Boker Tree Brand Knife- need info about an antique knife

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
RebeccaMeyer

Boker Tree Brand Knife- need info about an antique knife

Post by RebeccaMeyer »

My grandfather passed away two years ago and in a chest of drawers I found a Boker Tree Brand pocket knife. I researched the logo on the Boker website and it appears to date back to the late 1800's/early 1900's based on the tree design on the knife. Two pictures of the knife are attached. Could anyone give me info on the knife's value?

Thanks so much for any input!

Rebecca
Attachments
Boker_Knife.jpg
Boker_Knife2.jpg
rangerbluedog

Re: Boker Tree Brand Knife- need info about an antique knife

Post by rangerbluedog »

Hi, welcome to AAPK ::welcome::
The information you found most likely refers to the tree stamped on the blades of most Boker knives. It may not be applicable to the tree stamp you see on the bolster of this knife.
I have a few of these. The long bolster identifies the knife as a "barlow" style jack knife. Boker knives are difficult to date, and the barlows are even more difficult than most. It's difficult to tell from the photos, but yours does appear to be an early knife.
A better way to tell if this knife is old is to check the handle material. If it is really old, the handle wil be bone. If the knife was made after 1965 or so, the handle will be made of delrin, a plastic material. If you look really close at the handle material with a magnifying glass, you will see little imperfections and natural pits in the bone handles. The delrin will appear smooth.
Another thing you might try is the "hot pin test". Heat up the tip of a needle or pin with a match until it turns red. Try to poke the pin into the handle. Do this in an inconspicuous spot. If the handle is bone, the pin will not penetrate. If delrin, the hot pin will make a small hole in the handle.
Now, as to value. I am sure you will value it because it belonged to your Grandfather. This knife sells on ebay - whether bone or delrin handle - in the $15 to $25 range. These knives aren't selling for a lot now, nor did they when first made. The Barlow style was created to be a low cost, reliable knife.
Take a close look at the blade. There is probably a tang stamp that reads "493". That is the knife pattern number. BTW, this knife was made in the USA.
I hope this helps.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here's a link to a topic on these knives. You'll see one like yours in the first post, then a couple of recent ones in the second post.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 60&t=16785
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
RebeccaMeyer

Post by RebeccaMeyer »

Thank you so much for the info! It does have a 493 stamp on the blade. I will try the hot needle test. Thanks again!

RM

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”