Antique Quill Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Antique Quill Knives

Post by Miller Bro's »

I think Quill knives are very interesting to collect. They are from a time long gone by where you had to sharpen a feather to use as a writing instrument. They all but disappeared in their true form by the 1830`s. So most authentic early Quill knives are at least 172 years old.

Here is some good information from Wikipedia on the subject:

"A quill pen is a writing implement made from a flight feather (preferably a primary wing-feather) of a large bird. Quills were used for writing with ink before the invention of the dip pen, metal-nibbed pens, the fountain pen, and, eventually, the ballpoint pen. The hand-cut goose quill is rarely still used as a calligraphy tool, mainly because many papers are derived from wood pulp and wear down the quill very quickly, but it is still the tool of choice for a few select professionals and does provide a sharp stroke, and more flexibility than a steel pen. The hollow shaft of the feather (calamus) acts as an ink reservoir and ink flows to the tip by capillary action.

The strongest quills come from the primary flight feathers discarded by birds during their annual moult. Generally the left wing is favored by the right-handed majority of writers because the feathers curve out to the right, away from the hand holding the pen, but because of the current scarcity of substantial quills this is usually overlooked as the curvature is not actually so pronounced as to cause any difficulty to the professional.

Goose feathers are most commonly used; scarcer, more expensive swan feathers are considered premium. Depending on availability and strength of the feather, as well as quality/characteristic of the line wanted by the writer, other feathers used for quill-pen making include feathers from the swan, goose, crow, eagle, owl, hawk, and turkey. The barbs are always stripped off partially or completely as they are an impractical distraction. The fancy, fully plumed quill is mostly a Hollywood invention and has little basis in reality. Most, if not all, manuscript illustrations of scribes show a quill devoid of decorative barbs, or at least mostly stripped.

History
Quills were the principal writing instrument from the 6th to the 19th century, the best of which were usually made from goose and swan feathers, and later, turkey feathers, However, quills went into decline after the invention of the metal pen, first patented in America in 1810 and then mass produced by 1860.

According to the Supreme Court Historical Society, 20 goose-quill pens, neatly crossed, are placed at the four counsel tables each day the U.S. Supreme Court is in session; "most lawyers appear before the Court only once, and gladly take the quills home as souvenirs." This has been done since the earliest sessions of the Court.

Quills are denominated from the order in which they are fixed in the wing, the first called the pinion is that favoured by the expert calligrapher, the second and third quills being very satisfactory also. No other feather on the wing would be considered suitable by a professional scribe.

Information can be obtained on the techniques of curing and cutting quills

"In order to harden a quill that is soft, thrust the barrel into hot ashes, stirring it till it is soft; then taking it out, press it almost flat upon your knees with the back of a penknife, and afterwards reduce it to a roundness with your fingers. If you have a number to harden, set water and alum over the fire; and while it is boiling put in a handful of quills, the barrels only, for a minute, and then lay them by."

Today
A quill knife was the original primary tool used for cutting and sharpening quills, known as 'dressing'.

Following the decline of the quill in the 1820s, following the introduction of the maintenance-free, steel dip nib, knives were still manufactured but became known as desk knives, stationery knives or latterly as the name stuck 'pen' knives. There is a small but significant difference between a pen knife and a quill knife, in that the quill knife has a blade that is flat on one side and convex on the other which facilitates the round cuts required to shape a quill.

A 'pen' knife by contrast has two flat sides. This distinction is not recognised by modern traders, dealers or collectors who define a quill knife as any small knife with a fixed or hinged blade, including such items as ornamental fruit knives."

Let`s see your old Quill knives.

Here is a J. Rodgers & Son`s G (crown) R, circa 1820-1830. I love the stag handles on this one ::drool::
Attachments
z.jpg
q.JPG
r.JPG
s.JPG
AAPK Janitor
knifegirl888

Re: Antique Quill Knives

Post by knifegirl888 »

MB,

The stag Joseph Rodger's quill is a magnificent piece! :mrgreen:
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

That is very nice. The stag is fantastic. Thanks for the information aswell. I think this is my only quill knife.... sadly, no maker's mark. :) s-k

Rust Never Sleeps
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

::tu:: thanks for all that info miller bros. i only have one too ! new york knife co.
Attachments
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 12886 times
Never Argue With a idiot
They'll bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
PAUL
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Dimitri, thanks for that valuable information.
Your knife is beautiful. Driping with history.
May I ask; what would one expect to pay for something that nice?

