New Canal Street Knife is Released ~ CARRY THE FOOTBALL™

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
D.P. Hunter

Re: New Canal Street Knife is Released ~ CARRY THE FOOTBALL™

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Justold52,

It is a real knife - with a very tough blade and a razor sharp edge
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
justold52

Post by justold52 »

D.P. Hunter wrote:Justold52,

It is a real knife - with a very tough blade and a razor sharp edge
Ok I found a place in my life for your football knife... :lol: 8)
I will hang it down from my morrow in my truck. About how long will the sheath hold it up side down so the blade does not fall out?

Well sorry you did not catch my hummer. I was talking like Crockadile Dunn Dee. "Thats not a knife.....This is a KNIFE"

Or are you talking about the YELLOW Banna Knife is real ? Cuz I do want one of those.

Just having fun at AAPK... ::ds::
Attachments
CS D'Holder Bowie Buffalo.jpg
CS D'Holder Bowie Buffalo.jpg (28.9 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

D.P. Hunter wrote:Gino,

I have been involved with the field testing and have personally seen the multitude of favorable reactions to this knife ~ even so I will grant you that it is not for everybody ~ and also that it is not inexpensive. The price of the knife reflects the cost of materials and labor. Like all Canal Street knives it is a custom hand-made production knife, it is made to last, and it is made in America.
Hi D.P. Hunter, I'm not trying to be argumentative but, why doesn't CS make some of the older patterns that none of the current cutlery companies of today are making? For example; a large (3 3/4 to 4 inch) swell end or tear drop pattern 2 bladed jack that they could offer with a spear or clip main blade, and a smaller pen secondary blade. Some other patterns are a cigar pattern, a easy open pattern, a toothpick or fish knife pattern, a Barlow or Granddaddy Barlow pattern, or a pruner/hawk bill pattern would be nice to see from CS also. Heck for my part, I'd like to see CS bring out a TL-29 electricians knife or a Marlin Spike pattern knife with CS's nice bone handles or stag handles on all of them I've mentioned above (a few 1095 carbon steel blades on some of the knives would be very welcomed by me and lots of other collectors/accumulators/users). A lot of people (the non- collecting, knife ignorant general public) most often only buy a trapper or stockman pattern because that's the only pattern they can find in store knife displays now days. Their choices of patterns are small and very limited. Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, I think CS makes very good quality knives and I like them personally. I do have to agree with gino though, most younger people of today aren't going to spend $100 on a knife when they can buy a Rough Rider for $4.00 that does the same thing that a $100 knife does, cut things. Honestly there's a lot of knife people that collect that wouldn't pay $100 for that football knife. The young adults of today would take the $96 left over from not buying a $100 CS football knife and buy some beer and go to a movie. I could be wrong (I have been before) but I don't believe that the CS football knife will be a big seller. I wish CS luck with it anyway though. The other pattern knives that CS makes are good quality made and they look & feel very nice also. Please note that this is all only my opinion on the football knife and the other pattern knives that CS makes. AAPK is not responsible or connected to my reply.

Aimus
gino

Post by gino »

DP
Eample-
Ford & GM messed up with the Mustang and the Cadillac a few decades ago with model design changes and new INOVATIVE thinking and almost went out of business because of it. Remember the Coca Cola thing? Bottom line is these companies realized they screwed up and fixed the mistake. CS just messed up on this one or should I say they DROPPED THE BALL.
Its okay to mess up but you have to recognize it when you do and fix it. I love CS knives and own a bunch but this knife is just - well stupid!!!
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

What did GM have to do with the Mustang ::shrug:: Anyway, as I see it, if you don't like it don't buy it. If they only sell one of the footballs, then somebody hit the jackpot. But at any rate, there's no need to be mean and hateful to DP just because you don't like it.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Umm, Ford made/makes the Mustang, I have to agree with TJ regarding the insults too. I think it's a bit premature to call the knife a failure, geez it's only been out for like a week. Like I said, you might be surprised at the sales figures. IMO it's not all THAT bad if you look at it in a gimmicky sort of way. Look at the baseball bat knives that Imperial et-al put out in the fifties and again in the seventies. Not something you'd use for anything other than display, but they still sold a bunch.

For those of us who prefer a more traditional knife, they're coming out with a sweet little lockback single blade serpentine knife in a month or two. It takes a LOT of money and time to develop a new pattern, and the returns on them are not astronomical considering the limited market of collectors willing to fork over the money for them. CS's is just looking for something that will reach a larger audience. THAT'S innovation, and it's a gamble for sure, but at least you have to give them credit for giving it a shot.

Eric
gino

Post by gino »

Eric
A gimic knife (as you called it) should not start at 100.00 or more. (my opinion)
I was just voicing my opinion and thats what makes this country great! I am allowed to do that!!
If some one from a knife company is going to post a knife on here and say how great and awesome it is and I (and I believe most others) think its a hunk a junk, I can voice my opinion about it.

