe it was 5 years ago ::oh_my::
MADE IN SHEFFIELD
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Here are a couple of pics from the Schrade factory collection which I got before it was raped er I mean taken err I mean acquired by Smokey mountain. Rotton pictures but show the old tool perhapes you could comment on them if the pics are not to bad. I just past a request which I had missed or forgottenfrom Dale to see the Nap Ax collection hopefully we will have that displayed this summer. Until them mostly packed away waiting. LT PS I guess you all know double click the pics they get a little bigger.
Attachments
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great pics LT, thanks for posting!

I am looking forward to seeing the Nap Ax collection. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Anyone know when the annual dues are supposed to be paid again ?

I got a news letter today and it sounds like a lot of progress has been made toward getting the museum up and running. ::tu::

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hi you should be getting a letter if it was not in the one you just received. Thanks LT
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

LT,

What`s new in N.Y.?

The museum up and running?

Here is an old knife box I picked up...........

AAPK Janitor
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello I have been remiss in my postings I should get everyone up to date. First of all we have overcome virtually everything we have all the legalitys as well as the physical plant all set up with display cases ect. However something always comes up. Right now we do not have the funding needed to sustane us for a minimum of a year which is what we are shooting for so that do not have to turn everything off or remove displays once they are catalogued and displayed. We are shooting for the spring please remember we began this project around the year 2000 it took 8 years to write and get the needed legislation written and passed. For anyone interested we are still maintaining the temporary museum on my property and to give tours upon request. It is extremely frustrating. Especially when I see grants and donations for everything from a catskill mountain borscht belt hotel museum to a 400,000 grant for a dance studio at Bradley field in Walden a project by a local actor who has appeared in various movies and was a voice of a lobster in a Disney movie. Several million for a library in Grahamsville which is a small village that has some important people and happens to have some well off influential residents. It seems like the simple basic history of the area its people and what was an American history is not paramount to these other causes. In any event we hope that we can get going early next year. Another factor is that while organizations like the Ellenville library which also once in a while displays some of its massive repository of artifacts and otherwise simply just keeps accumulating items is funded by tax money and has paid employees we on the other hand rely on dues, donations and what we will be able to raise from knife shows ect as soon as we are open and functioning. There answer is that we are free to donate our collections to them . Nice of them, Then they can sit in a storage area with the other stuff, until they are designated as surplus to fund a statue, a personal agenda, or something similar. It is a battle and it simply renews my faith in the human race that No good deed goes unpunished and that people all have there own agendas which usually revolves around there personal needs. You asked and that is the straight of it . Hopefully we will be functioning in the permanent facility early next year. I have some positive qualitys I am fairly knowledgable in the subject and am known in the field. My collection and the collections of several of the members are among the finest still to be found anywhere. We have over come a myriad of difficulties and are very close to culminating a project that many have said I was crazy to even begin. Aside from that my other quality is in running a state prison which has not been much of a help in this project. There are also many fields of expertise which I lack one of those is the knowledge of how to exploit funds from grants or donations or whatever all the grubbers who are so good at it can do. I have never asked for money and have always prided myself on that fact. The result is that I am not as efficient at it as a lot of people who make there living procuring funding are. Thankyou for your interest. I should post more especially in lieu of some of the dandy pieces which I have found. With the fondest regards to all of you LT
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Sorry to hear about the funding trouble. I have no experience in political matters but I can just imagine the hassle it must be to go through. This country has turned into whoever has the best "Lobbyist" gets what they want while other good causes suffer.

Have you tried running an ad in Knife World as a medium for increasing membership?

Do you maintain a web site for the knife museum? If so place a donation option on that page where visitors can send money via PayPal. Just throwing out a few ideas.
lt632ret wrote:I should post more especially in lieu of some of the dandy pieces which I have found.
Not as much interest in Knife Lore as there was before :( , but I for one miss your posts in this forum ::nod::

I would love to see some of the new items you picked up recently :wink: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Not as much interest in Knife Lore as there was before :( , but I for one miss your posts in this forum ::nod::

I would love to see some of the new items you picked up recently :wink: ::tu::

I miss his posts too Dimitri, so I just call him from time to time.
He has a doozie of a new find he told me about today. I can't wait to see pics.
I can say no more, don't want to spoil his surprise for us! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Doggoneit Dale............now you got me wondering what's going on.

