Western Boulder Colorado Split back spring Whittler

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
stressmaster5000

Western Boulder Colorado Split back spring Whittler

Post by stressmaster5000 »

Here is a pretty nice whittler pattern with cracked ice celluloid scales. When I got it the 2 smaller blades were perfect but I made the mistake of putting it into a fairly sealed environment and found it one day with out gassed damage. Anyone have any tips for me on how to deal with this problem? Can the blades be brought back to a shine? I used a little Simichrome on the blades and bolsters.
ImageImageImageImageImage
tongueriver

Re: Western Boulder Colorado Split back spring Whittler

Post by tongueriver »

You will probably get several suggestions. If it was my knife, I would consider removing the celluloid handles at the least, because I would assume they are continuing to gas, and they would be affecting the brass and nickel silver and the springs as well as the blades. As you know, there are some folks who post here that fit new handles to knives. I guess this is a heads-up to me as well; I have some cell knives which may not be getting enough air circulation. :oops:
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

tongueriver is correct. You really should remove the celluloid handles as they will continue to gas and ruin the blades, liners and springs. There are several members here who do do excellent work restoring knives.
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

knife-nut wrote:tongueriver is correct. You really should remove the celluloid handles as they will continue to gas and ruin the blades, liners and springs. There are several members here who do do excellent work restoring knives.
i have a fighting rooster that i noticed the celluloid handels was starting to gas out so i oiled it up good opened all four blades and wraped it up in a papper towel and put it up till i can find someone to rehandel it for me i tried to email muskrat man but for some reason it wont let me so hopefully someone that can do the rehandeling job will read this and PM me and give me some some info on it i thought about doing it in stag but some nice white smoth bone mite look good also so not sure thats why i would like some info on it so i can swow it off instead of keeping it put up thanks everybody o ya here is a pic of the knife
Attachments
005.JPG
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I reccomend Elvis, muskrat man and orvet. All three of them do wonderful work.
tex6265

Post by tex6265 »

just curious, what happened to the knife? it is a nice one. tex
stressmaster5000

Post by stressmaster5000 »

tex6265 wrote:just curious, what happened to the knife? it is a nice one. tex
I still have it. I oiled the blades and folded them to the full open position and left it in an open air display shelf so it would not get any more damage(hopefully). I just do not have the funds to spend on it right now or I would have already had it re-handled. It's a sweet knife and real snappy.
rarreola

Post by rarreola »

stressmaster5000 wrote:
tex6265 wrote:just curious, what happened to the knife? it is a nice one. tex
I still have it. I oiled the blades and folded them to the full open position and left it in an open air display shelf so it would not get any more damage(hopefully). I just do not have the funds to spend on it right now or I would have already had it re-handled. It's a sweet knife and real snappy.
Hi stressmaster5000:

I have one whittler also but with black handle, do You know the carbon steel type used on this beauty?

thanks in advance

Robert

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”