Is this a Kershaw??

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
johnnierotten

Is this a Kershaw??

Post by johnnierotten »

I have had this knife for Months now.....does not have a tang stamp but does look like it has been buffed.
Is it just me or does it look like this Kershaw Trooper??......any thoughts?
Oh..I would like to add..it doesn't feel like a cheap knock off......feels like a quality made knife with great fit and finish. ::shrug::
Also...I have searched the web and can't find one in brass like mine.. :?
Attachments
IMG_1255.JPG
Trooper.jpg
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
gino

Re: Is this a Kershaw??

Post by gino »

Looks pretty close, Great lookin knife even if it aint
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Thanks,Bro. ::tu:: .....I have had the chance to sale it a few times and haven't...I kinda like it..got a nice leather sheath also. 8)
Attachments
IMG_1254.JPG
johnnierotten

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey Johnnie.. That is a way cool blade!! ::nod:: Nice carry for the unforseen events!! ::nod:: John ::tu::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Yes Sir....boot knives are my favorite kinda fixed blades. ::tu::
johnnierotten

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I don't believe it is a Kershaw but in fact a replica.A couple of reasons:

First the Kershaw had a nickle silver guard an pommel.Second and probably more important the fuller on a Kershaw runs almost all the way to the guard.Third;the sheath is not the correct shape and it looks like the hold down is wrong.Fourth;the wood on the original is ebony.Still a nice looking knife.
Here is a not so good pic of mine #3348 made in February 1980.I'll try and get a better picture up to show the details.
Attachments
DrawertopKershawBoot.jpg
DrawertopKershawBoot.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Yeah...I noticed all the differences that you mentioned....thats why I thought maybe it was older or newer than the actual Troopers,but of course I can't find any evidence to say for sure either way. ::shrug:: ..More than likely you are correct....what really ticks me off is that I can plainly see where there was a name or something that has been buffed off. :evil:
Perhaps I'll never know but will probably keep it anyway...cause I love boot knives and the way this particular one feels in the hand is pretty cool. 8)
Thank you,knife7knut for your input and the pic. ::tu::

By the way...does your sheath have Kershaw or anything stamped on it?........mine has nothing. ::dang::
I love your knife...if ever ya want to part with her please give me first dibs. :)
johnnierotten

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for the kind words Johnny.I'm kind of partial to boot knives myself even though they aren't a really practical carry knife.There's something that is just inherently sinister about them;sort of like the aura around Italian stilettos of the 50's.I think I may do a post about boot knives when I get a moment;I have some interesting ones.One of the wildest has a triangular blade with a hand made early Micarta handle that could almost be an OSS style knife.Bought it off e-Bay awhile back.
Anyway the sheath does not have any markings but as you can see it is more pointed and the strap is slightly longer.Here are some pics I took this morning.Don't think I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon but I'll keep you in mind.
Attachments
Trooper01.jpg
Trooper01.jpg (44.52 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Trooper03.jpg
Trooper03.jpg (32.05 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Trooper04.jpg
Trooper04.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Trooper05.jpg
Trooper05.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Trooper06.jpg
Trooper06.jpg (36.7 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Trooper07.jpg
Trooper07.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Trooper08.jpg
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

There's something that is just inherently sinister about them;sort of like the aura around Italian stilettos
Yes...I feel the same way.I have had many over the years but now only a handful.

I think I may do a post about boot knives
Please do...I have several to contribute. ::tu:: ..and would love to see more and hear the stories behind them. 8)

Thanks again for your input a pics. ::tu::
johnnierotten

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

The early Troopers were made by Ichiro Hattori. He usually has some build-outs branded with his own name, as he also did with the Kershaw 1030 and several others. I've had a dozen or so pre 1980 examples and currently have serial number 0045 and 0167 in my showcase. When Hattori branded designs with his own name he usually made some subtle changes, such as brass instead of stainless mounts, etc. My guess is that the knife in question is one of his.