Can't wait to find out. If it's doozie by LTs standards I'm confident it's a doozie! :wink:
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Ballenxj

Post by Ballenxj »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
Not as much interest in Knife Lore as there was before :(
I love to hear the knife lore stories. My biggest problem lately is finding the time to do so.
I do try to check in from time to time though. 8)
-Bruce
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

This is a grouping of 8 pristene unused Schrade Cut CO (pre 46) pearl gents knives. They all have the handwritten model numbers which were put on salesmans samples ( in those days with indelible ink ). I was contacted by a seller in the midwest not to long ago about these . While pearl gents knives are fairly plentiful usually they are used or have damaged pearl. Even if they are perfect, salesman samples are even rarer as I am sure most of you know. I have others but these were in one grouping which is quite rare. I usually separate pearls into several groups, damaged which unless really rare, I have repaired however I usually just farm them out. Rare stuff and perfect stuff I have several displays of. I included a couple of pics of those along with the 8 sample knives. Unfortunately the pics do not do justice to the quality and beauty of the pearl partly because of my camera and me, but also because some quality is sacrificed to show the number markings. The custom display case shown in the one pic has other samples as well as some very rare tangs like a pristene pearl Kipsi Kut ulster cat NYK samples ect. However not being able to post everything I choose these 8 and the two displays. The little Schrade display contains NEW Old stock original Schrade Walden 46,72. knives and is quite rare since many of these are larger patterns of which only a few were made. I got those many years ago from an old employee. I also have a small group of pearls with silver and or gold blades but that is another group and do to rarity a small number. I havent had them out in years probably just a couple of the gold ones. They are hard to find. I do not know about the rest of you but since I once wrote a price guide on knives and delve in them. I have an interest in how the market for them is doing. I have found that regular stuff unless pristene is a bit down actually a lot down since Schrade first closed that was to be expected once it was realized how much product of the regular stuff was out there. However it seems to have leveled a bit after bottoming out. Of course part of that is due to the general economy, Older stuff and in the package and especially rare or higher end stuff usually as in most markets holds fairly true. Schrade samples in fact any samples usually bring a premium. prices on unused prestene gents knives examples are usually posted as 250 to 400 but I must say unless the buyer really wants it usually does not bring quite that much. Whatever the price it still does not make them any easier to locate because they ain't making no more not like these and not in this country/ Unfortunately. All ths being said I decided to do this post on these Just a couple of Notes earlier I posted on a small Sheffield automatic whos tang was illegible. ( AS THEY SAY ON TV ) UPDATE Mark Zalensky the editor of knifeworld ( the finest knife publication out there ) informed me that he was familiar with that knife and it was a PERUVIAN PICKSLAY STEEL. You might want to look up the history on the net I found it interesting. Thankyou Mark . Looking around there is a bunch of new stuff but you have to start somewhere and the pearls were the first to catch my eye. LT
Attachments
MVC-007S.JPG
MVC-007S.JPG (36.58 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG (38.29 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (37.74 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (38.03 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG (38 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (37.14 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-013S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG (38.05 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-014S.JPG
MVC-014S.JPG (37.73 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG (36.87 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Rich, those are beauties! Sorry things have been slow with the museum. It'll be that much sweeter when it does get open full time.

Don't be a stranger, eh?

Glenn
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Those pearls are too nice! Thanks for the pics. ::tu::

Keep up the good work on the museum.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

lt632ret wrote:This is a grouping of 8 pristene unused Schrade Cut CO (pre 46) pearl gents knives. They all have the handwritten model numbers which were put on salesmans samples ( in those days with indelible ink ).
Those are great examples ::tu:: Small pearl handle pen knives don`t get much respect from collectors and prices usually reflect this fact. However, the salesman`s sample numbers and condition make those desirable and much more valuable.

lt632ret wrote:The little Schrade display contains NEW Old stock original Schrade Walden 46,72. knives and is quite rare since many of these are larger patterns of which only a few were made. I got those many years ago from an old employee.
Really nice to see these larger patterns, I only have one cattle knife in Pearl from Schrade. I would love to find a Boy Scout knife in Pearl ::drool::

You were lucky to find these all at one time.
lt632ret wrote: ( AS THEY SAY ON TV ) UPDATE Mark Zalensky the editor of knifeworld ( the finest knife publication out there ) informed me that he was familiar with that knife and it was a PERUVIAN PICKSLAY STEEL. You might want to look up the history on the net I found it interesting.
That`s a new one on me, nice to find out who made it.

