Tips on removing bolster pins ?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Toejammer

Tips on removing bolster pins ?

Post by Toejammer »

Anyone got a sure fire method for getting stainless / nickle - silver pins out of a bolster thats no longer attached to the liner ? I have a cell knife rebuild on the bench, and gassing took out the liner on one side. So I'm having to make a new liner with brass stock. (no problem there) But the bolsters pretty much fell off the liners before I could remove the pins.

So now I have tiny little unsecured bolsters that i need to get the liner pins out of, without boogering them all up in the process.

Any tricks ?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Elvis

Re: Tips on removing bolster pins ?

Post by Elvis »

File down whatever pin sticks up and as long as you can identify the location of the pin on either side, use a punch smaller than the pin to get it started, then move up to a larger one once it's moving. A small block of very hard wood with a hole drilled through it makes a good anvil for this job. This should help unless I misunderstood the problem.
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

I use a trick that Dale uses.

An automatic center punch. (Harbor Freight has them cheap so buy a few cuz they WILL ware out)
The impact of the "slip sear" of the auto punch is very effective at taping the pin out.
No hammering needed - just use the punch in-hand, by itself!
Use a block under it as Elvis has mentioned.

(thanks Dale ::tu:: )

..... Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mike, what brand is the knife? (It can make a difference).
Some nickel silver bolsters are cast n/s with a stud on them that sits a hole in the bolsters, not really a true pin.
Can you show us a pic of the pins in the bolsters?

Thanks,
D
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

orvet wrote:Mike, what brand is the knife? (It can make a difference).
Some nickel silver bolsters are cast n/s with a stud on them that sits a hole in the bolsters, not really a true pin.
Can you show us a pic of the pins in the bolsters?

Thanks,
D
Camillus sword brand, 4 line tang stamp. Bolsters have two pins in them, I can clearly make them out.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Joe Dirt wrote:I use a trick that Dale uses.

An automatic center punch. (Harbor Freight has them cheap so buy a few cuz they WILL ware out)
The impact of the "slip sear" of the auto punch is very effective at taping the pin out.
No hammering needed - just use the punch in-hand, by itself!
Use a block under it as Elvis has mentioned.

(thanks Dale ::tu:: )

..... Joe
I like it !! Actually sounds like something I can use all the time. That, and paired with the wood suggestion, sounds like a winner. Thanks all ::tu::
Bruce Lee

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”