King of the Woods pics

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bret888

King of the Woods pics

Post by Bret888 »

I have been wanting a King of the Woods for a long time, and now in a weeks time, I have 2! I thought they all had a blade etch, but now I am not sure? The liner lock one, appears to have the original blade finish, but no sign of an etch? The swing guard one, has had some blade polishing done on it, so it would be gone, if it had an etch.
Also, what about shields? Did they only come on some variations? Or, did they come only on some years? I can't find many details in the books that we have. Any pictures or help on these details would be appreciated.
Attachments
PA030036.JPG
PA030035.JPG
PA030038.JPG
bonehead

Re: King of the Woods pics

Post by bonehead »

Brett,

Don't know a thing about the King of The Woods, But those guys don't need a thing. Beautiful ::nod::
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

The ones with etching are really hard to find. I have one with most of the original finish and part of the etch has faded away.
Attachments
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG (36.81 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG (38.86 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

Thanks Bonehead, I am very happy to get them!
J-Ben, I see yours has no shield, does that mean only the back lock model got a shield?
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Brett,
Those are two great knives, but that swinguard is a real stunner. Those wormgroove handles are awesome!!
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

888, the 12819 and 12829 never came with a shield as far as I know. the 12839 came with the over sized federal shield and if you are lucky you can find one with a big compass or a pair of dice. I am still looking for the dice.
Attachments
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (34.35 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Wow!! Fellers. Those are really nice. Hope it ain't a dumb question, but, who makes them? They are great!!
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

T.J.,
That would be Cattaraugus. These knives are terrific, heavy-duty knives. I am surprised how much heavier the liner lock is then the swing guard. That extra layer of brass for the liner really makes it a handfull!

Jackknifeben,
Bret had told me just after getting the first one, that he would like to get one of each, a liner lock, the swing guard & the non-locking one. Now he will be on the hunt for the compass & the dice model also! I had better get us both working some overtime! :lol:
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Tanks KG888. I was going to say that but couldn't spell it ::doh:: :oops:
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

J-Ben, I am more impressed with your collection, every time you post a picture! I am learning a few things in this thread. I saw a compass one once online somewhere, and thought it was added later. I had no idea it was a factory option!
Tell me more about the dice? is it a shield?
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Glad you like them. The one I don't have has a pair of real small dice in a pocket something like the compass. The only one I have seen in the last 30 years was in pretty shape bad so I let it go. Good luck on finding either one of them. How close are you to Iowa, I could bore you for a couple of hours in my knife room.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

J-Ben, I will email you.
Dale Miller

Post by Dale Miller »

Brett, Outstanding Cats, I have my Grand Fathers 12829, no shield and the "King of The Woods" is long gone. I do know the knife was purchased new in 1923, The late Jim Parker valued it for me at a knife show in St. Petersburg FL., sometime in the early 1980's, I don't know what method was used to apply the writing on the blade, it may have been paint. I have posted a picture of my cat some time ago under "YOUR OLDEST KNIFE" catagory here on our web site, page 1. Great knife Brett, I have only seen illustrations of the "King of the Woods", and you have it pictured for all of us to see. Thank You, Dale Miller
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is a 12829 with the liner lock, grooved bolsters, and compass in handle that is AWOL ::tear::
Attachments
c1.JPG
c1.JPG (40.31 KiB) Viewed 972 times
c2.JPG
c2.JPG (27.19 KiB) Viewed 972 times
AAPK Janitor
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I could have been a pair of dice in a round inset capsule in that hole.
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

MB, that is a shame, whatever was in that hole......
Dale, I went and looked up your grandfathers knife. That is a nice one, and it is great you have it! My uncle has my grandfathers Remington 1173, and I am just glad it is in good hands in the family. I need to get some pics of it.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

here's my king,missing the swing guards
::shrug::
Attachments
king of woods.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I don't think any one noticed that the KING OF THE WOODS 12839 that sold in the last couple of week didn't have the swing guard and there was no hole in the blade for a swing guard. At least yours had the hole.
knifegirl888

Post by knifegirl888 »

Was this the one? It doesn't have a hole for the guard... I never noticed it until now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Large-Vintage- ... 3cb10f4241
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Yes. That knife just was not right from the start. I have never seen a KING OF THE WOODS without numbers and when I saw that it didn't have the hole for the swing guard I should have said some thing.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Wow!

$520.00
AAPK Janitor
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

I picked mine up at a gun show a few months back and was happy to get one even though the guard is missing.
I remember some talk in the repair&restoration forum about someone attempting to make swing guards for the King.
Wonder if that has gone forward or not?
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

cattaraugus57 wrote:I remember some talk in the repair&restoration forum about someone attempting to make swing guards for the King.
Wonder if that has gone forward or not?
I believe it was Elvis that offered to do it, but as far as I know nobody ever sent him an original guard to copy ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

that's right I remember now.
if I had one I'd surely send it....
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

-

Not all of the "King of the Woods" knives had swing guards. The model 12819 did not have the guard. The 12829 did not have the guard, however, it had a liner locking mechanism. I checked in Ritchie and Stewarts reproduction Cattaraugus Catalog. It shows three models of the large coke bottle "King of the Woods". The knife referenced in KnifeGirl's post doesn't exactly match any of the three shown in Ritchie and Stewart, but does look authentic to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along. By the way, I do own some Cattaraugus knives without pattern numbers stamped, although Cattaraugus was pretty good about pattern numbers.

P.S. I must have missed something since there are several correct knives, without the swing guard, shown in the earlier part of this thread, sorry.

-

Return to “General Knife Discussion”