How Things Went Wrong At Camillus.

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

How Things Went Wrong At Camillus.

Post by jerryd6818 »

I think I'm putting this in the right place. While wandering about the Internet, I ran on to this article and thought there might be some interest in reading it. I did a search and didn't find where anyone else had posted it so decided to put it out there for your reading pleasure or displeasure as the case may be.

The article is titled -- How Things Went Wrong at Camillus -- and it was written in March of 2007, shortly after their bankruptcy. It's in .pdf format so you'll need a PDF reader on your PC.

The article left me echoing Kevin Pipes question, "What did they do with the $12 million?".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: How Things Went Wrong At Camillus.

Post by TripleF »

Great read. Thanks for posting Jerry!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
theblindog

Post by theblindog »

thanks for sharing this! ::tu::
Falah

"Have a sharp day!"
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Really interesting read. Thanks, Jerry. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Sounds to me like Camillus cut its own throat. Refused help from everybody
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Jerry thank you for posting this. Very interesting information. 8)

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
smokepole

Post by smokepole »

Such a sad, sad thing. Especially as it looks like there were several avenues by which the company could have survived......
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Be on your guard against a silent dog and still water.
Latin Proverb
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

This is a long time here:
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ar ... ticles.htm
Thank you Larry :wink:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Vit_213 wrote:This is a long time here:
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ar ... ticles.htm
Thank you Larry :wink:
Look, Dale's famous. This is an excerpt from an article on that site -- "Camillus name a giant among cutlery collectors"
Ami Olson 11/12/2008

As one of the oldest knife manufacturers in American history, some collectors choose
knives that illustrate the history of both the Camillus name and knife making in general.
"When I hold a Camillus in my hand, I am holding a piece of American cutlery history,"
said forum member Dale, of Oregon. He was issued a TL-29, a military electrician's
knife, when he entered the Marine Corps. "I carried it through a tour in Vietnam, on the
med-evac flight home and still have that knife to this day."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

congrats dale, that was a very nice piece, also jerry"s topic is a sad part of american cutlery history. one thing is good about the entire read. they did cut their own throats, but, at least they didn't do the china route.

now for my question here. if and when, { and it does look like it is going to be a reality}, camillus resuscitates itself from the ashes of their own anvils. does this mean, with his $12 million dollar investmwnt, that kevin pipes, of smkw, will own a big chunk if not all of the new camillus line?
if this is true, i would think, the path kevin pipes is taking with his own knives, that once smkw gets established with this newly regrouped camillus knife company and gets a feel of the market, he will eventually turn operations over to his china counterparts.

i sincerely hope i am wrong in this assumption....
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

::dang:: ::dang:: i just the read the other post from a member and dales response that camco is already doing china made camillus but trying to open the market with usa camillus. thanks dale for that answer to my previuos question. i have not done anything with camillus new line since they shut down years ago. except of course to buy old camillus knives...
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Jerry D.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I do not understand what your two posts are related.
I read both articles about two years ago on the site of Larry Vickery (collectors-of-camillus.us).
My English is very bad, so I use Google translate. Unfortunately, he makes it often incorrect. If not difficult, then explain to me more simple sentences.
Thanks in advance.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The demise of Camillus is a long and sad story. I think it is prudent to remember when reading any article of the decline and fall of Camillus Cutlery Company you are getting only the writers point of view, and that goes for what I may write as well.

We live in the age of spin. This is especially true in journalism where political matters are concerned. Depending on the writer, the depth of his/her research and the slant they wish to put on the subject matter, any article can be spun to support the writers’ preconceived notions or agenda. With the importation of so many knives from China, the cutlery industry itself has become very politicized, and therefore one needs to be aware of (or look for) the biases of the writer of any given piece.

There are so many differing points of view about the demise of Camillus and the causes behind it that I personally doubt we will ever know THE reason behind the closure of Camillus. Personally I don’t think there is a single reason, but a myriad of factors both great and small, (including 9/11), that took too great a toll on the resources of Camillus for them to recover.

As regards the new owner of the Camillus name-

The Camillus Cutlery Company we all knew and loved ended in 2007. It was the end of an era. That company will never exist again. Acme United Corporation purchased the intellectual property i.e.; the brand name Camillus, Camco and others. I know of no connection between Acme United and SMKW. I do believe different people own them.

As I recall it was Camillus that invested in SMKW in the 1980s. This did give them a ready market for many of their products, so in some ways it was a natural thing for a manufacturer to invest in a retail outlet. I am unaware of any inappropriate activities by the folks at SMKW or those at Camillus in this matter. To the best of my knowledge it was, at the time, a win-win relationship for both companies.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Thank you Dale.
James Furgal probably could tell a lot about it :) , but I think he will never do it.
By the way, what is now his business?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Vit_213 wrote:Thank you Dale.
James Furgal probably could tell a lot about it :) , but I think he will never do it.
By the way, what is now his business?
I do not know where he is or what he is doing. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”