Best way for first sharpening?

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
CreekRunner

Best way for first sharpening?

Post by CreekRunner »

I have a case CV humpback whittler that cuts great right out of the box. Starting to get a little dull now and I shall attempt to sharpen it as suggested by people on this site by lengthening the bevel or flattening the bevel out. Question is, do I approach this a little at a time each time the knife needs sharpening with a whet stone for instance or go for the gold and do it all at once with a file or grinder?
FRJ

Re: Best way for first sharpening?

Post by FRJ »

Hi, Creekrunner,
I would recommend NOT using a grinder or a file. A course whetstone will do the job if you are persistant. It will take a bit of work, but you will have a more controlled effort. There are threads that you can research about sharpening blades if you take the time to do so.
Joe
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

CreekRunner wrote:I have a case CV humpback whittler that cuts great right out of the box. Starting to get a little dull now and I shall attempt to sharpen it as suggested by people on this site by lengthening the bevel or flattening the bevel out. Question is, do I approach this a little at a time each time the knife needs sharpening with a whet stone for instance or go for the gold and do it all at once with a file or grinder?
01 to 15 % is in the surgical scalpels class of an edge.
I wouldn't go any further than 15 % as the edge of the knife will just break off when carving wood.
I'd personally sharpen by hand with a file first then the whetstone (a diamond infused one) keeping a consistent angle. Finish with a leather strop or knife steel.
Stay away from a grinder unless yours familiar with them or it's cooled with water.
Too hot and the steels temper will be gone.

http://knife-guide.com/sharpening_skills.html

J W
CreekRunner

Post by CreekRunner »

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the slow steady method but you know ...instant gratification... I will stay on course though.
ziggy925

Post by ziggy925 »

I realize this is an older post, but I just got here. :-) As another poster said, do not use a grinder, and starting slow is always the best approach. Rather than hit a stone right away you might try a steel on the knife and see if that does the trick.

If you want to change the bevel you will have to do it all at once and I would use a stone moving from med/course to fine. A nice touch at the end is to use a leather strop with some compound like Flitz.

BTW, there are tons of videos on sharpening knives on YouTube.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”