Oh my goodness, he has a knife!!

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
ConservativeKnives

Oh my goodness, he has a knife!!

Post by ConservativeKnives »

I thankfully haven't had the occasion of anyone giving me weird looks when I use a knife in public, which is surprising , considering the state I live in ::paranoid:: .

I would like to hear some stories of people that have given you weird looks when you have used a knife in public.

If you have none, awesome! You live in a great community :lol:
CK

Get rhythm...when you get the blues.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Oh my goodness, he has a knife!!

Post by philco »

Honestly I've really never had that experience. I live in a rural area so many of the men folks still carry some sort of knife here. A lot of them are packing a gun too.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ConservativeKnives

philco wrote:Honestly I've really never had that experience. I live in a rural area so many of the men folks still carry some sort of knife here. A lot of them are packing a gun too.
That's exactly what I would expect Phil. Around here, especially with the tacticals I carry, I think I might get some weird looks. I don't really find many uses for a knife in public however. At least not in a very populated area.
CK

junebug

Post by junebug »

one time only.......
it kinda shocked me.....it was just before last CHRISTMAS......me and my son came down from Squaw Valley to Visalia (45 err so miles)to shop and go by BANK....we had been out doing chores for horses and dogs earlier and both had a sheath knife on......we entered bank, got in line,and from behind a guy says "excuse me sir"....me: YEAH???....its a security guard, new and rented by bank for holiday.....
he says "yer gonna have to leave and take yer knife off sir,not allowed here".......i say" REALLY?? SINCE WHEN??? THIS A NEW THING??? I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM BEFORE."
he says "yeah now don't cause a scene, and do what yer told!!!"
so i say "hold on, where is J.R. (bank manager),i wanna talk to him."
J.R came over and says "WHATS THE PROB JOSH???"
THIS GUY DON'T LIKE KNIVES?? OR IS IT THE BANK??
then i say hold on.....come on Skyler....we went out to truck and put knives in truck and re entered...
when we got back in J.R. said he was sorry and it would never happen again.
we said no biggie,knives are in truck now.
did my transaction......turned tipped the security guard $20 and said MERRY CHRISTMAS BRO!!
we have never had a problem since....and i have never seen a security guard in there since..lololol
not even this year the whole Christmas season.........don't know what he said to J.R to explain situation
but that is the ONLY time i can remember any negative VIBE i have gotten about knives in my area....

dang that was alot of typein'..lololol ::super_happy::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

This should IMO be in Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Just returned from a two week operation in the boonies. This was Nam of course. Ditched my gear and headed for the mess hall. On my belt was a generic "Ka Bar" probably made by Camillus. The senior Regimental advisor, a Lt. Col., heading in the same direction, glanced at me and said, "Get rid of that knife."

Fortunately he was soon replaced by a Lt. Col. whose head was not in rectal defilade.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:roll: I was at a McDonalds in a large city. The girl who was behind the counter was trying to open a large box with her fingernail. I told her I could open it for her and brought out my Buck yellow handle 303. and opened it for her. When she saw the knife I thought she was going to panic, her eyes were as large as dinner plates. I told not to be alarmed that I always carry one for just these ocassions. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Being a disabled veteran I go to the VA Hospital for most of my medical treatment, so I am in a VA facility generally 2 to3 times per month. I mostly wear logger dungarees; like carpenter jeans except with button on suspenders. They have a large narrow pocket on the right leg where I usually carry a large “tactical” type knife such as a Benchmade, Spyderco Endura, Buck 347or some other large (4” to 6”) knife. I regularly forget to leave it in the car, even though they have a “No Weapons” sign at the entrance to most every VA medical facility. I have never had a problem at the Portland VA, which is surprising as Portland is a large city full of liberals in a very blue state.

