HEADACHES

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

HEADACHES

Post by Quick Steel »

This happened about 15 years ago. I bumped into a former student of mine, a very successful busineesman. It turned out that his offices were only a few minutes from where I lived and worked. We got together for supper in a local restaurant. After we caught up on each other's lives the conversation ranged over many topics and he mentioned that he suffered several times a week from severe migrain headaches. He had been enduring these for years, experiencing such pain and nausea that he could only lie down in a darkened room and endure. This had been going on for years.

Not long before this meeting I was reading in some medical literature [a hobby] that about 50% of migraine sufferers are suffering from inadequate magnesium. As far as I can tell this fact has been known for years. I asked if his doctors suggested he try magnesium and was surprised when he answered no. Obviously I suggested he had nothing to lose by supplementing with magnesium citrate (about 400mg. a day.) After all he might be one of the lucky 50 percent. He was. All headaches ceased and never returned. This was life changing for him.

I've mentioned the magnesium connection to many who suffer repeated headaches; they don't have to be migrains. Most recently I discovered a sister of mine was waking up daily with a headache. Magnesium stopped them totally. She experimented: if she took less thean 200mg. the headache returned but again promptly stopped with adequate supplementation.

I tell this story just in case a fellow AAPK member or a loved one has headache problems; you might want to see if inadequate magnesium might be the cause. Will this prove successful for everyone? Of course not. Recall that 50% of migrain sufferers are not helped. Their headaches are caused by something other than a mineral deficiency. But it is worth a try. Chronic headaches are the body's means of alerting us that something needs fixing. I believe it is prudent to consult with your doctor and try to figure out what the body is communicating.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: HEADACHES

Post by jerryd6818 »

Good suggestion Garry. I doubt there are very many of the public at large that is aware of this potential cure.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Very interesting. My wife has been suffering from chronic migraines for some years and we've tried all sorts of remedies. We have considered diet, exercise/daily activities (stress) and medications, i.e., focusing on what she was putting into her body, never thought it might be caused by something she was not putting in. I had started to wonder if it was a sub-conscious reaction to my incurable knife addiction that was the cause. ::paranoid::

Definitely going to give magnesium a try. Thanks for sharing that info, Quick Steel. I'll let you know if it works--and I'll send you a knife if it does. (Hey, it's the least I can do if it keeps me from of having to check myself into rehab and go through knife withdrawal. ::teary_eyes::)

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Q: I'll be sending you a PM. And if she should be one of the fortunate for whom a solution results that will adequate reward. No need for your generous thought of a kinife.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Jerry what really surprises me is that too many doctors don't seem to know. But any doctor who is treating migrain patients should have certainly reviewed the medical literature. I am only one person yet have encountered several people who were easily removed from years of suffering. This is unconsionable. ::td::
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Hmmmmm .....I need to do some research. Or at least brush up on the body's minerals.

I take a daily 400mg of magnesium oxide as prescribed by my cardiologist.
That is for my ticker having 'hiccups'.

But I have been having what I thought were sinus headaches for years. Not quite migraines,
but still annoying as heck. ::disgust:: Turns out it wasn't my sinuses.

::hmm:: ::handshake::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Garry....
Awesome thought to share this....if it only helps ONE (as in Q's wife) it'll be amazing.

Now, regarding Dr's "allegedly not knowing".....they only know what they're taught. They prescribe based on
what they were taught and what makes the most money. There's no money in actually "helping someone get 100% better."

The days where your small town doctor told you take cod liver oil or a hot tottie to recover are gone.

And if they can't help you in any possible way, they recommend antibiotics, which are known to be about as good as drinking chlorine.

Oh boy.....sorry......I have to stop.

THANKFULLY people read magazines and Internet articles!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

royal0014: The importance of magnesium for the heart is well recognized. The fact is that magnesium is vital to over 300 enzymatic actions within the body. Certainly every mineral has its role to play even the trace minerals. But magnesium is major league in its impact on the body.

