Robeson Shuredge

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
313 Mike

Robeson Shuredge

Post by 313 Mike »

I was hoping one of the knowledgeable Robeson experts that frequent the site would be so kind as to share some info with me on this recent pick up. From poking around a little I was able to figure out that the tang stamp dates it between 1948-1965... any way to narrow that down a bit further? Also I am trying to figure out the handle material...is it the "Shurwood" that Robeson made in the later years or is it something else...? Obviously it needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I think it was a good find for under 10.00. Also my first Robeson!
Robeson Shuredge.JPG
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Robeson Shuredge

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

It is ShurWood. I think that material came after genuine strawberry bone, so let's date your knife about 1959 to 1965.
CNoyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

Given the name, can I assume it's a synthetic material made to look like wood?
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

biglmbass wrote:Given the name, can I assume it's a synthetic material made to look like wood?
Most likely rosewood ??
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

ShurWood was a compressed composite material made of multiple thin layers of wood and a phenolic resin.

Think "plywood" only made with a higher quality, more dense kind of wood.

It might have been rosewood. It has that color about it.

I posted some photos of some Robeson Shur-Wood Designs ash trays in the Robeson Cutlery Company thread in the Knife Lore Forum a week or so ago.

Sarah and I use ShurWood handled kitchen knives everyday. The handles on these sixty year old knives are apparently nearly indestructable.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great info Charlie, thanks for posting! I have the knife in hand now, cleaned it up a bit and the handles look great, no chips, cracks, or gaps, nice reddish brown color, the Shurwood has held up pretty solid considering the knife is at least 45 years old and the blade loss is evidence that it has seen some solid use. Nice knife though, still solid snap and no blade play, for $7 I like it alot!
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”