Fake Case Tested Boy Scout Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Fake Case Tested Boy Scout Knife

Post by philco »

Below is a link to a knife listed currently on ebay. It is a fake. I know it is fake and I'll share with you why I know that after I've given a few others a chance to see if they can tell why it's definately a fake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CASE-Tested-XX-Boy- ... 19c3669553

Phil
Attachments
Fake Case Scout Knife Revers Side.jpg
Fake Case Tested Scout Knife.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fake Case Tested Boy Scout Knife

Post by Miller Bro's »

It`s a L.F. & C. frame with a Case master blade put in it :wink:
AAPK Janitor
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

At first glance, I don't like that shield for a Case Knife, but the front right blade in the bottom picture is a blade that Case produced as a can opener. As far as I know, no one else used that blade. With that said, I don't doubt you. That's all I could get from the pictures above. I'll click on the link and see if I can solve the mystery. I like the way you presented this one. It makes it more fun to "find the flaw" and only because you say you're sure.

Okay, Miller Bro's post came in while I was typing. Can we explain the can opener? I could be mistaken, but I thought I saw Knifeaholic say once that, that particular blade was only made by Case. On to the auction.......... ::shrug::
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Cruising ebay, I've found Imperial's, Ulster's, and LF&C's with that shield. Since Case never made an Official BSA Knife, we know that the frame isn't right, assuming the shield, handles and frame came from the same place. Wouldn't that leave us with both blades on that end having been changed? Here are the links to a couple of "for real" auctions. Imperial and LF&C:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Boy-Scout-P ... 3a638319d0
http://cgi.ebay.com/EARLY-BOY-SCOUT-POC ... 3cb56a8f38

I'm going to guess they used the frame of an Imperial or Ulster. Opinions? Excuse me if it seems like I'm having fun with this, because I am. I love a good mystery.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::smirk:: Bob you is gettin hotter, hotter, burnin up. :lol:

Anyone else ?

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Well, besides Case never made an Offical Boy Scouts knife, is the blade placement wrong also?

Aimus
gary

Post by gary »

Bail should be penned, frame is wrong, punch blade looks wrong, LF&C shield looks wrong, and I thought they had brass liners. How's that for a guess?
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Keep em coming guys. :mrgreen:

I'll even give you guys a clue..............here it is............"2005".

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
gary

Post by gary »

Is 2005 the first year Case made a BSA knife?
Bladeaholic

Post by Bladeaholic »

Amazing, not one pic. of the tang stamp ::paranoid::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

gary wrote:Is 2005 the first year Case made a BSA knife?
BINGO!

Case never made an official Boy Scout knife until the year 2005, so a "Tested" era official Case Boy Scout knife would obviously be a fake.

Dimitri has it right that the frame for the ebay knife appears to be from an L.F.& C. official Boy Scout knife.

I have attached below a picture that has one of the original L.F.& C. official Boy Scout knives like the one I suspect was used for the doner frame. The bolsters are a bit different so I'm not positive more than two knives were canabalized to produce this hunk-o-junk now offered for sale.

I have also attached my only example of the style of Case knife that apparently was utliized for the spear blade and the can opener blade.

Also posted below is a poor picture of the first official Boy Scout knives that Case produced in 2005. I added them cause I like showing em off. :P

Thanks for all the replys.

Phil
Attachments
IMG_6614.JPG
IMG_6617.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Yep! I was writing exactly everything you said phil when I accidently hit the submit button before I got it all typed......... ::paranoid:: :lol: Na, I didn't have a clue except for the ones you guys posted. It was a good learning experience though. ::tu::

Aimus
AllenMcB

Post by AllenMcB »

The shield is LF&C.

Image from http://www.ScoutKnives.Net

Case never used that shield, and didn't make an official BSA knife until recent years.
www.ScoutKnives.Net
Online Boy Scout Knife Collection
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Philco,

Just curious, On all the Case Scout Knives of Pattern 6445R in the Tested Era, I thought they all the pattern number stamped?

