A Few Robeson Patterns From The Bay

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: A Few Robeson Patterns From The Bay

Post by bestgear »

Hi Charlie - but only one of those beautiful Robeson Girl Scout knives exist that I'm aware of and it's in your personal collection. I look almost daily for one to "pop-up" on eBay but no luck. That's such a rare and beautiful knife that I feel blessed to have your photograph as a placeholder in my collection. Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

No, there are more around. Dino Bakeris up in Maryland has one, as does my friend Jan in Atlanta and Philco just bought one off Ebay this year.

Keep looking.

One of these days, probably sooner, more so than later, I'm going to have to start selling all this.

I'll give you a call. I could use a nice Hawaiian vacation.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Post by reddirtknives »

Wonderful knives and they were all for sale right there on the bay… So Now, does everyone understand why Robeson is arguably The greatest American cutlery Co. of all time? And if you were to argue against this who would it be in favor of? ::hmm:: I know who most would probably choose because there's not many to choose from but did they ever make a nicer/better knife than some of the knives Mr. Noyes shared with us? I don't know which of those I would choose if I was given my choice. I'm going back to look at the pics again. Thanks for taking the time to share these with us Sir.
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Given my druthers, I'd go for that tear drop jack, it's quite early.
I don't generally like tarnished knives, but that big jack has an etch I've never seen on a pocketknife before, but have seen on a couple of straight razors.
But, the never see before or again knife is that 4" 091 whittler.
Charlie

Oh, call me "Charlie", please. I'm not that old.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Post by reddirtknives »

Yes Sir. Mr. Noyes I mean Chucky err ummm Charlie :) Well, I still can't make up my mind from the ones in this post but then again I don't know what's rare or not because around here they're all rare. I'm not a big fan of shadow's or tip bolsters but that pearl shadow humpback congress ? ::shrug:: ? is one shadow I would love to own I mean WOW spiders and all. It looks so fragile though and hard to believe it's made it this far and remains in that condition. I wouldn't kick that one out of bed if it had a crack on both sides. And the little serpentine stockman with the tip bolsters and beautiful jig bone has changed the way I feel about them. Both of those sort of stand out to me because I normally wouldn't care as much for them as the others.
I thought someone would come up with a contender of sorts but….. psssssttttt All the cool kids are collecting Robeson's ::nod::
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I'm biased, of course, so I don't usually make claims re' Robeson being better than any other American cutlery manufacturer, but I have read in authoritative publications by authoritative experts that only Robeson and New York Knife occupy the topmost position in quality, but not necessarily in that order.
Charlie

BTW; never, ever, call me "Chucky" ::td:: ::facepalm::
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I could use a nice Hawaiian vacation.

Charlie
Ooh, good choice. Wonderful place.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for the encouragement Charlie - I sometimes think the hunt is better thank the kill. Is Dino on AAPK; I too am in Maryland and I'd love to hook up with Dino some day. I know he contributed to Joe Kerr's book 600 Scout Knives so I'd love to see his Scout knife collection.

As far as a Hawaiian vacation, you might not be too far off. The hunt continues.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”