SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: Thanks for the reply Charlie, maybe they were just using up old tang stamps to save money also! they sure didn't waste any time or money making this model, kind of ugly but the steel seems to be ok, takes an edge anyway. Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Oh, the knives are very serviceable and the steel is good.

Dale (OrVet) was bragging on one he bought just recently.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Posted this in the jumbo jack thread but it belongs here too. I couldn't find the pattern number listed in the 15th ed. of Knives, 62257. Picked it up at a gunshow today.
Attachments
Robeson 62257 a.JPG
Robeson 62257 b.JPG
Robeson 62257 c.JPG
steve99f
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I suspect the pattern numbers is 62237.

That's the number for the only Robeson four inch cigar pattern of which I am aware.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I checked the number again and you are correct Charlie, thanks.
steve99f
Hak1911

Post by Hak1911 »

This 'un ::woot::
Attachments
image.jpeg
Looking for a user Schrade CutCo 8813 ......
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Hak1911, that's a nice lookin' one, are the blades in good shape?
A Pocketeze Robeson is on my want list! I like Robeson knives, only have found 2, one is real and the other was made by Camillus. The reason behind the name seems to be very appropriate!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Hak, that's a nice pattern

Could you please share the pattern number?

That is is not a common knife. I don't think I have one.

I did copy some Ebay photos several years ago of a knife marked "F. C. CO.", which stands for Fulton Cutlery Company. Every Fulton I've ever seen was a Robeson knife and most still had a bit of the Robeson tang stamp remaining.

Whether Fulton bought factory seconds, ground off the tangs and restamped them or Robeson did the work themselves, I have no idea.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
FCC0-3.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
A.B.

Post by A.B. »

Hi everyone, I've been visiting this forum for a while now and have learned a lot from your discussions. Thought I'd post a few pics of my newest Robeson. Marked Robeson over ShurEdge (script) over Rochester. I really love the bone scales and the shape of this pattern. It looks like there is a bit of friction between the main blade and the liner. Maybe someone tightened things up a bit with a pair of pliers?
Attachments
20160525_205810.jpg
20160525_205844.jpg
20160525_210001.jpg
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice. ::tu::

So, think about this. It has been reported that Robeson started using pattern numbers about 1903, or just after they relocated to Perry, New York.

The numbers were six digits in length, but on some knives, whose handle-die shape numbers were between 001 and 099, they sometimes dropped that first zero, making the numbers 01 - 99.

When they started assigning those numbers in 1902 or so, the very first pattern they those was a balloon-ended, swell-center penknife like yours and they gave it the number 001.

There has been a pearl handled example on Ebay, off and on, for weeks, but it has a broken blade.

Here is my ebony handled version and its very rare and early tang stamp.

Charlie
Attachments
122001B.jpg
122001B.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
SlantShurEdgeStamp.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I've had this a few months and posted it with "Knife Finds of the Day" but I should have singled it out for this thread too. It's a pretty sweet little split back whittler (Not true split back of course). The pattern number is 6324--. I think the last two numbers are 17 but they are mostly hidden behind the bolster. I paid about $20 for it. ___Dave
Robeson 002.JPG
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

New (to me) Robeson 521179 Barlow found at a small estate sale while I was in Atlanta recently. Paid the whopping sum of $2. Not sure who made it, (Camillus, Boker?), or when, (50's-70's probably). Extremely robust knife, heavy in the hand, tight, snappy, great half stops....all the hallmarks of a well made US knife. It was "farm fresh" when I found it, with some rust/pitting on the tip of the carbon master blade & springs at the butt of the knife, but a little work with some brass wool and a buffing wheel cleaned it up nicely. Had it over a month now and it still finds it's way into my pocket most every day.
As an avid collector of the Camillus-made Buck 300 Series I am a novice about Robeson, so perhaps one of you Robeson experts can tell me which company made it and when? The master blade looks very Camillus-ish to me, but the bolsters look like Boker. Whoever made it did a superb job, that's all I know for sure.
Attachments
5-14-16 026.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

It's a nice knife, but given that the pattern number is on the front of the tang, it's post 1965 and after Robeson went out of business. Probably made by Camillus for Cutler Federal, Inc, who bought the rights to the name "Robeson". They later sold it to Ontario Knife Co, who still owns it as far as I know.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That nice equal-end whittler could be a 499, but I think there were other similar knives with different numbers.

That's very nice.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:It's a nice knife, but given that the pattern number is on the front of the tang, it's post 1965 and after Robeson went out of business. Probably made by Camillus for Cutler Federal, Inc, who bought the rights to the name "Robeson". They later sold it to Ontario Knife Co, who still owns it as far as I know.

Charlie
Thanks Charlie, you confirm my suspicions that it was a Camillus-made knife. I have dozens of Camillus-made Bucks, and the similarities in blade shape & length, grind and just general feel of the knife all screamed Camillus to me. I agree, it IS a nice knife; for two bucks no less.
Thanks for the historical info.
BCCI Member #2863
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great looking knives on this page. ::tu::

Here's another pearl Robeson to add to my pile. Robeson sure made a fine little knife in these pearls.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN1681.JPG
DSCN1682.JPG
DSCN1685.JPG
DSCN1687.JPG
DSCN1691.JPG
DSCN1692.JPG
DSCN1695.JPG
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice. ::tu::

I think some of my pearl knives are my favorites.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Charlie.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a nice Barlow that came in today. Good ol' Robeson, they give you a round bolster.
Any other Barlow makers do that?
Attachments
DSCN2075.JPG
DSCN2076.JPG
DSCN2078.JPG
DSCN2083.JPG
DSCN2084.JPG
DSCN2086.JPG
Joe
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

There are several companies that offer similar bolsters on their Barlows. Two that come to mind are Queen and Kutmaster. That's a nice Robeson.
Rick
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Rick.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That's a nice knife, circa 1948 - 1959.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Charlie. It's nice to have those dates. ::tu::
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's an old cattle knife that just got a makeover
Attachments
1466818495194.jpg
1466818538069.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I just acquired this large Robeson Serpentine Trapper off the big auction site. Got it for what I think was a good price. It is a ROBESON/SHUREDGE/USA (822482) on tang and Pocket Eze on shield. 4.5 inches long. It is in very good condition with some discoloration and minor corrosion and some very small areas of pitting. Has been sharpened but looks to have 95 or so percent of blades rewmaining with good function and WT from both blades. I know this tang stamp was used both pre and post WWII(1940--1964). Anyone know approximately when this Traper was made? Thank you very much! Lloyd
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Lloyd

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”