Ebony On The Bay, Part One

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
RobesonsRme.com

Ebony On The Bay, Part One

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Here are pics of an ebony handled Robeson knife that sold on Ebay in the past couple of weeks.

It's a 4 1/4" sleeveboard whittler that most likely dates pre-1900. This knife was made before Robeson located to Perry, New York. Possibly, it was made by the Sherwood/Bingham cutlers in Camillus or it could be a German import, although it is not so marked.

The tang stamp is ROBESON / CUTLERY Co. And it's marked "PREMIER" on the back of multiple blades

This knife sold on Ebay for about $130.00.

I'm a bit unsure about that secondary sheepfoot blade. I do have one of these from the same time period, but it has two secondary pens. That could be a welded replacement. Not sure.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
RobesonPremierWhittlerA.jpg
RobesonPremierWhittlerB.jpg
RobesonPremierWhittlerC.jpg
RobesonPremierWhittlerD.jpg
RobesonPremierWhittlerE.jpg
RobesonPremierWhittlerF.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
junebug

Re: Ebony On The Bay, Part One

Post by junebug »

very cool knife!!!!!!
Charlie.......by chance do you know what the "PREMIER" stamp is all about???? ::shrug:: ::handshake::

as a "PREMIER CUTLERY CO" collector........has got me intrigued :mrgreen: ::hmm::
no connection i am sure.....but COOL 8) 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Not really. Early, circa 1890 to 1899 Robeson knives have PREMIER or WARRANED stamped on the blades at times.

It has naught to do with the Canadian Premier knives of which you and others are so justifiably fond.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
junebug

Post by junebug »

thanks ,Charlie!!!!! ::handshake::
didn't think so ,on link ....... but didnt know if even possible hehehe....ya neva' know :mrgreen:
"PREMIERS" are USA,GERMANY made,none canadian made ::tu:: (just a office there)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”