Ka-Bar T29? & TL-29, what's it mean?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
whitebuffalo58

Ka-Bar T29? & TL-29, what's it mean?

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

At first I was going to ask about the TL-29 stamping on this Ka-Bar toothpick fish knife. But, then I realized it's actually stamped on the handle T29. :? So, i'll go down both roads.
I've always thought that the TL-29 marking was a military related thing, is that so? In the case of this Ka-Bar, does the T29 have anything to do with being military issue or just a model number and coincidence that it's close to the TL-29 marking? I couldn't imagine why the military would issue a fish knife, but then again maybe they didn't. I'm confused! Need more coffee! ::facepalm::
Ka-Bar T29.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ka-Bar T29? & TL-29, what's it mean?

Post by orvet »

TL-29 is a military designator that means Tool, Lineman; #29
It was originally used by the US Army Signal Corps circa WWI.
The knife was issued to the men in the Signal Corps who laid the field phone lines.

I would imagine the markings on the fish knife are coincidental.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
whitebuffalo58

Re: Ka-Bar T29? & TL-29, what's it mean?

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Thank you sir, i've had the Ka-Bar for a couple of years and had always thought of it as being marked TL-29. ::doh:: I didn't think the military would be issueing a fish knife, but thought i'd go ahead and get an opinion or two while I was at it. I guess what threw me was the block letter font is almost identical to that used on the electricians TL-29 knives. Makes more sense that it's just a model number or something of the like. WB

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”