Most of the magnesium supplements you will find in the stores is in the oxide form. I use the citrate form because more of it is available to the body. If I can't find it locally I order on line. But while you are looking for the citrate type go ahead and get started on the oxide. Just make sure your doctor is okay with the citrate. He might have some reason that he especially wants you to use the oxide form.

Scott, although every profession has its miscreants there are many reasons why a doctor might not be up to speed. My brother, a retired doctor, would use his drive time to listen to audio tapes of medical studies. Not all are so dedicated. There is so much knowledge that some gets forgotten I'm sure. And GPs are under a lot of time constraints and other pressures. None of these are adequate excuses of course. Just the human condition. And never forget: 50% of all doctors were in the bottom half of their class. :)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Quick Steel wrote:And never forget: 50% of all doctors were in the bottom half of their class. :)
Sounds like a lead in to that old joke, "What do you call a guy who barely passed medical school? Doctor."
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

And don't forget, even the person at the bottom of his class met all requirements for graduation and became an M.D.

Those that flunked out did not.

Cannot provide examples, but probably could find some if I looked hard enough, but I suspect some from the top of their class became poor doctors and some from the bottom became great doctors. Book learning is not all there is to it. Heart, drive, compassion and aptitude add a lot to one's success.

Oftentimes. it's not how one achieved their degree, but what they did with it afterwards.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

RR: Your points are clearly true. Just to survive the long academic grind, the lost sleep, the constant decisions that will impact a patient's life;it is all too much for me and I could not have done it at any level. I did witness close up a brother who went through it all. Consequently I have great respect for anyone being able to place an M.D. after their name. After that their effectiveness will tell the story. Your comment about class placement not necessarily being a good predictor of talent has been proven true in many professions.

So, I hope you do not take offense at our chiding of your profession. It was not intended to offend. None of us would like to be without doctors.I have encountered doctors who were superb healers and others whose skills were indifferent. In other words, doctors share in our human condition.
Black Lion

Post by Black Lion »

I've been a victim of headaches for a good number of years and resolved (somewhat) by different remedies. My first bout began in 1967 and lasted for 13 years. Magnesium supplements wouldn't have helped though unless it was formed into a bullet. A divorce in 1980 cured that problem. Years later another bout of headaches started up and these were about-to-blow-my-head-up types. Advil Cold and Sinus tabs relieved those but the "cure" was a prescription of Losartin to lower blood pressure. Still, barometric pressure depending, I found it necessary to pop an Advil C&S but those times were for nagging sinus headaches. So now I'm taking a daily dose of CoQ10 and the Losartin has been shelved (I check my BP twice daily) and Advil use is pretty much history. Still there are times when there's this feeling of a headache wanting to emerge and maybe, just maybe this magnesium supplement might alleviate that. I've survived AK-47's, Agent Orange, C-rations and 6 democrat presidents...it's worth a try, no?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You forgot to mention surviving a marriage.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Black Lion: Certainly worth a try. And no need to be overly concerned about the form of magnesium. They all work, if they work at all. [Nature City puts out a chelate powder for mixing with liquid which may be the most bio-available product on the market.]
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

One more thing Black Lion. If you are taking prescription drugs, be sure to consult with your doctor or pharmacist to confirm there will be no side effects. While I'm confident there are no potential issues, always double check with a health care professional.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Quick Update for all those following this thread...

My wife began taking the magnesium as recommended by Garry (Quick Steel) on Dec. 1. She has not suffered a migraine ever since; the longest continuous period of time that she has been headache-free in over two years. So far, it seems as though she may be among the fortunate 50% for whom this simple solution works. For her (us) it's nothing short of a miracle!

I have also received some very kind and thoughtful suggestions from Garry regarding a different, personal medical condition that has plagued me for the last 30 years, and for which I wish to publicly thank him. Although he acknowledges that he is not a doctor himself as is/was his brother, apparently the M.D. gene must run in his family.

