Robeson 22223

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
mgdelpriore

Robeson 22223

Post by mgdelpriore »

Found this on one of my journeys. Seems to be a wood handle, tang stamped robeson arched with co. under and cutlery straight across under that. The back of the large blade is stamped 22223. small blade is stamped the same as large on front. thanks to the list of stamps above I was pleased to learn that my knife was produced from 1900 to 1916. WOW, that's older than me!!!! Mike.
Attachments
P1000514.JPG
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson 22223

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ebony handles.

Honest old knife, but a bit roughly used.

Think of the pattern number as 222-023, as Robeson's system utilized six digits.

The last three digits were the handle-die shape number.

They often omitted that fourth digit if it was a zero to conserve space or simplify the making of the stamp dies.

So Handle-die shape numbers 001 through 099 often show as 01 through 99, instead, but you will also see them with the full six figure number.

I think the omissions are more common on smaller blades.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
mgdelpriore

Re: Robeson 22223

Post by mgdelpriore »

Charlie, I can agree with that. Thanks for the info. Mike

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”