Canal Street Goes To Work

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Canal Street Goes To Work

Post by philco »

I have accumulated a few Canal Steet knives but up until now I haven't put any of mine to work. They have all been living in luxury in my safe. I picked this one up a couple of days before Christmas at the local knife shop and junk store. Since it didn't come with the box or paperwork and since I already had another one of this particular model stored away, I've decided to put this one to work as my new EDC. I have so far used it almost entirely to open Christmas presents, but it will get more of a workout as time goes by.

I'd be interested to hear from any others who have made a Canal Street one of their user knives.

Phil
Attachments
IMG_6278.JPG
IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6279.JPG
IMG_6276.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
johnny twoshoes

Re: Canal Street Goes To Work

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Phil, thats a beautiful knife, really looks like a good user. 8)

I've been carrying this CS for a couple weeks, it takes a really nice edge and so far holds it well too, my only issue with it is the beef in the blade, there's not enough. ::shrug::
It will flex a little with some pressure, but its still a really nice knife. I hope your CS serves you well. ::tu::
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Phil, let us know how it works out as an EDC. I'd heard that CS used some of the exact same stainless steel that USA Schrade called their Schrade+ steel. Those old LB-7's with the Schrade+ steel were great work knives. I liked their stainless steel Schrade+ blades better than any other makers stainless blades. That's a nice knife you have there. Bone stag handles?

Aimus
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

::idea:: Wow, I am brain dead, I forgot to add pics. ::dang::
P1015904.JPG
Sorry about that guys, my brain isn't trust worthy anymore. ::disgust::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Aimus Moses wrote:Phil, let us know how it works out as an EDC. I'd heard that CS used some of the exact same stainless steel that USA Schrade called their Schrade+ steel. Those old LB-7's with the Schrade+ steel were great work knives. I liked their stainless steel Schrade+ blades better than any other makers stainless blades. That's a nice knife you have there. Bone stag handles?

Aimus
Sorry for the delayed response Aimus. Yes, those are what CS calls Amber Stag Bone handles. I think they are really pretty and have focused much of my Canal Street collecting on knives with those handles. So far I've been carrying that knife for a bit over three months now and it has performed flawlessly. I didn't get the box or paperwork with that one, so I'm not positive of the steel used in the blades but I suspect they are the D2 tool steel. So far I have not needed to sharpen any of the four blades as they are holding a nice edge very well. If I had any complaint it would be that I do tend to prefer a bit smaller sized knife. I like the midsized congress that Boker puts out as far as size is concerned simply because it rides a bit better in the pocket, but I got to tell ya I"m really getting to like this one better every day.
Hey ::idea:: maybe CS will put out a mid sized congress someday. I'll sure grab some up if they do.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
justold52

Post by justold52 »

Phil you said "Hey maybe CS will put out a mid sized congress someday. I'll sure grab some up if they do."

I have the feeling that you will grab up most any Canal Street Amber Bone regardless of size... ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

Ken
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

johnny twoshoes wrote:::idea:: Wow, I am brain dead, I forgot to add pics. ::dang::
P1015904.JPG
Sorry about that guys, my brain isn't trust worthy anymore. ::disgust::

Caleb.. That is a very nice pic!! ::tu:: Nice knife too!! I know this a little late but!! ::shrug:: John ::groove::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”