Something fun to look at-Scale Release Automatic

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Something fun to look at-Scale Release Automatic

Post by QTCut5 »

A knife maker friend of mine (David Brunetta: designer, artist, inventor, visionary, and coffee connoiseur) sent me this because I was asking him about my Lone Wolf Diablo Double Action Scale Release Auto. Although I don't believe this concept design addresses my question about the Double Action aspect, i.e., how does it work?, I thought it was cool, so I'm sharing it with you other switchblade afficionados out there. He hasn't actually made one yet because he's saving up for some kind of tool or machine that he says he will need in order to make it...although, quite honestly, I don't know how he's going to be able to fit any more machines in his shop/studio which is already jammed to the rafters with every kind of tool and machine he's needed and purchased over the past 50 years or so!
Enjoy! And feel free to comment and/or critique.

Cheers & Aloha,

~Q~
Attachments
SCALE_RELEASE_AUTO_1A_copy.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Joe Dirt

Re: Something fun to look at-Scale Release Automatic

Post by Joe Dirt »

Sure would like to see it with the handle on it. Kinda hard to get the concept without it.
It's got me scratchin my head about the double action too!

Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The drawing doesn't appear to be a double action knife. The design is exactly like a scale release knife currently made by MCM Cutlery in Maniago, Italy.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This is NOT a Double Action design. This drawing is a basic design for a Single Action scale release automatic; it makes perfect sense to anyone who has ever owned or used a scale release auto. What I can't figure out, or envision in my mind, is how the blade on a Double Action scale release model can be manually opened without releasing the load on the coil spring??? I just can't figure it out, and I'm not about to tear my Lone Wolf Diablo apart to find out how it's done. Although, when I was baffled by the mechanism of an old Double Action OTF automatic that I purchased in Spain in 1984, I finally had to open it up because it was driving me crazy trying to figure out how it could both open and close with the same slide button. How was it able to both release and at the same time store the necessary kinetic energy for both actions? Once I opened it up, though, I was amazed at how "obvious" and yet how genius the design was; and much simpler than I had initially thought. I remember thinking to myself, "this is so simple, why wasn't I able to figure it out?" But that's often the case with the best designs, when we look at them we think, Hey, even I could've thought of that!

I'm still hoping someone can explain or show me a drawing that describes how the manual opening action is possible on a Double Action scale release automatic.

~Q~

~Q~
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I`m no expert on these but the 1 scale release knife I had was a leaf spring fired knife and the sear captured the spring not the blade thus allowing the knife to be opened manually ( because the sear is holding just the spring) or slide the scale to release the sear to fire auto . I can`t see how a coil fired dual action is possible ?
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

I`m no expert on these but the 1 scale release knife I had was a leaf spring fired knife and the sear captured the spring not the blade thus allowing the knife to be opened manually ( because the sear is holding just the spring) or slide the scale to release the sear to fire auto . I can`t see how a coil fired dual action is possible ?
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I think you nailed it, wiseguy (they must call you that for a reason), now it makes perfect sense. And you say you're no expert...ha ha ha...I hate to think what that makes me! :?
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Cheers & Aloha,
~Q~

~Q~

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”