BUCK 55

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
gino

BUCK 55

Post by gino »

Anyone own one of these? its a #55 (not 505)

I bought one of these today from Cabela's

Its on its way and should be here in a week and I was just wondering if anyone has one? If so what do you think of it?
Its a scaled down version of the 110.
Attachments
unnamed[1].jpg
unnamed[1].jpg (5.19 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
johnny twoshoes

Re: BUCK 55

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Gino, I had one. 8)
I really enjoyed the knife, great snap, and it locked up like a safe. I bought the knife with the intent of using it for squirrel season, and I did get a chance on a squirrel and the knife preformed perfectly. I ended up giving it to my younger cousin who lost his pocket knife. ::tu:: I hope he enjoys it as much as I did. :roll:
keithw

Post by keithw »

Gino,

I have a 55, and it seems like a very good knife.
Its nice and thin, but substantial enough to handle most things that are thrown at it.
Its nice looking too.
I've had it a year or so, but haven't used it as an EDC yet.
Now that you have me thinking, I'm going to dig it out and try to carry it for a day or two. ::super_happy::

Keith
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
gino

Post by gino »

Thanks Guys, it looks cool and I since have found out that its called a 55 because that is 1/2 of 110 and its a scaled down knife 1/2 the size of a 110. ;)
jb4570

Post by jb4570 »

The 55 is a sweet little knife. It's the same size as the Buck 503 as you can see in the photo's.
jb4570
Ride Hard, Shoot Straight, and Cut Like a Surgeon
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gino, I thought I remembered reading in another post that you already had one of these. ::shrug::

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I've been carrying one for the past year and a half. As I've said before, it was a Christmas present from one of my friends. Sharp as a whistle right out of the package. Slim and light in the pocket. Sometimes I can't find it for all the keys and pocket detritus. --BUT -- I broke the tip off a few months ago, doing something I knew better than to do. I've re-profiled the blade and this is what it looks like now. Still in my pocket.
Attachments
Buck 055 Repaired.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gino

Post by gino »

Nope this is my first. I have a bunch of 110's (like 30 or so) a few 505's and others but just this one 55. Well after having it my pocket for a week or so, I really like it. I carry 3 or 4 knives now and this fits right in. I think this will be with me for a while too Jerry. LOL
Attachments
knives 076.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I like the looks of that 55 Gino,Is that a little smaller than the 112?
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
gino

Post by gino »

garddogg56 wrote:I like the looks of that 55 Gino,Is that a little smaller than the 112?
Its 1/2 half the size of a 110 and a good bit smaller and thiner than the 112 also.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I've been looking for a Buck 55 since I saw this thread a few months back, stopped by a Browning dealer in Wilmington NC yesterday and they had all their Buck's on a 20% off sale (of course they were discounting from the MSRP price!) He had two, I liked the wood on this one best and bought it.

Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
gino

Post by gino »

OH, how do you like it?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Gino, I haven't done anything with it other than play around with it so far. I bought it yesterday and took the picture today. It is a nice size, a little bigger than my other lockback pocket size knives, and a nicely scaled down version of the 110. I have got to decide am I going to carry it, or save it for a ARNG buddy who is retiring after 30 years service in April. He might get it, or I might gift him with another knife, but he will be getting a knife from me, sorta had him in mind when I saw it, but I don't know, might keep it.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

O.H. Thats nice.hows it feel in hand?
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Happen to have photo...300Bucks

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Garddogg, I like it, feels good. The other small lockbacks I have, or have had, were just a little too short for a flat knife. This one has just enough length at 3-1/2" closed, and heft at 2 oz., to have some decent grip (same weight and length as the Case Medium Texas Jack I am using for my EDC now). I think my buddy will be getting a nice Case knife to mark his retirement - I will probably drop this one in my pocket on Monday and give it a whirl. This Buck 55 also features nicely rounded and curved bolsters - I do not like squared edges in a pocket carry knife. From a looks perspective I like the curves where the bolsters and handles meet - has sort of an Art Deco (1930's look) to me. The wood on mine has a zebra pattern, especially on the back side which I didn't photograph - that's why I picked this one of the two I had to choose from. Go ahead and buy one, I think you will like it.
Old Hunter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

$31.28 on Amazon with free shipping - http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-55-Fo ... 880&sr=8-1

$28.99 on Poor Fish + shipping (unknown cost) - http://www.poorfish.com/p-11570-buck-th ... ode=nextag

$59 on Bucks website + shipping (unknown cost) - http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=2882

None in AAPK stores.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Those first two prices Jerry listed are great. I paid $44.80, even with a 20% discount, plus 7% sales tax - of course my purchase helped a very nice eastern NC gun & hunting shop stay in business. I have been carrying the 55 today, carries nicely in the front left pocket of my jeans, not had a use for it yet (changed a lawn tractor tire today - took bigger tools than a pocket knife!)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Hunter wrote: of course my purchase helped a very nice eastern NC gun & hunting shop stay in business.
::tu::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Here is an over/under comparison shot of the 55 over its big brother, the 110 in the fully extended position.

Here is a comparison shot while they are posed in the famous "knife blades being photographed" position that we are all familiar with.

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have carried it a few weeks since dropping it in my pocket; I have received several compliments from people and one guy wanted to know the model info so he could buy one for himself. Overall the Buck 55 is a good knife to carry, length and blade are great for everyday uses (typical non-heavy duty tasks such as opening boxes, cutting strings/rope, cutting cleaning patches, etc.). It is slightly wide for my tastes in carry - my knife stays in my left front pocket with my cell phone. As much as I like this Buck I have gone back to carrying my black synthetic Case Texas Jack (22087SS) for EDC use (same length, a little fatter, but not as wide). I also find I like having the choice of two blades in my EDC pocket knife.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

The 55 is a great knife but I don't like lock-backs in the pocket,small barlows and stockman for in the pocket ::nod::

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”