Murph - Please quote me as to what I said that was "MEAN AND HATEFULL". By me saying dont like a knife and I think its overpriced??
I dont know what the heck you are talkin about???

P.S. yeah I know Ford makes the Mustang. I have owned 3 of them in my life.
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Aimus,

Yes - all your thoughts are all good ones and versions of almost everything you mentioned have been and are being discussed as potential designs -

as eric indicated a new lockback will be coming out in January (aprox.) it's been dubbed the Pinch - it is a single blade pocket knife

also there is a new D'Holder that is in the works too

also - no worries Gino - opinions are welcome and weighed - I hope mine are too
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
gino

Post by gino »

Thanks DP and like I stated earlier I own many CS knives and will continue to purchase them in the future. I love them! This was just my opinion on ONE knife.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Gino, didn't mean it to come off as a rant at ya, I was just suggesting a different scenario.

Mike, would that D'Holder be a bone stag handled mountain man estucheoned fixed blade? :wink: :D :D (just kidding guys, it's just I know it's own of Mike's favorite D'Holders :lol: )

Eric
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

hahaha
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
gino

Post by gino »

I am not mad at anyone and I hope no body is mad at me. I just state my opinions sometimes and I am getting older now and I am sometimes a "stubborn old dago" as my friends call me and I tend speak before I think (or type LOL). I dont mean to offend anyone.I was only talking about a KNIFE, no one personally.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

gino wrote: Murph - Please quote me as to what I said that was "MEAN AND HATEFULL". By me sayiong i dont like a knife and I think its overpriced??
I dont know what the heck you are talkin about???
gino wrote:Despite your best sales effort and desire to convince all that this is a great looking, inovative knife the bottom line is ITS VERY UGLY and very impractical. Canal dropped the ball on this one! No pun intended. I showed this knife to my son and a few of his buddies from college this morning, they laughed and thought it was hilarious looking. They are all between the age of 21 and 24.

When you call the knife industry a "copy cat industry" that is the most absurd thing I have heard in some time! That is like saying "yeah that whole shoe industry is a copy cat industry".
Thats hilarious!

Several times in your sales pitch you mention designing this knife was made to appeal to a "younger" collector group. Well this thing starts at 100.00 and I doubt very much that many young knife collectors will be able to fork over that much cash for a knife.

I have a "different idea how about a fruit handle or a vegetable handle? Thats different! Thats not copy cat like the rest of the entire knife industry as you earlier stated. Here are some great examples. These might apeal to the whole vegetarian crowd.

Sorry dude but you asked for it with your pushing of this idiotic looking knife after everyone gave an opinion of how foolish looking it is.
To me, those are mean and hateful comments to someone, anyone, and your last comment about the fruit knives is very sarchastic and in bad taste.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
gino

Post by gino »

Murph I WAS TALKING ABOUT A KNIFE not a person!!!

UGLY,IMPRACTICAL,IDIOTIC,FOOLISH all words directed towards a knife as my opinion of a KNIFE and its apearance, not a knife maker or salesman!!! Now explain how this was HATEFULL AND HURTFULL?? Did I hurt someones feelings giving my opinion of this knife?Should I have used NICER words?? If someone posts a knife and tells me his opinion of how great and wonderfull a knife it is I have the right to voice my opinion, like it or not.
The pics I took of the fruit handles were not meant to offend anyone. They were meant to be funny.

I didnt mean to hurt anyones feelings and did not direct anything at a person. I am done talikng about this too! I am getting to old to argue over a knife. Unless of course it is with my wife over me buying a new one.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) D.P. I know alot of the responses to your Football knife have been rather Harsh, I guess because it kind of caught us all by Surprise, but make no mistake, probably almost every member of our little club Supports and wants Canal Street Cutlery as an American Made Knife Company to grow, thrive and do well in the Knife selling arena. Heck our first 2009 Club Knife is a C.S.! although the Football knife is not for me, I hope C.S. sells a Million of them! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Thanks Mitch,

We appreciate your support and feed back fellas - that's why I come on here to tell you all what's going on.

Best regards,

Michael
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
tomcrx

Post by tomcrx »

I kind of like it. It is unique. I probaby will not buy it because I am not a fixed blade guy. The few I have just lanquish

I can see why CS is making it though. The traditioal market is kind of stagnant when it comes to attracting new buyers, whereas the novelty knife market is huge. Just ask Frost, Taylor, Case etc.

I hope it does attract some new blood. I sent pictures to my sisters-in-law and universally they all could see themselves buying it for their husbands, who are all football fans and not knife fans.

