Can anyone fill me in in this one?

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
Ribbit

Can anyone fill me in in this one?

Post by Ribbit »

Picked this colonial three blade up today.
I'm still in the process of cleaning it up.
It's tight, solid, etc.
Wood handles.
Hawk blade stamped "high carbon steel" and USA.
Any ideas on age or other information?
I'm really digging this one.
Attachments
image.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can anyone fill me in in this one?

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ribbit I have one with the same blade configuration as yours. Mine is stamped Klien tools and has a plastic handle. Notas nice as that wood handle on yours. This is just a guess but since they are basically a TL-29 type with the hawkbill added I would think Camillus may have made them for other companies as they did for the two blade version. If I'm wrong about that it won't be the first time. If that has a Colonial stamp on it maybe somebody will be able to date it for you.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Camillus knife made for Sears. Goins' book says 1927-1940. I would think this knife dates from the latter part of that era. Nice find!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I have this same knife but with hard plastic handles, says colonial prov RI with pat #'s are we saying that these were made for colonial. It amazes me how much jobbing has gone on and still goes on in the knife industry. ::shrug::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

You're on the money there Bighomer. I bet Camillus made more knives for other companies than for thier brand.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Right and Schrade could be in that conversation too I guess.I just assumed that Colonial made their own knives as well as being jobbers themselves. ::shrug::
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Maybe I've been wrong, but I've always looked at colonial as a low-end product. Not saying it's a bad one, just not exhibiting the craftsmanship of others. With the possible exception of the WWII issues.
But this colonial is a dandy.
Whether or not it was jobbed out, it has colonial stamped on it and I think a very well-built piece.
Changed my mind about a few things for sure.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Ribbit, I've got four of the electrician knives by colonial all are well made and scary sharp ::nod:: . 3 are 2 blade and the 3 blade. there 3 blade and newer stainless steel knife have half stops the other 2 don't. I have several of their anvil brand knives and they are very good knives and so are their old cutler brands I'm told, I don't own any but I'm looking.I have several of their old shell knives that are cheaply made knives. I have a couple nos that seem to be well made but I've never sharpened them so I don't know if the steel will take an edge. ::tu::

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”