Looks like they made some nice Razors as well, high quality judging from the blade grind and acid etching.

http://cricklepickle.com/pickslay_razors.html
AAPK Janitor
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Firstly , Thanks for all that information and secondly OMG !!! What a fantastic read ....i can`t believe what i just saw !!! truly awsome , it left me damn near speachless on the floor . ::tu:: i`m glad to have found this place . ::ds::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Over the years I have had several periodicals do articles on the museum project. We recently acquired a new artifact for the museum.

It seems that prior to the the civil war or during it a couple (literaly) or perhapes a few sabres were made for use by the union by the Napanoch Ax and tool company. They were handmade with the makers name and Napanoch location on them . One of these recently appeared in relic condition. Unfortunately the owner was a dealer and had no interest in the historical interest of the piece whose rarity is amazing. Reference could only be found in one reference of extremely rare civil war similar artifacts. Luckily one of our board of directors who is a well known collector remembered the article shown to him 30 years ago by his uncle and depicting the piece in an article in which the author only knew of two such swords. The owner finally parted with the item at a painful price. However since our museum is one block from the original building and since we have an outstanding collection of Napanoch AX items and since that same building later became Napanoch Knife. It was imperative that we do what we had to to get it. After the war Nap turned there knives in to plowshares as it was and produced only tools until they turned there plowshares back into knives as Napanoch knife.

Alrighty that being said the reason I started writing this is because as the first line in this posting denotes articles have been done in the past on our museum project ( which hopefully will be open this late spring. ) While looking for info on Napanoch AX I located one of these articles http://www.gunkjournal.com/2011/08/18/news/1108184.html this is the link to that article if anyone would like to look it up. There is a picture of me which does not look at all like me this fellow is OLD, Fat and looks hung over. I am much better looking however it shows you why I am destined to live alone. Sometimes I scare myself. Oh well when I answer the door the bible people usually flee screaming which i guess is a good thing. Now you know why I let other people try to raise funds for the museum. Oh well my looks were an advantage when I worked in the NYS correctional system. I thought you might find this interesting along with a museum update. The temp control system has been put in the display cases are in, security camera , plus a system of movement and ect alarms. In fact all we need now is to secure more operating funds to insure our being able to support ourselves for at least a year or two. So that we do not assemble and catalogue and correlate the thousands of items only to have to close for lack of operating funds and have to move the items out and then back to do it over again. This has been quite a project and no one knows who will still be here to finish it. It has been a daunting journey 8 years just to get the legislation to display automatics. Then doing all this with virtually no funding. All with just a handful of people who are trying to save this history. Who knows we just keep getting up dusting ourselves off and keep trying. Regards LT. ( The good looking young guy)
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice read,I hope I get the opportunity to visit.

I'm thankful to LT ,who took time to respond to an unknown. A courtesy not always found,even on this forum(only twice though)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hi I try to reply to anyone who contacts me . I see you said only twice if I missed an email it was inadvertant. Thankyou for the nice words on the posting and I look forward to your visiting the museum. Regards LT
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Great article!

Much respect to you sir! ::nod:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Lt! As always, a very informative post! Great info in that story.
It is the stories behind the knives that makes the knives come to life and mean so much more when we add them to our collections!

The article about you, your knives and the museum was excellent, however I think the guy who took the picture used to take pics for drivers licenses!
You are right that is a bad picture of you! :lol: :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

bdev

Post by bdev »

Hi.......What is the physical address of your museum? I live in the Hudson Valley and would like to visit.
Thanks.
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Right now we are still at the temp site which is 4 Buena Vista Ave Wallkill NY , Tours right now are by appointment call 845 895 3501 . Hopefully if we can get enough funding we will be open weekends at least later this year at the permanent address. Thankyou for the interest. LT

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”