Old Knives and Memories

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
timgreene48

Re: Old Knives and Memories

Post by timgreene48 »

Thats a heck of a knife for a dollar!! ::woot::
wlf

Post by wlf »

Daddy gave me an Imperial(I think) fish knife when I was about 4 or 5 years old.An older boy begged it from me,pretty sure the same day I got it, at a pay lake while we were fishing,that's how young and naive I was.He then gave me a barlow a little later.

Daddy was a son's and all his nephew's buddy.We went fishing ,hunting,played horseshoes,marbles,cards,bowled continually.I was packing a gun in the woods when I was about 8,shooting before that.Fishing from about 3 or 4 on. He did make safety a priority,as far as handling a gun,other hunters,and always unloading your gun completely before coming out of the woods.

When I was 12 ,I got into a fight with a 15 year old who had a large ring on. He cut my eye and bloodied my nose,had blood all over my shirt. Even so, I was backing him up when the gym teacher picked me up. Daddy didn't like the sight of me and after I told him the details,especially the ring part,he asked if I needed another knife.He loved his family and has backed down State police,him at 5' 8". I told Daddy I didn't need one,that I could take care of it,that I thought I could take the guy given a little more time.

You didn't mess with his kids ,that was dangerous.

I don't have any of the early knives Dad got me,but I do have the folding hunter he used to skin game. It's not much now,after Papaw Fry borrowed it to cut hogs. He sharpened it vigorously with a good file. Daddy told me that was the last time he would borrow it,but it was to late.

I still treasure it though.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I remember it like it was yesterday, it was 1964 and I had just earned my Cub Scout Whittling Chip and my father who was our Cubmaster took me to Amato's Toy & Hobby store in downtown New Britain Connecticut to purchase a brand new blue Camillus Official Cub Scout knife. I still treasure that knife today and have never gone a day without having a pocketknife in my left front pocket. Something clicked that day and rather than collect Scouting patches or neckerchiefs I always traded for knives. As hard as it may be to comprehend, On My Honor I have never lost a knife; probably because I safeguard them like gold.

But more than the knives are the memories of the friends I made along the way. I wish I had kept a journal to chronicle the great people I have met along the way but I didn't so all I have are the memories and the knives. I've worked hard with both of my sons to transfer my lessons-learned so hopefully they will get to this point in their journey and have more than just memories. One thing is for sure, they will have one hell of a knife collection to divy-up!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...my first knife was a Camillus cub scout, bought in 1944 or '45. my mother took me with her to hind's bros. in tupelo to buy it. my grandpa told her to make sure it was a Camillus!! I dropped it over the side of the boat in the '60's in grandpa's lake. sometime in the '80's, the dam broke and after it dried up, I spent 2 days looking for it, but never found it!!.......would give anything now to have it back!!!....... ::tu:: ..............
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

My first knife was a Case XX 3254 Trapper given to me by an uncle. It was followed closely by a Queen #39 Folding Hunter in Winterbottom Bone. I still have the Queen but I have no clue what happened to the Case Trapper. I was about 8 years old when I got it and my mom was not too keen on me having it so she might have relieved me of it. I don't think she ever knew about the Queen or it would have probably been long gone as well. That would have been in 1963 or so and that first Case did it for me. I was hooked then and still am. I didn't have a clue back then about knives, their patterns, handle materials, or what would eventually be called knife collecting. Several years later I met Jim Sargent and he and I became good friends. If I wasn't already hooked I didn't stand a chance after meeting him. He shared his knowledge freely and always had time to spend with me. As a result, I've been able to handle literally thousands of knives over the years and I've learned a lot because of this. Now I do my best to share what I've learned with others. Hopefully someone else will come along and do the same after I'm gone.

Rick

Return to “Mostly True Stories”