U.S. Classic Barlow

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bladeaholic

U.S. Classic Barlow

Post by Bladeaholic »

What can you guys tell me about this knife. Who is U.S. Classic, Salt River Ky. I ran across a beautiful geniune bone handled Barlow the other day and the quality looks excellent. Price was rather cheap, so it may be China, but I was still impressed with this well made pocketknife. ::shrug:: Any Thoughts.
olderdogs1

Re: U.S. Classic Barlow

Post by olderdogs1 »

I believe the box will say "Designed in Salt Lick, Ky." They are made in China. The last ones I saw were being sold by Sterling Buster of Fight'n Rooster fame. They are pretty nice knives for the money. I am not downing them but they are China made knives.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Excuse me, "salt river, Ky."
Bladeaholic

Post by Bladeaholic »

Thanks Olderdogs1, I agree with you, I'm no Chinaman, but this knife is quality made. I'll trade it on.
Camillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Camillus »

I have a few of the U.S. Classic knives and find them to be very well made, if not for the China steel they would be equal to many others, still a nice knife.
I have extras for sale or trade if interested.
Have a Knife Day!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The U.S. Classics are supposed to be patterned after classic old American disigned knives. They are made in China. They are not made in Kentucky.

I've lived in Kentucky all my life and have never heard of Salt River, Ky. until these knives hit the market. My map hasn't heard of it either. Niether has my computer's mapping program.
There is a Salt Lick, Ky. and there is a river in Ky. called the Salt River, but unless they are operating off a boat deck, they aren't being straightforward about their location. I can't help but think it is meant to mislead buyers into thinking they are buying an American made knife rather than the China made knife that it is. I think the choice of brand name reflects the same intent.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
moonshiner

Post by moonshiner »

born and bred in kentucky,been here all of my 44yrs,I live about a mile from salt lick,Ky and as philco said there is a salt river in Ky but not a town,their website says shepardsville,ky.and lifetime warranty??? they are china made,the ones I have seen look good ,probably one of the better ones out there,but you can tell the look of the steel it is chinese,definatly meant to mislead the buyer
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

moonshiner wrote:born and bred in kentucky,been here all of my 44yrs,I live about a mile from salt lick,Ky and as philco said there is a salt river in Ky but not a town,their website says shepardsville,ky.and lifetime warranty??? they are china made,the ones I have seen look good ,probably one of the better ones out there,but you can tell the look of the steel it is chinese,definatly meant to mislead the buyer
Found Salt River, KY using Microsoft Streets and Trips (and Google). It's the southern part of Shepherdsville, KY. Less than a dozen streets, it's one of those little dot towns where two towns have grown together and all that's left of it is a name on a map. It's 13 miles south of the Louisville airport.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
moonshiner

Post by moonshiner »

Yep,there it is !!!
9ball

Post by 9ball »

Thought I would throw this out there;

The gent who owned the collection that these knives were modeled from, had them ripped off Winter time somewhere in Kentucky of last year IIRC.

9ball ::paranoid::
My Oath as an American Army Soldier did not come with an expiration date.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::dang::

Who'd a thunk it?

I found Salt River Road but not the town in my search.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not to beat a dead horse and I do realize I have entirely too much time on my hands but small things amuse small minds.

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
razor1

Post by razor1 »

I have been selling the U.S. Classics for about 3 months know. For China made knives they are not bad on par with Rough Riders, Marbles,etc. However like Phil said they are packaged to fool the consumer into thinking that the are buying a US made knife and that is a shady practice to say the least ::disgust:: Also only about half of the ones that I have sold actually say China on them and it is not stamped in the tang it is wrote in very small letters on one of the secondary blades. ::td::
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammo! I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Jerry-
I see Salt River.........is it a pothole in Salt River Road?
Here in Oregon we fill our potholes, not name them! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(sorry I just HAD to do that) :mrgreen:

Just a reminder in this thread:
Any AAPK member can sell, trade or offer for sale any knife/knives they want, but please do so in the Knife Commerce Forums. The Knife Trading, Advertisements and Want Ads forums are there for your use.

Please don't offer knives for sale in this forum.

Thank you,
Dale Vincent
AAPK Administrator

Return to “General Knife Discussion”