Need a little Help from the community on this knife

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
Kramersknife

Need a little Help from the community on this knife

Post by Kramersknife »

I bought this knife only marked "Rostfre Import" Im assuming its German It had two leaf springs side by side and they were broken.I have made new ones out of 1095 cold rolled steel. I wanted to know if anyone out there has one like it and could Measure the length of the springs. I guesstimated it and need to thin them down more drill, heat treat & temper yet (original ones in photo are super glued to them as drill guides). Overall in great condition except for springs.
Any info on the brand would be helpful too.Must be a scarce one I saw only one on the net and now cant find it again. Very unusual that it had two springs never seen that before.
Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1201 2.JPG
IMG_1203 2.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need a little Help from the community on this knife

Post by Madmarco »

K.K.! I too have seen your knife before, and please don't hold me to this but I believe it's an old Hubertus or Mikov model. I'm leaning toward Mikov because they use 2 leaf-springs in their knives nowadays, and I've not heard of any Hubbies that use 2 springs, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't. I think I saw one at www.arizonacustomknives.com , but when I went to check just now the pages wouldn't respond so I'll try later and if I find it I'll edit this post with an SKU: number. As for getting the correct measurements, your guesstimate looks very close to me, although you may need to install them with out pinning just to see how they fit. Best of luck, it's a great old knife to get working again! 8)
8)
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife is Italian, from the 1970s.
Leave the springs overly long. Go ahead and drill them. Temporarily install them and fit them for length that way.
Once fitted, heat treat them.
Making the knife with 2 springs is easier on the maker's stamping equipment. There is really no functional reason to replace them with double springs. One thick spring is sufficient.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:05 pm The knife is Italian, from the 1970s.
Leave the springs overly long. Go ahead and drill them. Temporarily install them and fit them for length that way.
Once fitted, heat treat them.
Making the knife with 2 springs is easier on the maker's stamping equipment. There is really no functional reason to replace them with double springs. One thick spring is sufficient.
Well there ya go K.K.! Shoots my theory all ta hell, that's for sure! 8)
8)
Kramersknife

Post by Kramersknife »

Ok great thanks for the advice and I will get back with some photo's when done..and I messed up on the length they are about 1/8 too short Back to the cutting board. Should have measured twice...

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”