May God bless you, Garry, and all others like you, whether officially certified M.D.s or just honest, compassionate folks who strive to lessen some of the pain and suffering in the lives of others through diligent study, sharing knowledge and a love of and appreciation for human life.
::not_worthy::
Cheers & Aloha,
~Q~

~Q~
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Good information QS. My wife is a migraine sufferer. The Magnisium Citrate doesn't get rid of hers unfortunately, lots of hers are brought on by barometric pressure. But we do take magnesium, it's very good for you and more people than you'd think are deficient.

I was having random eye tics. It didn't affect my vision, but it felt like my whole eye was jumping. Valerie had read about magnesium and that the eye tics were one of the symptoms of a deficiency. I started taking them and the tic went away. Good stuff.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Colonel26: Not at all surprised about the general deficiency in magnesium. I've seen reports that as much as 90% of the population is magnesium deficient, not even reaching the RDA, which is not very much. This is primarily the result of our depleted soils and reliance on processed foods.
Some doctors still advise patients that they can get all the vitamins and minerals they need from a balanced diet. My response is, not if it is an American diet. [ Theoretically it could be yes if one is willing to devote the time and money to obtaining truly organic, naturally fertilized produce and, similarly, organic meat, dairy, eggs, butter etc. Some of our members harvest their own wild meat, which a a big plus.]

It is interesting to me how the body communicates thru symptoms. The body has needs that we are not meeting, so it lets us know e.g. headaches, eye twitching, restless legs, IBS etc.etc.

Thanks for sharing.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

We have the eggs and some of the naturally fertilized veggies covered. We have chickens and do our own eggs. We eat them yolk and all and lots of them. The medical community is just now figuring out that they actually are good for you. Lol

We have about 30 hens and a rooster at any given time. Some of our hens are older and don't lay much anymore. But they're still churning out compost for me.

I keep wood chips and sawdust in the run and house for them. They eat bugs and worms, kitchen scrapes and waste from the yard and garden. Between the compost we throw in there, their droppings, and the wood chips and dust by spring the run is full of black loamy mulch. I use that to fertilize my raised beds. It sure does raisegiid veggies and no chemical fertilize needed.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Colonel you are way ahead of most. So many things we were told to avoid are now recognized as major benefactors to our health: eggs, organic butter, coffee etc. How many millions have been affected by limiting or reducing egg consumption over the years? Such a wonderful food. Just this year the Medical Powers quietly but firmly announced that cholesterol in food is of no concern. After decades of misdirection.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Quick Steel wrote:Colonel you are way ahead of most. So many things we were told to avoid are now recognized as major benefactors to our health: eggs, organic butter, coffee etc. How many millions have been affected by limiting or reducing egg consumption over the years? Such a wonderful food. Just this year the Medical Powers quietly but firmly announced that cholesterol in food is of no concern. After decades of misdirection.
I think you hit on something real important there. Now the literature is quietly talkin about how important dietary cholesterol is in the production of various hormones. Especially for us men, cholesterol is needed in the production of testosterone. Fat is needed by the brain. The list goes on.

But for years we've been told no caffeine, no fat, no cholesterol. And we sure aren't getting any healthier.

My old Dr., the last time I saw him he asked how much coffee I drank a day. I told him 12 cups. He asked what I put in it, I said COFFEE. he said as long as it was straight coffee and it didn't affect me negatively in any way, drink all I wanted it was good for me.

Maybe things are starting to change a little for the better.
Robert E. Lee
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

QTCut5: Thank you for your kind and generous words. Your wife's success makes my Christmas.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

For anyone suffering from an un-diagnosed or "mysterious" health condition who may be looking for some answers, or who would like to share their own personal health story to help others...here is an interesting site which allows you to tap into an expansive network of health-conscious people (both professional and laymen) who can help identify and/or suggest possible solutions.

https://www.crowdmed.com/

~Q~

~Q~

Return to “Mostly True Stories”