Owl Head

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Ratchet

Owl Head

Post by Ratchet »

Just bought some Owl Head brand pocket knives, I don't know much about them...., compared to some of the other brands I have they don't seem to have a consistent "snap" (or is it "walk & talk"). One seems stiff while another feels loose...., has a "soft" snap....

the other thing I noticed is that one blade tang stamp is etched while another is actually stamped into the blade.

they are from "MUNICH Ironworks".....

They seem alright for carrying around to use & not care about damaging or losing it...

anyone care to enlighten me on the company or workmanship / quality of these knives, or general comments? Still learning the basics of knife quality & workmanship.

Ratchet
CarlM

Post by CarlM »

I have one owls head, a 4 blade congress. It seems cheaply made with weak springs, no snap. I could be wrong but I don't believe there IS a Munich Iron Works. Mine looks more like it was made in Hang Chang China.
Carl
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

lower quality chinese, german cutlery names are often used as well as american.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Most folks believe they are made in China using a German name. After 2 years of intensive internet research, Munich Ironworks is not something I or a couple others have been able to find when it comes to knives. No, they don't have any quality consistancy at all and I rate them lower than a Rough Rider knife. You can learn a lot from the following thread about Rough Riders.
http://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_f ... .php?t=290
I buy and tear apart some RR's, Steel Warriors and Owl head knives about yearly and have done this 3 times and what I see is that the RR's and Owl Head are the same while Steel Warrior has improved a little. (started when they first came out). The Owl head knives may have up to 4 different German names on the tang with Oil The Joints and the quality is always sketchy. There is an old thread or 2 about these knives and their mysterious beginnings. It appears that they are made in China and given a German name on the tangs, DECEPTION at work.
There is a Munich Ironworks in Germany but they do Steel Building Construuction, not knives.
Sorry but in my opinion they are not worth buying and I won't be buying any more as they just do not have the quality that low quality Chinese knives have, like the Rough Rider. Some sellers on Ebay say they are German, or German made parts assembled in China. They are sharp, but that is just the angle that they were shapened at. They have poor quality Chinese written all over them and just a few sellers know the truth and they aren't talking. Deception is the rule with these knives, their origins seem to be secretive, as you can not find an Owl Head web site after 3 years of selling, fishy! ::td::
Hukk
ButchTN

Post by ButchTN »

First off I would like to say that at one point in time (late 80's - early nineties) Owl Heads were made in Solingen, Germany by the same people who made Buck Creek and Bear & Bull (remember the older Buck Creek knives that also had "oil the joints" stamped on them. Kevin Pipes at SMKW has a nice collection of the older ones. They came in a trapper, stockman and congress pattern with various natural handle materials that included Mammoth bark ivory, genuine MOP, stag and smooth bone. I am not sure of the exact facts but at some point Hen & Rooster (or whoever owns the H&R trademark) acquired the Buck Creek name and Buck Creeks started being produced by the same people who make H&R and German Bull (now somehow affiliated with Jim Frost), and Owl Heads and Bear and Bulls dissappeared. Well in 2004 Stewart Taylor of Taylor Cutlery in Kingsport TN started importing these Chinese made Owl Heads that are stamped Munich Iron Works and have "oil the joints" etched, not stamped, on the blades (the original German made Owl Heads had "oil the joints" stamped on them as well as the double Owl Head logo and Solingen, Germany). Taylor brings these "new" owlheads in from China and has an agreement to sell every single one to a certain dealer in KY. Every year they make 2-3 different patterns in 3-4 different handle materials/colors. At the end of each year when the new production run comes out the dealer in KY sells off the remaining stock from the last production run to different dealers/jobbers around the southeast and he starts selling the new production run, with the the new patterns and handle materials/colors. If you search for Owl Heads on ebay you will be able to see who the main dealer is (He will be the only one selling Owl Heads with the patterns and handle materials that you havent seen before the last month) Along with these Chinese made Owl Heads this same Chinese company also makes Bear & Bull, German Creek, German Bobcat etc, all imported by Taylor and sold to the same KY dealer. This particular dealer does not claim that these knives are made in Germany but he also doesnt volunteer the info that they are made in China either (he will tell you they are made in China if you ask him directly though). I am not trying to bash this particular dealer or Taylor Cutlery in anyway so I hope it isnt taken that way. I am just offering up a little information that I personally know about Owl Heads, since after reading three or four different threads about how nobody has any info on them. I would like to be able to give you a site you can go to and read this info yourself but like Hukk said there is no info about the new ones on the internet. As for the older, German made Owl Heads, Buzz Parker has had several for sale on ebay in the last couple of months if anyone cares to look them up. Sorry for being so long winded with this post. I just thought I would share a little first hand information.

