UTICA !!!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
OLDSMOKE

UTICA !!!

Post by OLDSMOKE »

Can anyone tell me anything about this company, I dont see very many of them around, I have one that my Grandad carried for many years.
It has a busted scale and I am in the process of fixxing it but the break is in a very strange shape, thanks ahead of time for any and all you guys effort.
Enjoy The Day
Rusty
Utica.jpg
Utica.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 11513 times
Uticabefore.jpg
Uticabefore.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 11511 times
Uticabefore01.jpg
Uticabefore01.jpg (17.76 KiB) Viewed 11641 times
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, DON'T HUNT WHAT YOU CAN'T KILL.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: UTICA !!!

Post by galvanic1882 »

Hi OLDSMOKE, There are a few knife collectors that think Utica only made cheap knives. Matter of fact most do. That is not the case at all. They made some of the best looking and working knives ever by an American company, so much so that they made knives for many other knife companies and hardware suppliers. In the 1980's a group of men from the south bought what was called the Utica Factory collection of knives that were on display in what was at one time the Presidents office of the company. Those knives were some of the finest knives ever made with some fantastic handles of exotic pearls, horn, bone stag and celluloid. The beauty and workmanship of those knives, many of which were made before 1937, cannot be appreciated till you hold one in your hand an open and close the blades. I know this because I have about 12 from that coillection and they are just fantastic.

I have attached some pictures of them.

The knife you have is what I like to call an old warrior so treat it kindly it comes from good stock.
Attachments
utica's.jpg
utica's4.jpg
utica's3.jpg
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Great stuff!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Those are some real beauties Mr. Galvanic sir! ::drool:: ::drool::

Utica lives on today as KutMaster...sort of ironic I guess... ::undecided::

http://www.kutmaster.com/index.php

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks El Lobo
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

That is a wonderful collection of old Uticas, galvanic! You are a lucky man!!
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
OLDSMOKE

Post by OLDSMOKE »

I must agree with the others, I dont suppose you would like to turn lose of the bottom one in the top picture, that is just what cranks my handle up.!!!
Thank You for shareing with us.
Rusty
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, DON'T HUNT WHAT YOU CAN'T KILL.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

1882, any idea about what year this was made?
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (33.21 KiB) Viewed 11045 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (36.7 KiB) Viewed 11045 times
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

First let me say that is one sweet looking knife, love the etch!!!!

It has always been thought that the Utica curved stamp was used before 1937. Knife World will be doing an article soon telling more about the stamps and trying to date them better. I would google the name that is etched to see when they were in business which might narrow it down some.

Wish I could be of more help, Mike
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

A likely candidate would be A. H. Harris and Sons, distributors of various building supplies, founded in 1916 in New Britain, CT. Now, they have centers all over the NorthEast.
At one time, they used "HAR - MAC" as a logo.

I see those objects at the ends of the blade etch as stylized evergreen trees, a source for building supplies.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I found out from the original owner of this knife that it came from a hardware chain called HARPER & MACINTIRE with a warehouse in OTTUMWA IOWA.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hmmm. May have belonged to Radar O'Riley
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

There is a very good article on Utica by Mark Zalesky in the September 2010 issue of Knife World.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

I read the article in Knife World Friday night, great read. Saturday I went out on my weekly search/sell/trade/buy adventure. First stop was a bust.Second stop I found a 3 15/16 Kutmaster stockman. Traded for it, then went home. Unusual (to me) the handles have hammered pins and the center pin is spun. Greenish brown bone handles. My pictures are not the best, but here they are. I have a question. Is this rogers bone?
Attachments
HPIM0627.JPG
HPIM0627.JPG
HPIM0631.JPG
HPIM0633.JPG
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

edgy46 wrote:Is this rogers bone?
It was sold by the Rogers company, what exactly they called it is unknown to me.
AAPK Janitor
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The company that made Rogers Bone was Rogers Mfg. Co. of Rockfall, CT. They made bone fertilizer and other bone items as early as 1891. They started making bone knife handles about 1900. About WWI, they traded their fertilizer operation to Rogers & Hibbard for Rogers & Hibbard’s bone products business, including their bone handle making business. From then on Rogers Mfg. Co. was the biggest manufacturer of bone products in the USA, They also made toothbrush handles, combs, baby pacifiers, and bits for corncob pipes.

The Rogers Mfg. Co. name for what we today call “Rogers Bone” was believe it or not “Rogers Stag.” They made small quantities of other jigging styles as well.

Rogers Mfg. Co. stopped selling bone knife handles in 1962. As you might imagine the plastics industry had pretty much eliminated the need for many of their bone products. When was the last time you went to the store and bought a new toothbrush with a bone handle, or a bone comb or baby pacifier?

*Info gleaned from an article by Bernard Levine. Knife World, November 1987.

