INFO NEEDED ON ROBESON DISPLAY CABINET

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
cattaraugus57

INFO NEEDED ON ROBESON DISPLAY CABINET

Post by cattaraugus57 »

ok, I Awile back I posted some pics of a Robeson cabinet I found and now after completing my last display boxes I'm ready to some what restore this Robeson cabinet.
It's obvious Glass went in the front groove(no brainer) then the second groove back held a display board..but..was it natural wood,painted or have a felt or plush material on it?
2. Then What type of clip or tie did Robeson use to fix the knives to the board?
3.If you look at the bottom there are 2 clips that may have just held the front trim/botom of cabinet up,or did they hold this upper box to a larger display cabinet?
any info is appreciated.

thanks guys!
Attachments
robe1.JPG
rob2.JPG
rob4.JPG
rob5.JPG
robe bottom.JPG
rob6.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: INFO NEEDED ON ROBESON DISPLAY CABINET

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

You're missing a strip of wood with a corresponding groove to hold the glass in place. That's what those two rotating stays held in place.

The board most likely had yellow or green felt.

I cannot speak to how the knives were secured to the board, I've never seen one of these still completely intact.

I have a later, circa 1950's or 60's display that has spring steel clips to secure the knives in place, (partial photo below, click to enlarge) but I very much doubt that was the same technique used when your case was built.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
RobDisplay12.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

thank you Charlie! I knew you would have some info to share.. ::tu::
That clip design I wasn't aware of either.
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Charlie, In your opinion Would you say the trim would have been pretty plain or like a crown moulding?
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

It would be shaped in such a way that when in place on the case it "completes" the bottom.
By that, I mean it would have had the same edge moulding, etc. as the bottom board. It would have matched.
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Thank you Charlie,Looks like the pieces were about an inch wide.
now if I could only find some Mahogany..
On your later cabinet..Would you say the clips for holding the Knives are made of spring steel?
I may adopt that stye and make some for this box,not sure yet..

catt57
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

They are definitely spring steel or at least highly tempered. Some of them will ring like a banjo string if plucked. Those are the one's that are only touching the board at the mounted end.
They are not all the same shape or contour. They were each made for a specific type of knife.
Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”