Do I want to see CS continue with traditional patterns, yes. If they want to branch to a different audience, while keeping their high standard of quality, I say go for it by all means.
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

MITCH RAPP wrote:8) .... almost every member of our little club Supports and wants Canal Street Cutlery as an American Made Knife Company to grow, thrive and do well in the Knife selling arena...... although the Football knife is not for me, I hope C.S. sells a Million of them! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

I couldnt agree more !!
Mark
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Hi D.P., I hope nothing I wrote was offending to you because I didn't mean it to be. I apologize to you if it did. I was just simply disagreeing with the football knife pattern. That being said, I do hope Canal Street sales a million of them. I agree with Mitch, I want Canal Street Cutlery to branch out and become stronger and stay in the business of making American quality made knives right here in the good ol' US of A. I have never seen a Canal Street made knife that wasn't quality made. I would like to see some of the current Colt brand (China made) knife patterns made by a USA cutlery company such as Canal Street. The new Colt brand knife patterns really caught my eye but, the China made part of them was the killer. If Canal Street Cutlery made some of those Colt patterns, I'd buy them in a NY. minute. I'm getting kind of limited on the new knives & their brands I buy now. I don't buy China made anything, and I will not buy from Case Cutlery ever again because of the way they have did me. That leaves Canal Street, GEC, Utica, Queen & their--S&M line, plus all of the knives they make under contract with different brand names on them. I understand that a knife company has to go through the process of elimination until it finds what the customer wants, and most importantly what they will buy. One dis-liked pattern will not stop Canal Street from being known as a quality maker of knives.

Aimus
justold52

Post by justold52 »

The pics I took of the fruit handles were not meant to offend anyone. They were meant to be funny.... ::dang:: "stubborn old dago" I was wanting one of those too.... :wink:

O no ONE more Canal Street D'Holder to buy. Well one or two :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Here is my latest Canal Street D'Holders. I am still waiting to get from my snail-man.

Time for an answer from a CS man. Why did you (as a company person) not put a number in any of the knife in this set? I am told the serial number set I am getting is # 2 and it is only on the back of the wooden display case. If I send or bring these knives will you serial number them for me? I checked on all my CS D'Holders and each one has a serial number.

Ok one more Question. Did D'Holder send you the blades for your CS D'Holder knives or did you make the blades? What steel are they? I have some that say 19C27 Sandvik on the Bowie Buffalo Horn that is numbered #9 and # 70.

Ken
Attachments
CS D'Holder Bowie.jpg
CS D'Holder Bowie.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
D'Holder[2].jpg
D'Holder[2].jpg (26.51 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Ken, I can almost guarantee that those knives are numbered, likely on the spine of the knife above the handle (which is probably why the seller didn't see it). The blades for both D'Holder patterns are done in-house and are Sandvik. You must be chompin' at the bit for that one!!! ::drool::

Eric
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Ken,

I have the same D'Holder set ~ and the trailing drop point hunter one as well ~ the knives are indeed numbered ~ opening that case up is a royal pain in the butt too ~ my drop point hunter set was opened because the bozo that shipped it to me didn't pack it correctly ~ it led to a whole odyssey which resulted in my becoming part of the Canal Street Family

the D'Holder blades are made by the Canal Street Cutlery guys - D designed it - and it was turned into an integral mold - the folks at canal street finish put edges on them

the new knife will probably not be an integral and it is in design right now so I can't tell you how it will be assembled until the design is finished ~ Wally is toying with the idea of using titanium bolsters on it

D tends to use AT-34 steel on his own knives ~ eric is correct the CSC D'Holders are 19C27 sandvik steel

I hope that answers your questions

Michael
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

What a weird knife for CS to come out with!
PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!
justold52

Post by justold52 »

[quote="D.P. Hunter"]Ken,
opening that case up is a royal pain in the butt too ~ my drop point hunter set was opened because the bozo that shipped it to me didn't pack it correctly
Well I can not call my shipper a bozo, cuz he shipped it in the CS box and packing. But yet it came to me damaged. In the top right corner at the 45 angle. The wood was split about 3/4" open. Man you talk about a poor designed wood showcase. This is has to be the worst I have ever seen. Did CS think if the knives were in the case they never had to be removed for cleaning? The seller and I fixed a deal and I am going to send the knives only to CS to have them for some work on the handles. When I have the time and after I call first. I think I can fix the showcase.

Wally is toying with the idea of using titanium bolsters on it.
I hope they do not use bolsters on any D'Holders. They are a part of the blade on the good ones. Some of the ones I have do use bolsters, but not the Bowie's. That is so kool that is one reason I like in the D'Holders knives.
Here are two to compare. The Russell Knife used bolsters.

Ken
Attachments
CS A. G. Russell Knife #4.jpg
CS A. G. Russell Knife #4.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
CS D'Holder.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Got a few shots of the football here, stout knife, and razor sharp too :oops: :lol:

Click 'em twice for maximum enlargement ::tu::
Attachments
Football large 900 pixels.jpg
Football 2 900 pixels.jpg
Football 3 900 pixels.jpg

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”