large ww2 survival knife

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
chetr1200c

large ww2 survival knife

Post by chetr1200c »

bob, there are a few recent postings on this knife. i have seen a few different ones. the ones with/without bails and ones with the sheepsfoot style saw blade. this pictured one is mine. it seems to be the most common one seen.
i was wondering if you have any imput to the history of this knife? thank you for your assistance,,,,chet
001.JPG
wazu013

Re: large ww2 survival knife

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a link to some info I got for my vest knife.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 44&t=31705
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Absolutely chet...we did discuse this model on another forum months ago but I'll give you the run down. This hunk of iron was one of three more popular models we made for the Government for WWII. This one was the Pilot Survival knife. It came in a button down canvas sheeth stamp U.S.N. The great big locking master blade was made tuff enough to take a car apart piece by piece!! You own this so you know what I'm talking about! The slightly thinner locking saw blade was really meant for downed planes and the survivors could actually cut thier way out of the fussaloge to get out of the plane!! They applied a tuff baked on matt black finish to avoid shine that could be seen by the enemy and the bolster's on this knife were actually hardened steel! Nickle silver was far too soft and the steel was applied to the bolster's with the same matt black finish that was tuff to scuff up!
We also made a UDT Navy fixed blade knife that came in a very hard case on the bottom where the blade sat; this scabbard actually had a sharpening groove inside to keep it sharp! The top part of the sheath was canvas with a button strap.
Our third baby was the famous Marine Corp Fighting, (fixed blade also), and it had a nice long, wide blood groove. Some of these came through with brown leather sheaths but most of them came with a dark brown anti jungle/moister rot proof coating on the entire sheath!
I hope I was helpful to your questions and feel free to ask about ANY Colonial knife, ANY time pal!! Bobby P. CKCo. "Cutler 4 Ever"..
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

thanks bob for your undivided attention. ::tu::
it certainly is one hunk of a knife.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's mine with the sheath. Bonfire is right the blade and bolsters are coated with a tuff matt black finish. This one was still soaked with cosmoline when I got it.
Attachments
Colonial vest knife 002.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Very nice; thank you sir...

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”