American Cutlery Co. Memphis TN

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Owd Wullie

American Cutlery Co. Memphis TN

Post by Owd Wullie »

Who are they?

Are their knives made here or just sold here?

Can't get any info out of google that tells me anything.

Thanks,
Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: American Cutlery Co. Memphis TN

Post by Paladin »

The ones I have seen were made in China. :evil:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Hey Wullie,
Blades Guide to Knives and Their Values list "American Cutlery Co." as being a pocketknife maker pre-1900 based in Chicago and operating 1879c1923. I don't think that is the same concern you are asking about. Most likely someone has taken over the rights to that name, but I have no clue whom it might be. Where have you encountered their knives?

I hate to see those old brands recycled. Most of the time the new version is far from the original in quality. I especially hate to see former American brands like Schrade being made overseas and marketed in a way to decieve the customer who does not know any better.
Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Saw one on ebay. Typical spiel about quality etc etc but no real details..
Picture on the box says MADE IN USA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0333264239

The link to their site, http://www.americancutlery.com/ doesn't go anywhere other than a start up page for an unfinished web site.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

I hate to sully my reputation by letting anyone know that I actually have a knife made in China, but I do have a few. At shows, I put these out on my table as a cheap alternative and I make no attampt to hide their origins or the fact that they will never be collectible. Actually, they are decent users and priced right.
Here is a poor quality photo that I just took at my desk but I believe it will get the point across. On the pile or back side of the master blade is MADE IN CHINA. It is put on the blade in such a fashion as to be easily removed.

Ray
Attachments
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg (70.9 KiB) Viewed 7320 times
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Ricky-D

Post by Ricky-D »

Picture on the box says MADE IN USA
Probably means the box was made in the USA!
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Pretty much answers my question.

I did buy a KISSING CRANE ( Chinese made ) of ebay trapper for 13.00 delivered. I was impressed by the fit and finish of that knife. It has SS blades and was hair poppin sharp right out of the box. A friend of mine liked it and traded me a Schrade 7-OT lockback for it. He's tickled to death with it so far.

I'm not a fan of SS blades so it didn't matter to me. I just wanted to see for myself what was coming out from over there. Somebody is making them dot every I and cross every T when making those things. Be a good choice for an every day beater that you didn't care about screwing up.
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Hey Ray, please don't apologize for the poor photo's, they are beautifully fitting for that particular knife! 8) Smoke
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Thanks Smoke!
I guess my whole problem with the China thing is the deception of it. If a knife is made in China or Pakistan or wherever just say so! Just as in the case of Japanese knives, the Chinese will likely come to make some quality cutlery. Their knives have already improved.
I just think we, as sellers, need to present them as they are, MADE IN CHINA. With that said up front, we, as buyers, can make a decision based on information at hand. With deceptive information we may be lead to buy based on a dishonest premise.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Paladin wrote:Thanks Smoke!
I guess my whole problem with the China thing is the deception of it. If a knife is made in China or Pakistan or wherever just say so! Just as in the case of Japanese knives, the Chinese will likely come to make some quality cutlery. Their knives have already improved.
I just think we, as sellers, need to present them as they are, MADE IN CHINA. With that said up front, we, as buyers, can make a decision based on information at hand. With deceptive information we may be lead to buy based on a dishonest premise.

Ray
Well said, I agree 100%.
LBJ

Post by LBJ »

Hi
I am a newbie
And was trying to find something about a leather knife roll up with 24 pocket knives
It has American Cutlery on the outside of the roll up as well as on each knife plus they say made in Pakistan
It has 2 " Barlow" knives, but as much as. Have studied these, I'm sure they aren't authentic.
My question
Could someone give me an honest opinion on what the value is
American Cutlery Handmade made in Pakistan
American Cutlery Handmade made in Pakistan
image.jpg
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2061.JPG
Any help would be appreciated
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. In my opinion the knives have very little to no collector value, nor are they likely to appreciate in value over time. Without actually seeing them in hand, I will speculate that they may be usable every day carry knives. I'll guess value at maybe $10 to $15 each, tops, based on what I have seen similar knives made in Pakistan or China selling for at trade days and flea markets. Full disclosure - I haven't spent much time looking for or at such knives, so my experience with same is limited.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

::welcome:: ::welcome:: as Ken said thats high end prices, you'll see them around here at flea.mkts for $5 to $ 10. ::nod::
LBJ

Post by LBJ »

Thanks
I appreciate your reply
I was really wanting to see what I could sell " all 24 knives" -and the leather case for
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I will buy the leather knife storage roll, empty, no knives. That said i am not convinced it is leather. Most of these are imitation leather but still store knives just as well as a leather knife roll.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”