Anyone know much about David G Laguiole pocket knives?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
pydavies

Anyone know much about David G Laguiole pocket knives?

Post by pydavies »

I am a scout leader and collect knives from our local airport and then sell them for the Airport Chapel to raise funds for youth counsellors.

I picked up this knife as it had nice engraved markings and looked very solid. Did some research and found out these kinds of knives range from $20 to $300 - but cannot identify the exact model. Not sure if it is worth more than a few dollars but thought I would ask the experts out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul: scouterpyd@rogers.com
Attachments
David-G-Languiole-1.JPG
David-G-Languiole-2.JPG
David-G-Laguiole-3.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone know much about David G Laguiole pocket knives?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Unlike your other knife, G.David is a well known name among Laguiole collectors. Depending on condition and rarity, they can go for some heavy duty dollars. Even the ones that don't bring the big bucks don't come real cheap. I'm sorry I don't have enough experience with them to give you any kind of ballpark dollar figure. They are reported to be a well made knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
pydavies

Post by pydavies »

Thank you very much for your quick response on the Laguiole knives. I appreciate your feedback. I deal mostly with Wenger, Victorinox, Gerbers and Buck knives from the Airport - but do on occasion see unusual knives such as these and the Hoffritz. I will post the Laguioles on ebay for around $20 each to see what interest there is.

Regards

Paul
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Paul, the David should be quite recognizable but if I were posting the L'eclair, I would stick a disclaimer in the body of the listing saying something on the order of "Believed to be manufactured in a Pacific rim country."

Just a suggestion. Your knife, your listing.

Welcome to AAPK. I hope you hang around.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
pydavies

Post by pydavies »

Thanks Jerry,

Very good idea - I will do that.

I'm new to this forum - but will use it for enquiries for unusal knives. May try to sell a few too if I come across any unusual or valuable knives. Our scout groups do the sorting of the confiscated items - the kids drool as they sift through the knives - and all proceeds go back to the Chapel. We use this as a vehicle for teaching the kids about doing good turns for others.
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Paul, this whole forum is about doing good for others and If you stick around, you will see this. Welcome to the forums and the brotherhood of knives. ::tu::
seca82

Post by seca82 »

Hi I'm a newby to AAPK I have recently begun to collect laguiole knives for there fine workmanship and attention to detail. G David is one of the top makers. They took over the forge at Laguiole in the late 1800's from a fellow by the name of Calmels inventor of the Laguiole as we know it today. They are one of the few cutlers still working in the village of Laguiole.I was lucky enough to buy an early example of one of their knives, it is very plain in fact it has no engraving and no bee\fly on the spring which is indicative of the knives produced from around 1880 through to 1940. I m constantly searching for near info regarding these knives and appreciate any additional insight from the experienced members of AAPK. Thanks regards Graeme
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

Here's some guidelines for appraising authenticity of Laguiole knives that may be helpful.
Won't hurt much to browse the various Laguioles in the menu on the left either unless you find one you cain't live without.
Did you try a web search for David G ?
http://www.customcurling.com/guidelines.htm
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I had a folding bowie made by them. it was fantastic. I also walked into a kitchen store in Clearwater Fla. and found a bunch of them in individual cloth bags for $8 dollars eaqch. I bought them all and sold them on ebay. I must have made 15 dollars on average. Well made and sharp with a corkscrew.
wazu013
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”