Swagger Stick

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
dcgm4

Swagger Stick

Post by dcgm4 »

Not a knife, but I did find an interesting military tool the other day. Yesterday I picked up a swagger stick from a local antique/junk shop. Swagger sticks are carried as symbols of authority by military commanders. In the past they were used to direct battles and also dole out corporal punishment.
The swagger stick I have is made of brass and measures 15 1/4" long. It is made of four pieces that can be taken apart by unscrewing them. There is an engraving of a fire-breathing dragon as well as some writing; the writing appears to be Korean. Does anyone know how old this swagger stick is and what the value of it may be?
Attachments
Swagger_Stick1.jpg
Swagger_Stick2.jpg
Swagger_Stick3.jpg
Swagger_Stick4.jpg
Swagger_Stick5.jpg
Swagger_Stick6.jpg
tjmurphy

Re: Swagger Stick

Post by tjmurphy »

Very nice, I like it. I had one that I made from a 105? primer and a .50 cal. cartridge. I called it a short-timers stick and carried it around while clearing post.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks, tj. Sounds like you had a pretty cool one as well. 8)
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

very nice stick, too bad it wasn't longer, but then it wouldn't be a swagger. and also, wouldn't that be the ying yang symbol for polar opposites on the top of the handle.. originating from china philosophy..
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

I did a little research, and what that actually is is the coat of arms of South Korea. It probably is the yin yang symbol or is at least inspired by the concept of yin and yang, which is a Taoist idea that originated in China.
Attachments
South_Korea.jpg
South_Korea.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”