Some new ones from Mercator/Otter Messer

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
trail

Some new ones from Mercator/Otter Messer

Post by trail »

I noticed some new Otter Messer knives at World Knives, including a large rigger. With Camillus defunct and the Buck rigger long out of production, it is nice to see a traditional rigger that should be of better quality than the Rough Riders and Colonials coming out of China. The rigger doesn't have the usual Otter Messer blade etch, and I contacted Chris at World Knives to confirm these were not Chinese knockoffs. He sent me a letter from the plant manager at Mercator who stated that in a hurry to ship the knives they had neglected to etch them, but that they were assuredly of Solingen manufacture. I am going to order one and will post pictures as soon as it comes in.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some new ones from Mercator/Otter Messer

Post by philco »

I'm interested to see what it looks like and curious to know what the cost is (if you would be so kind) :)

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
trail

Post by trail »

They cost $39.95 plus shipping. I'll post some pictures when mine comes in. In the meantime, here's a link:

http://www.worldknives.com/products/ott ... -2550.html
john6553

Post by john6553 »

Hello trail,
Please let us/me know how you like it. Both my kids do a lot of sailing and I want to get them a really nice and not to expensive knife.
Thank you in advance,
John
trail

Post by trail »

Well, the Mercator rigger is here and I'm not real impressed. The knife seems to be unfinished, and I wonder if the plant is in such bad straits that it is having to push unfinished product out the door to make payroll. The blade has no nail nick, the Messer Otter etch is not on the blade, in fact there is no indication on the knife at all of who made it or where it came from. The only stamp is on the tang and reads "Stainless." The handles are squared off as if they just got a quick hit on the sander rather than careful shaping.

It is a large knife, even larger than a Camillus rigger. The spike does not lock - something to be aware of if you are thinking of buying one. The joints are solid with good snap and no wobble. It's a decent knife, just no replacement for a Camillus, Case or Buck. John, I'd say if you are looking for riggers for your sons, keep an eye out on ebay for Camillus riggers, practically new ones sometimes sell in the $40 range. Or consider a Myerchin, they are smaller and more pocketable. To the best of my knowledge, they are made in Japan except for the latest model P300, which is made in China. My Myerchin Offshore Crew was made in Japan. There are also some other knives that I don't have experience with but might be good. Mercury makes an inexpensive spike knife in Italy and Ibberson/Rodgers makes somewhat more expensive ones in England. Stay away from the Blade Classics/Colonial/Schrade/Rough Riders, they are cheaply made Chinese knockoffs.

The first photo shows the Mercator with a Camillus for size comparison. The second photo is the Myerchin Offshore Crew.
Attachments
mercator_rigger_scaled.jpg
myerchin1.jpg
trail

Post by trail »

Going completely off topic on my own thread, but here's a little more info for John as he looks for nice knives for his sons. I bought an older Camillus rigger on ebay today for $26 plus shipping and missed a similar one for $17.16. I saw a 1975 Case rigger go today for $71.05. There are at least five Camillus riggers active on ebay right now, so they are readily available. Another thing to consider is the classic rope knife that Camillus and others made by the millions for the Navy during WWII. That's what I carry when I am sailing. A lot of sailors like to carry a knife and a separate spike.
john6553

Post by john6553 »

trail wrote:Going completely off topic on my own thread, but here's a little more info for John as he looks for nice knives for his sons. I bought an older Camillus rigger on ebay today for $26 plus shipping and missed a similar one for $17.16. I saw a 1975 Case rigger go today for $71.05. There are at least five Camillus riggers active on ebay right now, so they are readily available. Another thing to consider is the classic rope knife that Camillus and others made by the millions for the Navy during WWII. That's what I carry when I am sailing. A lot of sailors like to carry a knife and a separate spike.
Hi trail,
It's too bad about your new knife. Sounds like you're not to happy can you return it? You should have to keep something that doesn't meet your expectations.
I'll take a look at ebay's selection. I think that's a cool idea to buy a used knife one that was used by a US Navy sailor. It gives the knife character and history. I was leaning toward the Italian Mercury Sailor's Folding Marlin Spike Knife - 8997-2G, but now I just might go with a Camillus.
Thank you for advice, and return the knife if you can,
John

Return to “European-made knives”