Olsen OK Steel

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Olsen OK Steel

Post by garddogg56 »

My brother is working in Northern Maine and he came acoss a Olsen OK skinner for me so I did some research and came up with three types of steel 1095,Cv and D2 this is my dream knife for a fixed blade and I would like to know what kind of steel??Thanx
Attachments
100_0875.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
knife7knut

Re: Olsen OK Steel

Post by knife7knut »

Really hard to say garddog unless you know what era it is from. I have several Olsen knives and the fixed blades seem to be mostly of German manufacture while the folders are mostly Japanese.They all seem to be pretty well made knives but I don't have a clue as to what steel was used.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

so far in my research it was made in Howard City,definatlly 1095 orCV but don't rule out D2,Made 1950-70,it does NOT have tang stamp which I was told that it is hand made by Olsen.My brother is taking it to VanBuren Me. one of the guys know an old knifemaker which is the guy that put Mark on to this knife. ::shrug::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

garddogg56 wrote:so far in my research it was made in Howard City,definatlly 1095 orCV but don't rule out D2,Made 1950-70,it does NOT have tang stamp which I was told that it is hand made by Olsen.My brother is taking it to VanBuren Me. one of the guys know an old knifemaker which is the guy that put Mark on to this knife. ::shrug::
That knifemaker wouldn't happen to be Mudd Sharrigan would it? He's in Wiscassett.Met him a long time ago and my wife bought one of his early knives.I striped his brother's Bentley about 30 years ago.They were founding members of the No-Mads car club in the Boston area back in the early 1950's.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

No it's not Mudd,but I know of the car club.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Anyone knowledgable in Olsen knives??
Jacklegg

Post by Jacklegg »

I have the same knife, 500 series. I purchased it new in my teens. My 1st fixed blade for hunting. I would date mine about mid 70's. I did research my knife, I will have to go back and check my notes. I would say the steel in my knife is Stainless. I had my knife stored for a long time in the sheath and the blade never showed any staining or discoloration. If I find out any more about the Olsen I will post.
Hope this helps a little.

Jacklegg,
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Jackleg thanx for the responce, this knife has no markings on the tang and I know it is not stainless steel the more popular steel in this knife was 1095 or tool steel ::shrug::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I thought over the weekend we would have a knowledgeable weekend warrior with some steel knowledge ::shrug::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Can't help you with any additional information concerning the Olsen Knife Company but will share a picture of mine. The knife was given to me by a friend who bought it from a traveling salesman who was selling these knives at a livestock auction barn in west Florida. The blade is 4 1/2" long and is 5/32" thick. Etched on the blade is OLSEN/S, maybe that's a model S? The leather scabbard is embossed with a logo with the name OLSEN KNIFE COMPANY and is very well made. It weighs about 8 oz. Never have used it, but seems like it would be a great skinning knife. Treefarmer
Attachments
003.JPG
004.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Treefarmer; thats a nice ::super_happy:: one

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”