Thank you.
Joe
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Here are a couple of oldies. First, is an ivory American Knife Co. Plymouth. c1849-1875. The second one is just marked "Union". I asked on Levine's forum which Union he believed it to be. He stated with the font used that he would suspect Union, Naugatuck. c1851-1885.
Attachments
American Knife Co. Plymouth.jpg
Union quill.jpg
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

paulsvintage wrote:i only have one too ! new york knife co.
Paul, your knife is a Serpentine or, if it is under 3", a Peanut jack pattern ::nod::
smiling-knife wrote:I think this is my only quill knife.... sadly, no maker's mark
S-K, it is sad that many of the later 19th century Quills are not marked, I have several :(

FRJ wrote:May I ask; what would one expect to pay for something that nice?
I would imagine around $100 ::shrug:: , unfortunately they do not bring in a premium dollar. Not many small single bladed knives do.
knifegirl888 wrote:The stag Joseph Rodger's quill is a magnificent piece!

I have enjoyed seeing the ones posted so far, I know there are many more out there :wink:
AAPK Janitor
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
paulsvintage wrote:i only have one too ! new york knife co.

Paul, your knife is a Serpentine or, if it is under 3", a Peanut jack pattern ::nod::
::tear:: 3 inches i will have to change the paperwork on it
smiling-knife wrote:I think this is my only quill knife.... sadly, no maker's mark
S-K, it is sad that many of the later 19th century Quills are not marked, I have several :(

FRJ wrote:May I ask; what would one expect to pay for something that nice?
I would imagine around $100 ::shrug:: , unfortunately they do not bring in a premium dollar. Not many small single bladed knives do.
knifegirl888 wrote:The stag Joseph Rodger's quill is a magnificent piece!

I have enjoyed seeing the ones posted so far, I know there are more out there :wink:
Never Argue With a idiot
PAUL
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

These are the only two of mine I have half decent pictures of. I buy everyone I can find at a reasonable price. I really like them they are so finely made.

I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Those are cool! Do you know who made them?
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

On most of these quill knives, the blade seems to be about half the length of the handles, is this the norm or is it from years of sharpening?
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

From my observation, the blades weren't intended to be very long. My quills have all seen lots of use though. Here is a picture of a quill (I don't know the maker) & the side view of it.
Attachments
J.C. Quill.jpg
Quill side.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

tjmurphy wrote:On most of these quill knives, the blade seems to be about half the length of the handles, is this the norm or is it from years of sharpening?
TJ,

The blades are this length because the backspring wraps around and extends much further into the blade cavity than a normal knife would ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

[quote="Miller Bro`s"]I think Quill knives are very interesting to collect. They are from a time long gone by where you had to sharpen a feather to use as a writing instrument. They all but disappeared in their true form by the 1830`s. So most authentic early Quill knives are at least 172 years old.

I'm so glad to be reaquointed with this thread because I have since bought a nice quill, but it aint 172 years old.

It is a Northfield that I posted on the "Northfield" thread I started. I am very happy to have this knife.
The handle is horn. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
027.JPG
026.JPG
030.JPG
022.JPG
Joe
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

::super_happy:: Joe thats a real nice one and that tang stamp makes it even nicer

i have one i think it might be a Miller brothers . i don't have much info on old Miller brothers prior to 1910
Attachments
P1010163.JPG
P1010166.JPG
Never Argue With a idiot
PAUL
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
tjmurphy wrote:On most of these quill knives, the blade seems to be about half the length of the handles, is this the norm or is it from years of sharpening?
TJ,

The blades are this length because the backspring wraps around and extends much further into the blade cavity than a normal knife would ::nod::
Thanks Dimitri, I see that now. KG and FRJ, thanks for the pics of your knives. I now understand the short blades. I learned something today so it is a good day for me in the knifing world. ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

A few more of mine and better pictures of the first two.

I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is a quill knife made by Camillus in 1932.
It is a replica of George Washington's quill knife.
The blades are actually shiny. The darkness is a trick of the scanner.
The signature is a reproduction of his signature.
Attachments
Camillus Geo Washington.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

::tu:: very nice Iron & Dale . a lot of history going on with Quill knives
Never Argue With a idiot
PAUL
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

H. Boker's Improved Cutlery.
Attachments
109-0986_IMG.JPG
109-0985_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

thegreedygulo,

That's a nice one! I love your avatar though. If that pearl dog would ever run away from you, I hope it finds it's way to my house! ::nod::

Kathy
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a Miller Bros. that wont quit.
Attachments
001.JPG
008.JPG
010.JPG
002.JPG
012.JPG
011.JPG
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice one Joe! ::tu::
That is some fiery pearl!!!!! ::drool::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Dale, it's one of my favorite knives. Great stamp. I think Ray (Paladin) said the smaller knives were the most difficult to make. I can see the reasoning in that. What say you?
Joe
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don’t know about making them, but they sure harder to work on, especially if you have arthritis in your hands. :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”