Robeson Shuredge Mastercraft

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
superdavemack

Robeson Shuredge Mastercraft

Post by superdavemack »

I just got a 2 blade yellow composition Robeson Shuredge Mastercraft, marked Robeson Shuredge Rochester with the Shuredge in a cursive like script, the main blade is numbered 423657 and the small blade says patt app for, I read in Price and Zalesky's 15th edition that Mastercraft featured a bronze tang insert? and this knife maybe falls into the 1911 to 1940 age.....I would really appreciate any information
2010_0326mastercraft0003.JPG
trail

Re: Robeson Shuredge Mastercraft

Post by trail »

The best place to start researching Robeson knives is http://www.robesonsrme.com/ where you can probably find everything you want to know about your knife. It's a real gold mine for Robeson collectors.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Nice pick up!
Are the handles yellow or imitation ivory?
Do the blades open and close without stopping in several positions?
The horseshoe shaped bronze bearings sometimes fall off the tangs, leaving a series of little dovetail cutouts on the tang that catches the edge of the backspring, stopping the blade's movement.
Robeson introduced the MasterCraft line of knives in 1929. When Emerson Case was hired to run the company in 1940, the line was changed sometime thereafter in that the bronze bearing was moved from the end of the tang to the inside surface of the backspring. The name was changed from MasterCraft to PermaLube. I do not know when they stopped making the Permalube knives, but I suspect it would have been early in WWII.
Below is a couple of pics of a MasterCraft salesman's demo knife.
Charlie Noyes
Attachments
24-MasterCraftDemo.jpg
25-MCBearing.jpg
25-MCBearing.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
superdavemack

Post by superdavemack »

thanks for the info, I'm going to check out that Robeson website and very cool pictures of your Mastercraft.....great knife!
superdavemack

Post by superdavemack »

now that you mention it I believe the handles are imitation Ivory. great picture of the green Mastercraft it clearly shows the brass tang bearing very interesting.....and I checked out that Robeson site that is really good.......thanks again
superdavemack

Post by superdavemack »

on that Robeson site I found this very Mastercraft knife, Ivoroid serpentine #423657....here's the photo of that
M-Craft orig..jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”