Buck Whittler #309

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Old Hunter

Buck Whittler #309

Post by Old Hunter »

I just ordered one of these Buck Whittler's from Bass Pro Shops. I tried to copy their picture, but could only get a postage stamp size to download (thus the link). I will post a good digital shot when I receive the knife - to include the cedar box. The #309 isn't a whittler pattern and there is no whittler on Buck's website that I can find, so I assume this is a special run for Bass Pro Shops. At any rate it looked nice, I've wanted to add a whittler pattern to my collection, and it's a USA made Buck!

http://www.basspro.com/Buck&-x00ae;-Whi ... pingdotcom
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
trey

Re: Buck Whittler #309

Post by trey »

I got one of those. Pretty nice little knife. I like mine quite a bit. Is that the one
that is a 310 but labeled a 309? Or vise versa?
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

The 309 and 310 have a linked past. Take a 309, add a third blade, the slanted tip whittler blade beside the pen blade and you have the 310 Whittler model. It has often been offered in the wooden box. Bass Pro is the only seller at this time, others carried it in the past. Sometimes you get a 309 stamped clip blade and sometimes a 310 stamped clip. Its the third blade that gives this knife its name......300Bucks

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Trey, I was going to answer you with an "I don't know", but 300 BUCKS has just explained it to me (and you). Thanks for the pictures and explanation. I will have to wait and see what number is stamped on my blade (the picture on the Bass Pro website has 309 on the blade). I will photograph mine and post it upon arrival. I looked around e-bay last night and found only one (a new one) that comes in the yellow/black paper box for $28.00 plus S/H, but no wooden box. I also checked Buck's factory website, but couldn't find one listed as a current offering. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My Buck Whittler came yesterday; it's a 309 with a 2010 manufacturing mark. It came in a yellow and black paperboard box with a wooden display box - opens from the oposite end from the one that 300bucks displayed. It is a very nice little knife - smaller than the other Whittlers I have seen (3") and has three springs, none that taper; the blades are very close fitted. Glad I bought this one.
Attachments
DSC03149.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: wow OH that is nice I don't own a Buck whittler is that bigger than a 303?
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
zippofan

Post by zippofan »

I love whittlers, and now that I've seen this I gotta have a 310,

Good thing I need to order some other stuff from Bass Pro, otherwise I'd get in trouble for yet another knife package :mrgreen:
gino

Post by gino »

I like this too but I just wish it was larger than 3" I still have to get one. ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Dubv

Post by Dubv »

So which one do I have....I'm new to the site...thanks for the add....I found this while renovating a house.. The previous tenants somehow managed to drop or throw it behind the refrigerator... cleaned up really nice.. by the looks of the blade I'd say it has not been used if so very little... Thanks in advance for your knowledge
Attachments
IMG_20191219_200253.jpg
IMG_20191219_200241.jpg
Dubv

Post by Dubv »

Old Hunter wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:17 pm My Buck Whittler came yesterday; it's a 309 with a 2010 manufacturing mark. It came in a yellow and black paperboard box with a wooden display box - opens from the oposite end from the one that 300bucks displayed. It is a very nice little knife - smaller than the other Whittlers I have seen (3") and has three springs, none that taper; the blades are very close fitted. Glad I bought this one.
I found the exact same one while renovating a house it was behind the refrigerator....how to clean it up a little bit it's practically brand new the blades have no indication of ever being used and all three will shave the hair off of your arm... Good find in my book!
Attachments
IMG_20191219_200253.jpg
IMG_20191219_200241.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dubv, welcome to AAPK and the Buck sub-forum! Very nice find, those are nice pen knife variations of the Whittler pattern. Don’t you know someone was sick once upon a time when they lost (and never found) their new Buck pocketknife. OH
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

OH I've mine for most of the year she has taken watch pocket time away from my Case peanuts :D I love the whittler pattern.
Attachments
IMG_0822.JPG
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

It would only take a tiny amount of engineering to assemble some 301s with both secondary blades on the same end. If Buck got enough e-mails from people writing that they'd buy one it would happen.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, they are great penknives, same function as a Peanut - did you get yours at Bass Pro Shop? That's where mine came from. OH
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

MSM, not sure what Buck is doing with the 300 line, it sure is small now and not that attractive with very few special runs being made anymore. The company states they are retooling the line, there is always hope for a full line in the future, but with the two new Remington Bullet Knives being based on the current 301 I don't think it will be in 2020. OH
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Old Hunter wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:27 pm Dogg, they are great penknives, same function as a Peanut - did you get yours at Bass Pro Shop? That's where mine came from. OH
Cabelas same stores now ::shrug:: she is made for the watch pocket ::tu:: great blades ::nod::
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Old Hunter wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:29 pm MSM, not sure what Buck is doing with the 300 line, it sure is small now and not that attractive with very few special runs being made anymore. The company states they are retooling the line, there is always hope for a full line in the future, but with the two new Remington Bullet Knives being based on the current 301 I don't think it will be in 2020. OH
I have a small collection of the larger Camillus made Rem. Bullet knives so I'm curious what models Buck will make as Rem. Bullet knives. Buck has not made patterns similar the Bullet knives I like. Just the opposite has been the case. Buck had Camillus make some of the patterns Camillus used for Rem. Bullet knives and stamp them Buck. Daddy Barlows, banana trapper pattern knives, Jumbo Trapper/Rem. 1303, and all sizes of scout/utility knives were never Buck's cup of tea. I left real Folding Hunters off that list because the only way I use that name has to be made clear. It's Case's __65 pattern, Queen's 39 & 44, and Buck's 317.

I've stuck with Camillus made Rem. Bullet knives because that way I know what to expect for materials and quality. Since Camillus closed it's been too hard to learn who made Rem. Bullet knives.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”