Challenge Cutlery knife Question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
beany

Challenge Cutlery knife Question

Post by beany »

I have a 4-blade pocket knife that belonged to my Grandfather. The only markings I can find say, "Challenge Cutlery Co.__ Conn.". From my computer searches, I've only seen 2-blade pocket knives from this company. Does anyone have any information regarding this knife......where I can read more about it, it's value, etc. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
edgy46

Re: Challenge Cutlery knife Question

Post by edgy46 »

Beany ::welcome:: to AAPK the friendliest knife site on the net. I am not an expert on Challenge cutlery I think they made a full line of knives. Someone will be along with more info. Again ::welcome:: stay a while.
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
beany

Post by beany »

Thanks Bill for the welcome.....I will continue to check back for answers to my knife question. I'm off work at this time recovering from surgery...so I have plenty of time to "wait". Beany
Pen & Toothpick

Post by Pen & Toothpick »

Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings is always a good start:

They have Challenge Cutlery Co. of Bridgeport, CT at circa 1905-1928.

(they also made knives in Sheffield, England & New York from 1876 - 1914)

Goin's does not mention paticular knives, although it does apear they made razors too.

There is a catalog picture shown of a Sportsman's Knife from 1890 made in Sheffield. A Vintage Sportsman's knife has multiple blades and tools, a picture of your knife would help.
beany

Post by beany »

Thanks for the great information. When I return to my regular computer at work, I will download a picture of the knife.
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

::welcome:: Beany,

Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to AAPK.

Dean
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
ole_muddy

Post by ole_muddy »

Challenge made a full line of knives including 4-bladers in patterns: scout, senator, cattle, stockman and congress knives that I can think of at first blush, plus the Orange Blossom Whittler pattern. I have even seen a 6-blade Challenge Congress.
According to Phil Pankiewicz in 'New England Cutlery' c. 1986, the "Challenge" trademark originally belonged to the B. J. Eyre company of Sheffield, England. The Frederick Weibusch Company of New York City purchased the Eyre company and along with it the trademarked Challenge name. Frederick Weibusch died in 1893 and the Weibusch and Hilger Company, also of NYC was formed. They set up a factory in Bridgeport, CT to make and sell razors. This factory was probably originally owned and operated by the Hatch Cutlery Co.
The exact date that Challenge began to make pocket knives is not stated in Mr. Pankiewicz's work. Various city business directories of Bridgeport show three different addresses for Challenge Cutlery Corp between 1898 and 1907 with an address at 46 Seymour Street being the last. So, I would think that their pocketknife production began around the turn of the century, give or take a year or two.
Hope this helps some, Eric
Attachments
Challenge.jpg
beany

Post by beany »

What a wealth of information regarding the Challenge Cutlery Co. and my knife. Thanks so much Eric. Again I will try to post a picture of my knife as soon as possible.
elbertson

Post by elbertson »

What is the pattern,length,handle material,liner & bolster material? I have limited info on Challenge Cutlery but might be able to narrow it down to one of four models for you,that is if it's a congress or equal end.
The beatings will continue until morale has improved...
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Welcome Beany and elbertson also:
Beany I have no idea as to current values but here are some multi blades from a 1925 catalog. Might offer you an idea of types for a new collection. There was also a four blade scout utility knife. You can click on these photos and they will enlarge.
moss
Attachments
A Challenge001.jpg
A Challenge002.jpg
A Challenge003.jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
badboycase101

Post by badboycase101 »

HEAR IS A LITTTE 2 BLADE PIN KNIFE FROM CHALLENAGE.
beany

Post by beany »

Hey Moss & Elbertson, Thanks so for all the questions and information. I will be back at my office on Monday and will download a picture of the knife along with the sizes, etc. You have all been a great help in tracing the history of this knife. beany
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

The Challenge tang stamp is one of my vintage favorites.
The big "C" and big "E" in an arch is just awsome. ::tu::

Paul
beany

Post by beany »

Hey Paul, after reading your comment on the Big C / Big E for the Challenge logo, I rechecked my knife and found that the word Challenge is in all capital letters and is in a straight line, not arched. I'm assuming that the arched logo is older than the straight line logo????
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

I dont know much about challenge but i recently traded off a challenge scout or utility pattern so i do know they made more than just 2 blades. hope that info may help a little bit. wishing you a speedy recovery and welcome aboard
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Beany, I don't know the answer to your question about age of tang stamps for Challenge.
I only have two, a budding and a two blade easy open, and both have the arch stamp.
Went to Goins but no info on dateing stamps.
Maybe someone will share some insight on this question.

Paul
beany

Post by beany »

Thanks for trying Paul. Hopefully sometime tomorrow I will be able to download a picture or two of my knife. Maybe that will help with some further information. Thanks again. Beany
beany

Post by beany »

P1010796.JPG
Finally a picture of my knife in question...the info I have is as follows:
3 3/4" Challenge Cutlery Co. pocket knife
Stag Handle, Brass lining, I believe a nickel silver bolster, 2 knife blades, a screwdriver tool, and an awl (leather punch)
Tip broken off the leather punch

Thanks for any further info, as to age and value.
curmudgn

Post by curmudgn »

Hi y'all,
Just a little supplemental info on Challenge Cutlery.
Apparently they not only made knives & razors, but some non-edged stuff as well.
At a yard sale this morning I found what I'm calling a "speed square" for lack of a better term. See the pix.
The circular maker's mark reads around the outside "CHALLENGE CUTLERY CORP. BRIDGEPORT, CONN." and the inside reads "PATENTED 1904". Simple but rugged construction, the longest leg is 10" long and graduated in 1/8 inch increments.
I guess it just shows the competitive natury of the cutlery business. You do whatever you have to do to bring in revenue.
Has anyone else seen non-cutlery Challenge products??
Attachments
Challenge Square.JPG
Challenge Square (1).JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Oh, now I'm on a mission. I've got to get into my old tools. I may have something like that. What a smart tool that is.
Thanks, curmudgn.

Oh, by the way. WELCOME!! ..... What kind of knives are you packin?
Joe
curmudgn

Post by curmudgn »

FRJ wrote:Oh, now I'm on a mission. I've got to get into my old tools. I may have something like that. What a smart tool that is.
Thanks, curmudgn.
Oh, by the way. WELCOME!! ..... What kind of knives are you packin?
Hey FRJ,
I didn't expect such a speedy response to my post! Do let us know if you come up with anything amongst your old tools.
I'm not a real collector. I'm a hard core yard-saler and I buy anything interesting and cheap in the way of old knives, tools, etc. (the square was 50¢). Old, good quality pocket & sheath knives, even elderly high-end kitchen cutlery. I admire the stuff for a while and then re-sell it, after learning whatever I can about it. Looks like this whole website is going to assist greatly in my education, and I think I'll be back here often.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”