Below are some examples of what I have heard called Rogers Bone.
You will note considerable difference in depth of jigging, which makes some patterns appear to be different from others. Keep in mind that these are all 50+ years old, some closer to 75+ years old. A lot of pocket wear can take place in that length of time. I believe this accounts for the different appearance of the bone.

Dale
Attachments
Camillus Easy Open Jack.jpg
Camillus Easy Open Jack pile.jpg
Camillus Jack OKCA mini a.jpg
Imperial a.jpg
Kutmaster a.jpg
Pal Cut jack a.jpg
Pal Cut jack b.jpg
Wards a.jpg
Wards b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Thanks for the replies to my question. Sometimes I think I've got Rogers bone sorted out, then sometimes it I feel it is a very broad category ::dang::
Bill
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Nice collection of Rodger bone, Dale. And a beauty of a Utica, JKB!!

Here is a scout knife, branded KeenKutter that likely was made by Utica. Does anyone know for sure??
Attachments
KKscout 1.jpg
KKscout 6.jpg
KKscout 3.jpg

1949 - 2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I don't know anything about that except that it is DEAD SEXY!!!! ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

CC,

Check out these two, both KK knives.

Can you tell the different between the two..........real easy!

I will tell you what you cannot see.

KK on left hand side of picture:
Is just like your knife has the same markings and pattern number on the back of the blade.
It has a thick steel center spacer/liner with brass outer liners.
The shield has two pins.

Scout knife on right hand side of picture below:
No pattern number and has a thick brass center spacer/liner and brass outers.
One pin in the shield.

Both can opener blades are unmarked and both punch blades are identical.
Attachments
2.JPG
3.JPG
3.JPG (46.81 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
AAPK Janitor
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Dimitri, the spring pin is brass on the right (brass liner) knife. The jigging looks different, but I can't see it well enough to tell why. Are the shields marked or plain??

1949 - 2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

orvet wrote:The company that made Rogers Bone was Rogers Mfg. Co. of Rockfall, CT. They made bone fertilizer and other bone items as early as 1891. They started making bone knife handles about 1900. About WWI, they traded their fertilizer operation to Rogers & Hibbard for Rogers & Hibbard’s bone products business, including their bone handle making business. From then on Rogers Mfg. Co. was the biggest manufacturer of bone products in the USA, They also made toothbrush handles, combs, baby pacifiers, and bits for corncob pipes.

The Rogers Mfg. Co. name for what we today call “Rogers Bone” was believe it or not “Rogers Stag.” They made small quantities of other jigging styles as well.

Rogers Mfg. Co. stopped selling bone knife handles in 1962. As you might imagine the plastics industry had pretty much eliminated the need for many of their bone products. When was the last time you went to the store and bought a new toothbrush with a bone handle, or a bone comb or baby pacifier?

*Info gleaned from an article by Bernard Levine. Knife World, November 1987.

Below are some examples of what I have heard called Rogers Bone.
You will note considerable difference in depth of jigging, which makes some patterns appear to be different from others. Keep in mind that these are all 50+ years old, some closer to 75+ years old. A lot of pocket wear can take place in that length of time. I believe this accounts for the different appearance of the bone.

Dale
Wow! Dale, those are some fine examples of jigged bone handles. No wonder they called it "Rogers Stag". That's just gorgeous. It's a dirty shame those jigging machines are not still in use today.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

upnorth wrote:The jigging looks different, but I can't see it well enough to tell why. Are the shields marked or plain??
Yes, different jigging pattern.

Both shields are plain, no embossing.

I have had lots of these and have yet to see the shields embossed ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Hit the jackpot Saturday Kutmaster four blade stockman. Bone handles,nickel silver milled liners. It must have been milled after the liners and bolsters were assembled as the bolsters show some milling. Love nickel silver liners, they just set off a knife and I never can part with them. Unless someone has way way too much money. After taking pictures I was inspecting (fondling) my new treasure I noticed a v at the bottom of the tang stamp, does anyone have any info on this mark. edit for more info the v that i mentioned above is on the reverse of the other three blades?
Attachments
HPIM0646.JPG
HPIM0647.JPG
HPIM0649.JPG
HPIM0662.JPG
HPIM0665.JPG
Bill
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Edgy,
I agree with ya, and really like knives with n/s liners. I also think the milled liners are great and add alot to a knife. You've got both there!! ::tu::
Mark
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

It's been a while since I posted some new (old) Knives. I have been on a Utica streak of late. Here are 4 of my latest, these old Utica's are hard to find!
Top 2 Jacks have the Arched Stamp with Serifs, the Toothpick is also Arched sans serif and the Jack on the bottom has the Strait Line Stamp and is all steel only brass pins.
I love the old bone on these.
Attachments
Utica.jpg
Paul M

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”