Kabar ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Kabar ?

Post by Sasquach »

Can anyone tell me something about this knife. It's 3 1/4" long closed, it has what appear to be brown jigged bone handles, the tang stamp reads Kabar and nothing else. I have some doubts about it because it does not have "USA" or "Olean, NY" on the tang. I can't find a match in the Big Book Of Pocket Knives. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kabar ?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Only thing I can tell you Charlie is, the handles are synthetic (Delrin?), not bone.

P.S. You might get more traffic on this thread if it were over in the Kabar forum. Maybe a Mod will see this and move it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

jerryd6818 wrote:Only thing I can tell you Charlie is, the handles are synthetic (Delrin?), not bone.

P.S. You might get more traffic on this thread if it were over in the Kabar forum. Maybe a Mod will see this and move it.
I posted it on the Ka-bar collectors forum as well. I posted it here because I thought it may have been of foreign manufacture under license to Ka-bar. I did get some info on it over there. ::tu::

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Sasquach wrote:Can anyone tell me something about this knife. It's 3 1/4" long closed, it has what appear to be brown jigged bone handles, the tang stamp reads Kabar and nothing else. I have some doubts about it because it does not have "USA" or "Olean, NY" on the tang. I can't find a match in the Big Book Of Pocket Knives. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

It's made in the USA by Camillus Cutlery before they closed their doors. All of the Kabar knives with the same kind of delrin handles as your knife were made under contract by Camillus in the USA. I own several of them and they have some very good carbon steel blades in them.

Aimus
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Thanks Aimus! ::tu:: I've had a hard time finding detailed information on Ka-bar knives. I knew that many were made under contract but didn't know by which companies. Now that so many companies like Buck, Remington, Kissing Crane, and others are making some of their knives in China I am very leary of knives with no USA stamp no matter who the manufactruer is.

~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)

Return to “European-made knives”