GEO SCHRADE???

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
GA1dad

GEO SCHRADE???

Post by GA1dad »

I just picked up two girl scout mess kits. One marked Geo Schrade and the other Boker. I haven't been able to find much info on the Schrade. One post here states that Boker bought Geo. Schrade in '54, then closed it down in '56. Is that correct? Does that mean this mess kit is pre 1954.

It's a cool looking set. I used it today to eat lunch. Would really like to know more about it. Any help appreciated.
Attachments
schrade2.jpg
schrade1.jpg
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEO SCHRADE???

Post by orvet »

George Schrade invented several types on knives and knife making machines.
He held patents on the Wire Jack knife, pull ball type knives, & several switch blade mechanisms.
He started & sold several knife companies. He opened Geo. Schrade Knife Co in 1929.
George died in 1940 and his son & grandson ran the company until 1956 when they sold it to Boker USA.
Boker ran the company using the Boker markings until 1958 when they closed it.
That would coincide with when the US passed anti-switchblade laws.
-source- Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings.

I suspect they bought the Geo. Schrade Co. to gain rights to George's patents on switchblades.
I think Boker may have also made knives with the Geo. Schrade stamp as well as Boker.
They would be within their rights if they did as they owned the Geo. Schrade name then.
Come to think of it, I believe I have seen knives with both the Boker & Geo. Schrade markings on them.

Here is a Wire Jack with unusual markings as it doesn't have the Schrade or Boker name on it.
Wire Jack.jpg
I have a Girl Scout mess kit much like yours, in a leather pouch with a Wire Jack knife, Wire Jack fork (without cap lifter) and a short handled spoon, but can't find a pic of it just now.

Old Geo. Schrade invented a lot of knife mechanisms and knife making machines.

Hope this helps,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
GA1dad

Re: GEO SCHRADE???

Post by GA1dad »

Thanks Dale !!! Just what I needed.
[b] A Harley can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no Harley!!! [/b]

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”