Solingen pocket knife with KKK

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
birddogonyx

Solingen pocket knife with KKK

Post by birddogonyx »

I have recently come across this knife, and am interested in selling, but I have no idea of it's value. I understand that ebay is not possible due to the offensive nature of the knife, so I am wondering where I may sell it as well.
Thanks for any help.
Attachments
kkk.jpg
kkk.jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 11268 times
basser5

Re: Solingen pocket knife with KKK

Post by basser5 »

how much are you asking for it?
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
birddogonyx

Post by birddogonyx »

The reason for the post is that I don't know what it is worth, so right now I can't answer your question.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

birddogonyx wrote:The reason for the post is that I don't know what it is worth, so right now I can't answer your question.
You won't find this knife in any price reference books , therefore , it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it . If you can't determine a fair price based on your purchase price + a reasonable mark-up for profit , maybe you should put it up for auction on AAPK on Thursday night or list it on AAPK's Knife-Auction.com .

Bob R. (RIDGEWOOD CUTLERY)
gino

Post by gino »

You could sell it here but you have to give a price. My advice would be to to do as Bob said or take offers for a few days and sell it to the highest one. It is a interesting knife to the right person but you dont have a goldmine.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
birddogonyx

Post by birddogonyx »

I didn't really think I had a gold mine, but since this isn't my business field I thought someone may know more than me about this knife. I may have been wrong. Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay. If anyone wanted to make an offer, I would consider it if fair.
arathol

Post by arathol »

I understand that ebay is not possible due to the offensive nature of the knife
Why? Did you ask? There is a lot of KKK stuff sold regularly on Ebay. Genuine vintage KKK stuff is quite collectible it seems.
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

Those are generally classified as novelty knives, must like the fake Hitler folders. I've probably sold 20 over the years and usually ask about ten bucks.
birddogonyx

Post by birddogonyx »

Roush428r wrote:Those are generally classified as novelty knives, must like the fake Hitler folders. I've probably sold 20 over the years and usually ask about ten bucks.
Guess I was hoping more like $50-$60 was the market. For $10 I'll throw it in my tackle box along with my Japanese made fake Hitler folders. Or to be more truthful, maybe I will put it on ebay and see if it gets pulled off.
keithw

Post by keithw »

BirdDog,

Hy Kaufman & Sons were the makers of the Buck Creek knives of the 70's.
You don't see a lot of those, so I would certainly put its value higher than $10.
I bought one exactly like yours a few months ago from a member here at AAPK.
I think I paid around $30 for it.
Look at the link for the Thursday knife auctions here, it doesn't cost anything to
put something up, and you can place a min. bid on it, so you really can't lose.

Good luck,
Keith
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I'm reasonably sure I'm accurate with this information.

I recall seeing almost an entire eight foot table covered with boxes of these knives at a knife show in the past, most likely in the 1990's. I'm not talking about a box of 1/2 doz. knives. The boxes were as large or larger than a block of .22 cal ammunition. And, the boxes were stacked three high in some places.

Some of the knives were single blade Barlows, like yours. Others were two blade Barlows and some were two blade trapper patterns.

There had to have been hundreds of each pattern on the table.

My recollection is the table belonged to Jim Parker. If not, it was right next to his tables.

I guess my point is that whatever they are, they are not rare.

You could get by selling it on Ebay if you aren't really blatant about the KKK connection. List the knife and let your photos do most of the talking.

Ebay does have a policy against KKK items, as well as Nazi memorabilia.

They also forbid switchblades with a blade over three inches, but such knives sell regularly on Ebay. They just aren't listed as switchblades. Certain code words or phrases are used and the photos show everything about the knives except the activating button.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
keithw

Post by keithw »

Charlie,

I stand corrected. I was just going by the fact that I rarely see anything marked Kaufman.
But, if there was that many in one place, they can't be too hard to find.
It wouldn't be the first time that I've overpaid for a knife,
and if I live until tomorrow, it won't be the last. ::nod::

Thanks for the info,
Keith
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

'95 PKCS catalog.
Attachments
hy.jpg
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
RobesonsRme.com

Based on that ad from the Parker Knife Collector Service, I think I might have been wrong about there being a trapper pattern. Maybe, they were all Barlows, as shown in the catalog.

Keith, at that show (I think it was a Blade Show)they were attempting to sell as many of those boxes of knives in bulk sales as they could. They were not really interested in single sales. I think the flea marketeers and trade day knife men were picking them up for not a whole lot of money. They, in turn, probably did pretty well with them in certain areas........
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I have a trapper pattern but it was made by Frost. I'd guess that the KKK stuff was put on aftermarket.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

About 15 years ago I had a chance to buy an authentic 1930`s era pocket knife with clear celluloid handles. Under the handles were KKK code, on one side it asked if you were a KKK member. The idea was the owner would set the knife down on a table if you were having coffee etc. in a public place. If you turned the knife over without saying anything, you were a member. The other side in code said I am a KKK member.

I believe the knife was made by either G.R.C. or Novelty Cut. Co. the dealer was asking too much for it, and I don`t like celluloid, so I passed on buying it.

Never seen another one quite like it, probably shoulda bought it :lol:
AAPK Janitor
poelten

Post by poelten »

is this knife still for sale?
best regards,
Rene

birddogonyx wrote:I have recently come across this knife, and am interested in selling, but I have no idea of it's value. I understand that ebay is not possible due to the offensive nature of the knife, so I am wondering where I may sell it as well.
Thanks for any help.
birddogonyx

Post by birddogonyx »

poelten wrote:is this knife still for sale?
best regards,
Rene

birddogonyx wrote:I have recently come across this knife, and am interested in selling, but I have no idea of it's value. I understand that ebay is not possible due to the offensive nature of the knife, so I am wondering where I may sell it as well.
Thanks for any help.
Sorry. Sold.
backlip

Post by backlip »

Anyone have info on this knife? Looks like the text was simply put on after the knife was made. I’m sure they did this to many knives.

I do not share the views represented by such a group. That should go without saying.
Attachments
B92786D3-632E-47FE-A7B2-5036336CA983.jpeg
5A582463-BD69-46DC-973A-CFE70017CFBB.jpeg
8A24D12F-0B98-4C7C-A936-817F913D9B62.jpeg
backlip

Post by backlip »

Also, not interested in keeping this (it was inherited) so looking to sell.
RobesonsRme.com

I don’t recognize the shield.

German made, though.

And the etch could have been done at the factory or aftermarket.

No idea on value.

I used to have an application for membership in that organization.

It was given to my paternal grandfather at work.

He never filled it out nor return it.

It was bizarre and the penalties suggested for violating the code of the order were severe.

I had it framed, along with about a dozen Hot Rod Magazine centerfolds, but that all disappeared sometime while I was in Service.

I suspect Mom cleaned house.

And no, I have no respect or admiration for anything or anyone ever associated with them.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
backlip

Post by backlip »

Thanks for sharing that. Looks etched aftermarket. Honestly, a really nice Solingen folder otherwise.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”