An interesting sidenote is that about the first 2,500 Troopers were made without a fuller. Usually the knives made before January 1980 have no fullers.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Very informative....Thank you. ::tu::
johnnierotten

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Roush428r wrote:The early Troopers were made by Ichiro Hattori. He usually has some build-outs branded with his own name, as he also did with the Kershaw 1030 and several others. I've had a dozen or so pre 1980 examples and currently have serial number 0045 and 0167 in my showcase. When Hattori branded designs with his own name he usually made some subtle changes, such as brass instead of stainless mounts, etc. My guess is that the knife in question is one of his.

An interesting sidenote is that about the first 2,500 Troopers were made without a fuller. Usually the knives made before January 1980 have no fullers.
Thanks for the input on that Roush428r;I've always felt that the Kershaw knives of this era were very under-rated.I have several models and they are top quality pieces.
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

knife7knut wrote:I've always felt that the Kershaw knives of this era were very under-rated.I have several models and they are top quality pieces.
Yep...they're w-a-y under-rated. In fact, the only difference between some of the Kershaw knives and the one's Hattori branded under his own name is a few hundred dollars in price. One of my personal favorites is the Damascus boot knife that Wingen made for them in the mid 1980's.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Roush428r wrote:
knife7knut wrote:I've always felt that the Kershaw knives of this era were very under-rated.I have several models and they are top quality pieces.
Yep...they're w-a-y under-rated. In fact, the only difference between some of the Kershaw knives and the one's Hattori branded under his own name is a few hundred dollars in price. One of my personal favorites is the Damascus boot knife that Wingen made for them in the mid 1980's.
I don't have the damascus one but here is the regular with stag scales.I have a Puma boot knife that looks nearly identical so maybe Wingen made them as well.Also the hunter(I have a folding version as well but for some reason no picture).
Attachments
KershawBootKnife.JPG
KershawBootKnife.JPG (18.83 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
PumaBootKnife.JPG
PumaBootKnife.JPG (17.92 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
KershawHunter.JPG
KershawHunter.JPG (47.17 KiB) Viewed 5382 times
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Beautiful dagger. ::tu:: ...I have one of the drop points. 8)
Attachments
IMG_0763.JPG
johnnierotten

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

johnnierotten wrote:Beautiful dagger. ::tu:: ...I have one of the drop points. 8)

That one was made by Hattori also.
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

knife7knut wrote:
Roush428r wrote:
I don't have the damascus one but here is the regular with stag scales.I have a Puma boot knife that looks nearly identical so maybe Wingen made them as well.Also the hunter(I have a folding version as well but for some reason no picture).
The stag-handled one is called the "Gamekeeper". It looks like your has a serial number. If so, it was made for Snap-On Tools as part of the Premier Set. There were eight knives in this series with three or four being folders. The damascus is by far the hardest to find as few were made. I've had several over the years including and early one that stays in my personal collection. I'll actually be listing one of the damascus knives on eBay soon. I'll post a pic later when I get a chance.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Again,Thanks for the info..you definitely know your Kershaws. ::tu:: ......K7K...I really like that "GameKeeper" .. ::tu::

Heres a few more Kershaws that I own...they're not made in Japan though. 8)
Attachments
IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
johnnierotten

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

johnnierotten wrote:Heres a few more Kershaws that I own...they're not made in Japan though. 8)

These knives were from the American Wildlife Series and were made by custom maker Dan Harrison. Great knives but they were prone to splits in the laminated wood handles. Even Harrison's stag-handled bowie-style knives that he made for Kershaw were prone to handle splits.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Wow....you really do know your Kershaw's!! :shock: ....great info. ::tu::
johnnierotten

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

johnnierotten wrote:Wow....you really do know your Kershaw's!! :shock: ....great info. ::tu::
Thanks...but if I ever reach the point where what I know even comes close to what I don't know, then I'll be getting somewhere.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

:lol: :lol: Yeah...I hear ya. ::tu:: 8)
johnnierotten

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

Took me a while, but here are some pics of the Kershaw damascus boot knife.
Attachments
DSCN1275.JPG
DSCN1290.JPG
DSCN1285.JPG
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Wow!!.....that is a super looking knife.....absolutely beautiful. ::tu::
johnnierotten

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”