Butch
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Thanks Butch! That is the most I've heard and I'm happy to get the information. It also explains why my (and many others) internet searches have been fruitless. This fills in a lot of blanks for me and I appreciate it!
::tu:: ::tu::
Hukk
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

The ones that I have seen were Chinese crap ::td:: and as far as not bashing the KY dealer.... I think anyone who lies or omits important information about an item he or she is selling,deserves more than just a bashing!!!...Thats called a SCAM were I come from....I think they should be barred from Ebay.IMO

Butch I mean you no disrespect only the dealer.Your posts are always very informative. ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
ButchTN

Post by ButchTN »

Hi Johnnie. No disrespect taken. I, like yourself, feel that deception by omission is the same as lying. I just felt that this forum was intended for the sharing of information and ideas and not for voicing my opinions of some of the shady, disreputable characters and practices that inhabit this hobby that we love so much. If Bryan ever decides to add a forum just for venting and flaming, I am sure you will see that we are of a like mind on things like this.

Butch
CarlM

Post by CarlM »

Here is one seller that states they are made in Germany and I would bet that he knows better.
http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Owl-Head-Con ... dZViewItem
Carl
SFC ADP

Post by SFC ADP »

Anyone else get the January issue of Knife World?
Nice article on "Strengthening the Knife Industry"
Seems to follow along with some of the discussions we have had on here with foriegn made knives.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Carl,If he didn't know ,he does now..I informed him via email ::dang::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
Ratchet

Post by Ratchet »

Wow, Thanks Butch, that was a lot of information. I admit that I was disappointed in the quality of the Owl Heads, they certainly look better in a picture than having one in your hand! I have 4, and thats 3 too many! Won't be buying any more of that brand.

Thanks again for everyones input...., I really enjoy hearing some history on the different brand knives, from the top quality to the lower end cheaply made ones.

Ratchet
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

SFC ADP wrote:Anyone else get the January issue of Knife World?
Nice article on "Strengthening the Knife Industry"
Seems to follow along with some of the discussions we have had on here with foriegn made knives.
Hey SFC,

I got the January issue and thought the article was right out of one of our discussions like you mentioned..Big changes are happening and I wonder after reading that article and our discussions just what the future is going to look like in 25 years in the domestic cutlery business.

Sunburst
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
Yogi

Re: Owl Head

Post by Yogi »

Hi all,

I happened to buy an obviously oder Owl Head 3-blade pocket knive on an antique market in the Netherlands yesterday. The grip inlays are made from natural horn and they show visible wear - while they most likely were polished when the knive was manufactured, they now are a bit rough - but no cracks.

This knive seems to gave gone through various adventures and has been worked with a lot - but everything still is fully functional and 100% stable and in order. All blades are sharp, can be opened and closed without problems and have a clear snap into open/close position. If opened, the blades are stable and not at all shaky.

Both, optically as well as haptically the knive creates an impression of solidty and quality - a very nice peace of craftsmenship.

I am not an expert in pocket knives at all, but the one I have has definitely not been built/produced in China or elsewhere in Far East.

It has the characteristic double Owl Face logo on all blades and on the other side of the biggest blade it is stamped "OH-SH MUNICH GERMANY". On the two smaller blades the backsides are stamped "OIL THE JOINTS".

I am happy with my purchase, as I find the knive beautiful and also valuable.
debraco

Post by debraco »

I purchased an owl head in 1987 at a gun show from a knife maker hailing from Kentucky, he made damascus knives and said he had the owl heads made specifically for him in Germany. Unfortunately i don't recall his name, at the time he was probably in his mid 50's, i know he must have been well thought of because he wasn't lacking business despite charging about 1k for a damascus sheath knife in 1987 dollars. I think i paid $50 for the owl head, its standard was above the buck and schrades of the day
Mcpark82

Post by Mcpark82 »

Hello, first time posting here! I just found an Owl Head that must’ve belonged to my grandfather. This post is really the only thing ive managed to find about it but it looks like its an older one that actually was made in Germany. Anyone know a ballpark value of one of these?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK, debraco and Mcpark82. I don't know anything about Owl Heads but others may. Nice searching skills too, this is a pretty old thread from back in AAPK's inaugural days. 😎👍

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Unfortunately Owl Head currently has a reputation as a low end knife, which will likely hurt its value even though yours was made in Germany. The sentimental value to you as an heirloom belonging to your family is priceless. ::tu::

Recommend you do an advanced search of eBay limited to sold listings only of Owl Head knives. You may be able to find some prior sales of German-made examples from which to get a ballpark value. I would be remiss if I don’t refer you to this “sticky” thread where you will find some useful information: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77592

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”