Bonehead
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice mystery Phil. I enjoyed the suspence, but I didn't know squat about any of it. I'm still curious though. It was stated that L.F. & C. made the B.S.A. shield. Did all knife makers make their own B.S.A. shields? Didn't Boy Scouts of America have there own specific design for their shield?
Joe
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

bonehead wrote:Philco,

Just curious, On all the Case Scout Knives of Pattern 6445R in the Tested Era, I thought they all the pattern number stamped?

Bonehead
I personally have never seen one that did have the pattern number stamped.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Hello All,

If anyone read the post I made earlier prior to deleting it, please forgive me I can't seem to keep my dates straight :oops: My Mistake!!! If not not worries.....

Bonehead
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

1920's-1940's CASE Tested XX 4 blade 6445R with rough black handles. Master blade marked with long tail CASE over TESTED XX. No marked pattern number. All 4 blades snap open and closed. Shield is Boy Scout emblem with Be Prepared. Can't find any info on CASE making an official Boy Scout knife, so this may be a sleeper. All blades show usual patina, no pitting. Master sharpened but still 95% full. Handles are rough black with bail intact. Please ask questions early. Thanks for looking.

On Feb-23-11 at 16:43:10 PST, seller added the following information:
Although I could find no info on this Case BSA knife before listing it, a member of the ebay community has informed me that Case never made an authorized BSA knife until 2005 so please do your homework and bid accordingly. Thanks
:roll:
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

I think it is good we need to have a tighter reign on what can be posted in the fake or counterfeit thread :?
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

FRJ wrote:Nice mystery Phil. I enjoyed the suspence, but I didn't know squat about any of it. I'm still curious though. It was stated that L.F. & C. made the B.S.A. shield. Did all knife makers make their own B.S.A. shields? Didn't Boy Scouts of America have there own specific design for their shield?
Joe,

There are a bunch of variations on the shields used on the official Boy Scout knives. You can scroll through the "All Scout Knives Thread (link below) and you'll see a wide variety of them. In addition there are a lot of non official versions which would often say "Scout" or something similar because they were after that market as well. Even among the official Boy Scout knives that bear the Boy Scout emblem you will find plenty of variations.
Check it out, but be careful, those scout knives are more addictive than cocaine. :mrgreen:
If that gets you interested here's a website where many of then knives shown are owned by the AAPK crowd. The owner of the site is also one of our own.

Phil

http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... out+thread

Scoutknives.net........ http://www.scoutknives.net/
Phil
AAPK Administrator

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
tortelvis

Post by tortelvis »

even more addictive than coffee haagen dazs ? ::blah:: ::cr:: ::paranoid:: ::groove::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

philco wrote:Check it out, but be careful, those scout knives are more addictive than cocaine.
Yes, I know! Image
AAPK Janitor
AllenMcB

Post by AllenMcB »

FRJ wrote: It was stated that L.F. & C. made the B.S.A. shield. Did all knife makers make their own B.S.A. shields? Didn't Boy Scouts of America have there own specific design for their shield?
Each manufacturer made their own shield design. The one shown on this knife is a real LF&C (Landers, Frary, and Clark) shield. No question about that, as only LF&C used this specific shield.

I wrote the owner of this ebay listing, and he replied (a very pleasant reply), but his claim was that he was not an expert, he'd leave it up to the buyer to do their own research, but he was pretty sure he'd seen Case BSA knives n the past. He suggested maybe this was one of just a few made by Case back in the day.

(sigh)

No story he can cook up changes the published history of BSA knives. This is an LF&C frame with at least one non-original blade. It might make an interesting every day carrier, but it has zero collectible value.
www.ScoutKnives.Net
Online Boy Scout Knife Collection
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Hey it's like this i been trading 40+ years and you will get a few lessons
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”