S.C.C.+ 898UH

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
nifenut

S.C.C.+ 898UH

Post by nifenut »

My brother came across what appears to be a Schrade Uncle Henry tang stamped "S.C.C.+" over "USA 898UH". No other stamps on other blades.

Looks like the 897UH (3-blade premium stockman)except a smidge shorter in overall length. Imitation stag handles & Uncle Henry shield, Turkish or California clip master balde, sheepsfoot and spey, like the 897UH. I assume it has been carried, but does not appear to be sharpened.

Can anyone tell me more about this knife? Any idea of the value? I will try to get pics up in an hour or two.

Thanks for any help.
Jim
sextonknifeworks

Re: S.C.C.+ 898UH

Post by sextonknifeworks »

I have had 2 knives with the same tang stamp but the have been Scrimshaw folding hunters.
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

Thanks.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Schrade made two of those knives, one almost like the 897UH, and the other almost like the 885UH (the 886UH). They were made for the South American market, I believe, and are a little rare, but not crazy rare.
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

Thanks. My brother doesn't collect and want to see what it would fetch. Any suggestions as to what it might be worth?
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

nifenut,

Here is a photo of the S.C.C.+ 886UH & 898UH.

It is my understanding that Schrade used the SCC stamp for SFO (Special Factory Order) knives.

I also believe both of these models were produced under contract by Camillus.

As far a value, I've seen them go from $20.00 - $60.00 on eBay.

Keith
Attachments
SCC 886 & 898.jpg
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

Thanks Keith.
The one I have looks like the one at bottom right. Very clean. I don't think it has ever been sharpened. Has some signs of pocket carry. I will let my brother know the value range. Appreciate it!
Jim
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don’t know the answers to all the pieces of the puzzle surrounding the Uncle Henry knives with the SCC+ tang stamping, but I can shed some light on some things.

I know that some of Schrade knives with the SCC+ tang stamp were made in the Camillus factory, but I do know that all of them were.

In a conversation with Tom Williams a couple years ago, Tom told me that Camillus made the Electricians knives for Schrade that were stamped SCC 204. I think those also had the + in the stamp. I have one somewhere but don’t have time to look for it just now; I think the stamping on it is SCC+ 204.
Tom told me that Camillus made most if not all of Schrade's Electrician knives.
Camillus also made the electricians knives for most of the US Knife companies including Imperial, M. Kline & Sons, Case and many others.

I also have an Uncle Henry stamped SCC+ 886
I know that Camillus made other Uncle Henry knives for Schrade and used the SCC+ stamp on them.
SCC+ 898 single.jpg
Here you see a S-card from Camillus, courtesy of Tom Williams. The S-card is sort of the factory guide to building the knife. These were used in the factory itself in the process of building the knife. This card is for the 898UH.
If you look just above the lower right hand corner of the S-card you will see the line that says "STAMPED." This tells you that these knives were to be stamped SCC+/ USA 898UH.

Perhaps The knife Keith shows above was from this batch in 1979.

According to Tom, Camillus often made knives for Schrade when Schrade was busy and running close to capacity. Albert Baer would then have Camillus make the Schrade knives.
From a Mr. Baer's point of view, it only made sense. Why pay overtime at one factory when you had another factory that had plenty of production capacity that was not being used.

If you have a knife that has the SCC+ tang stamp, you can confirm that Camillus made it if you can see the pivot pin in the bolsters. Schrade used the Swinden Key system on their multi-blade knives and on their single blade linerlock knives that were made in their own factory. Since they were the only company who ever used the Swinden Key system, it is pretty easy to tell if they had Camillus make the knife for them. If a multi-blade Schrade knife is made with pin-through-bolster construction (and it has not been re-worked), then it is most likely made by Camillus, or in rare instances perhaps, another company. At least you can be reasonably certain, (as certain as you can be with Schrade), that the knife was not made in the Schrade factory.

There are more chapters to be written about the mysterious Schrade knives with the SCC+ tang stamps.
Perhaps this will help to answer a few questions, but it is likely that it will raise as many new questions as it answers.

For every question answered or mystery solved about Schrade, it seems two more will pop up!
Welcome to Schrade collecting. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

Dale,
I knew about the Swindle pins on Schrades (didn't know that is what they were called.
I took an old one apart long ago).

Strange, but I noticed a few days ago that this knife has the pin through one bolster. When I saw that, I remembered that Schrade used the slot and pin with a head on it.

It would be logical that both bolsters have the same type of pins, not one Swindle and one through the bolster pin.

I told my brother I would trade him another knife for this Schrade. He doesn't collect. I don't collect Schrade although I have a few for old times sake. I like the Premium Stockman 987UH and a few others.

Sounds like you collect them. If you want it, I will trade it for something of similar value. I could send it to you and let you determine it's value in a trade. Just let me know in a PM.

Thanks for the history!
Jim
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Duh!
Here we have one of the many mysteries of Schrade right in front of our faces and I didn’t even notice it.
When was the 886UH made? How about the 898UH? Go ahead and look them up!
Try my list in the research section. Try Robert Clemente’s book, “A Catalog History of Schrade Knives,” or look it up on Larry’s website: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/new-uh/index.htm

It is too late (2:45 AM) and I missed the fact that both knives do not appear in the catalogs.

The 886UH and 898UH are both stockman patterns.
Keith, please measure both of yours and post the sizes. I will see if I can determine which frame they were built on.
I will have to do more research and see what I can find out about these models.

Does anyone have an idea when these knives were made and why they don’t appear in any of the catalogs? Perhaps they were made for the European market?
Larry, Eric, or anyone else have any ideas?

To be continued………..

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”