Looking for info on traditional looking switchblades

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Tiwas

Looking for info on traditional looking switchblades

Post by Tiwas »

Hi,
I have a couple of questions, which are obviously for a friend as switchblades are illegal where I'm from.

My friend, who's obviously from a country where switchblades are legal, is a collector and is looking for one OTF and one side opening knife for his collection. They should be quality blades in a traditional look and the limit for each one is €100. The purpose is just for display and preservation.

Does anyone have any good ideas about which manufacturers are good? It's imperative that they will be sent from within EU so links to European dealers would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Captain O

Re: Looking for info on traditional looking switchblades

Post by Captain O »

Welcome aboard.

Please define "traditional". Italian? American? German? Korean? Chinese? French? Russian? There are so many variables that it is highly difficult to narrow it down until you can define blade type/style, blade release mechanisms, steel, and other design specifications/parameters.

Please think it over and repost.
Tiwas

Post by Tiwas »

Thanks, I guess I could have been a little more specific, but I wanted to get as much feedback as possible. What I think of as classic are the Italian stiletto family of knives, both for side openers and OTF - like the Beltrame Stiletto with buffalo horn grip (http://www.euro-knife.com/sub/euro-noze ... t.._43.jpg). This is also the same style as for the OTFs I've seen, although their blades have been wider and thus might not be stilettos in the right sense.

So...my friend's been looking at the Italian stiletto side openers, but also the Mikov knives for a little more contemporary work knives, but don't really know where to start for OTF knives. The main point is to get some good looking, good quality knives and then start looking at real antiques when and if he is accepted into the weapons collectors guild. They accept one person from each line of weapons and he's been trying to get accepted as a modern close combat weapons collector - but the guild isn't sold on weapons less than a couple of hundred years old. The argument then is whether or not they should be collected now to preserve good items early or wait until they're a more accepted part of history and only available through items people discover in the attic that need serious repairs and/or restauration. This group of weapons would be the last puzzle in a collection that could open the guild's mind and eyes toward something newer than muskets, and thus should showcase these knives aestetics, beauty and connection to both history and movie history.
hanfischer007

Post by hanfischer007 »

The photo you showed is the style switchblade I have been looking for.......Beltrane.?/...have you an idea what price range for a 5 to 6 inch blade....horn handle....??.....I appreciate you letting me know....also where to look.....Kind Regards.....Hans Fischer

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”