My First Spyderco

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
whitebuffalo58

My First Spyderco

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I don't know much about tacticals (or Spyderco's for that matter), but I think I may have gotten lucky on this one! Spyderco Wegner C-49 Jr. with ATS-34 blade. I'm told it's fairly rare and collectible. ::uc::
Anyone know for sure? It's not mint, but it was a fairly inexpensive pawn shop find. Past Ebay auctions show them going for alot more then this one cost.
Spyderco Wegner ATS-34 MS.jpg
Spyderco Wegner ATS-34 PS.jpg
Thanks,

WB
Toejammer

Re: My First Spyderco

Post by Toejammer »

Don't know the value, but I likey !! ::tu:: ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Thanks jammer! Like any knife, value is what it is. I wondered more about, in the world of Spyderco knives, is this one a bit more collectible then some others? ::shrug::
Also, anyone know the info for getting a replacement pocket clip?

WB
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

WB -- Give 'em a call. See what they have to say.
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, CO 80401
p: 800/525-7770

I've never been too hot to trot over Spyderco's but some time ago, I handled one at my local knife guys store and that round hole seems like it would be a lot easier to get accustomed to and use than a thumb stud. Still can't bring myself to put out the price they bring.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Thanks Jerry, i'll give 'em a call. ::tu::
I think the easiest way to flip one of these open, is to grip the hole between your thumb and index finger and "throw" the handle. As smooth as they are, it takes very little force.

WB
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

You got a nice snag there, they were made from 1997-1998 IIRC, and are nice users. I got a large a while back off ebay. ::tu::

Here is a good thread on them with mine posted further down, same screen name.
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... Tim-Wegner

Spyderco Factory Outlet is the contact you want, they should be able to hook you up with a three screw clip.

Spyderco Factory Outlet Store
820 Spyderco Way
Golden CO 80403
800/828-1925 x 4
http://www.spyderco.com/contact/
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Here's the only Spydie that I have. A CO4 Executive, early model, number four of the first four models put out and made in Seki, Japan
100_0447.JPG
100_0449.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Thanks Simple Man! I sent 'em a contact message and we'll see what happens. Hopefully they'll be able to furnish a replacement clip. The thread link was very helpful too, it pretty much answered what questions I had. I appreciate the help! ::handshake::
TJ, nice little knife! If I decide to keep this one, it'll likely be the only one I ever own too. I know this is fairly early for a Spyderco, but I still prefer knives that are just a bit older. :wink:

WB
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Glad to help. I have been "accumulating" them for some time now and have learned a bit along the way. :mrgreen:

Even though I like crispy new Spydercos, I still prefer the lightly to well used ones also. They are as fun to clean up and bring back to life as the older "traditional" knives. One thing though, the knife funds go quite a bit further with slipjoints than with the Spyderco and such.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Yes sir, now that i've looked into the Spyderco's a bit, I see what you mean! They have a reputation for being an excellent knife, but in many cases, a price tag to go with it. Still, if I was to ever get into tacticals, they'd be the first ones i'd look at! ::tu::

WB

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”