My 1st CSC on the way---Half Moon Trapper

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
AJF

My 1st CSC on the way---Half Moon Trapper

Post by AJF »

Good afternoon, everybody.

I am new to CSC but not to knives. Recently I have been gravitating to traditional folders and picking up one or two or three to try out. I read some good things about the CSC Single Blade Half Moon Trapper, and really like the looks of the smooth sunset bone scales. So, yesterday I pulled the trigger at Sooner State, where Kenny has excellent prices and was very helpful over the phone (on a Saturday evening no less!).

Having just experienced a real nail buster of a GEC, I guess I was also of a mind to try CSC's reportedly softer springs. I've also recently been bedeviled trying to put a good edge on a Queen D2 blade, so I'm looking forward to CSC's 14-4CrMo, which I understand is almost identical to 154CM, with which I've had good luck.

Anyway, I'd apreciate hearing any comments or opinions on the Single Blade Half Moon Trapper.

Thanks,

Andrew

tjmurphy

Re: My 1st CSC on the way---Half Moon Trapper

Post by tjmurphy »

I like it a lot. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I've not seen a bad Canal Street yet, I even bought one the "Carry the Football" knives and was really impressed in the quality of workmanship and materials. Congrats.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
gino

Post by gino »

Sweet lookin knife! Congrats !
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
JWS

Post by JWS »

Andrew, You got a dandy there. That sunset-bone is a real eye catcher. ::tu::
Now which one is next? ::hmm::
J.W.

M.I.L.T.D.D.
AJF

Post by AJF »

Thanks for the comments, gents. I'll post my impressions, and maybe another a pic or two, after it arrives.

As to "which one is next?"---aye, caramba, so many knives, so little time..... :D

Andrew
JAYLUPARK

Post by JAYLUPARK »

Andrew,

How do you like your knife??? Is the fit and finish top notch? how about the steel hold a good edge. I to am thinking about switching from gec (management-quality issues) thanks for any help or advise. Jay
JAY PARKER
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I just reviewed the half moon trapper chestnut. What a dandy!!
You'll be thrilled!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
justold52

Post by justold52 »

YUP pers SHE is a DANDY
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”