I was very rather astonished to be confronted by a security guard at the little CBOC (Community Based Outpatient Clinic) in my hometown of Salem. He stopped me and gestured to my knife in my side pocket and asked me what it was. I showed him and he said, “Why don’t you just put it away, inside your pocket?”
I said, “Sure.” And that was the end of the conversation. I was taken aback because it had never happened to me in Portland where I more or less expected it. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
ConservativeKnives

Awesome stories guys! Thanks!
CK

Cutty

Post by Cutty »

A dozen years ago I had to attend traffic court. I forgot to leave my pocket knife (case trapper) in the truck and didn't realize it until it was time to unload my pockets at the metal detector. Well, I was running late and had no time to run back out so I thought I had forfeited it to the cause :( . After court and a paid ticket hat I was unable to talk my way out of, the deputy out front called me over and handed my knife back to me. He quietly said that he usually wouldn't have done it but it was a nice knife and he would have hated to loose it himself. That's the only time I have had any problem with a knife around here and it wound up being the highlight of my morning. I still have that lucky knife.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
ConservativeKnives

Cutty wrote:A dozen years ago I had to attend traffic court. I forgot to leave my pocket knife (case trapper) in the truck and didn't realize it until it was time to unload my pockets at the metal detector. Well, I was running late and had no time to run back out so I thought I had forfeited it to the cause :( . After court and a paid ticket hat I was unable to talk my way out of, the deputy out front called me over and handed my knife back to me. He quietly said that he usually wouldn't have done it but it was a nice knife and he would have hated to loose it himself. That's the only time I have had any problem with a knife around here and it wound up being the highlight of my morning. I still have that lucky knife.

That's awesone!
CK

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I had federal jury duty once and the first day I had to appear the security guy, who was a retired federal marshall, ask me to empty my pockets. Welp, I had my 64-69 Case trapper in my pocket. He picked it up opened it and said, "nice old knife, sure has been used and sharpened a lot". I said "yep." He took my name and after court, on my way out, he handed it back to me. Same thing every day until jury duty was over. Probably never happen like that today.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I had to go inside the courthouse a few months back accompanying my daughter who was there to take the test for her driving permit. There were two security guards and a metal detector to go past on the way in. I handed over my Canal Street congress and one of the guards gave me a little token to use to redeem it. When I came back he tried to give me some cheapo China made beater. I told him "keep looking, that's not mine". He tried to argue that it matched the number on the token. I was admant that I was not going to accept any knife but the one I'd given him. Finally he dug mine out of a different storage locker. To this day I think he was trying to take my knife and thought I wouldn't kick up a fuss. Boy was he mistaken!
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

I occasionally go to a local pizza joint and I sometimes get the salad bar. They don't cut up their peppers (they are rings), carrots, or celrey into bite size pieces. So after I fill my plate I take out my pocket knife and proceed to dice the veggies. Nobody has said anything yet but I've gotten a second look or two.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

I have gotten a few strange looks in a couple of steak houses whne my own knife was used instead of their cheap stamped tin Taiwanese crap - "Oh, I see you brought your own knife, Sir!" 'Yeah, aint no sense insulting a good steak with a cheap knife." -- Waitress usually smiles.
ConservativeKnives

wizrd wrote:I have gotten a few strange looks in a couple of steak houses whne my own knife was used instead of their cheap stamped tin Taiwanese crap - "Oh, I see you brought your own knife, Sir!" 'Yeah, aint no sense insulting a good steak with a cheap knife." -- Waitress usually smiles.
Hah! That's great!
CK

xstuntman

Post by xstuntman »

Back in the beginning of Desert Storm I was sitting outside the royal airport in Saudi Arabia, doing nothing much but playing with a Schrade Sharp Finger I'd rescued-found several years back while cleaning a cargo plane. Actually I was whittling a wooden spoon and joked it was for digging under the wall to escape. Mostly to "escape" shear boredom of counting passing camels since the war hadn't kicked off yet.

Along comes some French fellas and one drops back to look over my knife. He jabbered something, might be trouble ::shrug::

He smiles and pulls out an Opinel :D First one I'd ever seen! We ended up trading some patches and it probably brightened both our days to see some guys just love sharp iron.
My retirement shall consist of carbon steel, cheese, and crackers.
ConservativeKnives

Cool story!!!
CK

WolfSan

Post by WolfSan »

Maybe it's just my location but I've gotten a lot of strange looks, especially when I was 8 or 9 (16 now). Part of it is just that I think that people are honestly surprised to see a little girl pull out a pocket knife :mrgreen: I was certainly not at all bashful about pulling it out to do this or that; it seemed less likely to hurt the person next to me than a needle while sewing. I did learn that I shouldn't use it during school, but of course I soon forgot this and brought it out when someone got their clothing caught in a bicycle, which led me to the principal's office with a threat of expulsion ::paranoid:: Later on another teacher asked for someone to give her a pocketknife to do a gardening task. Go figure. However, people continued looking at me funny if I used it (Someone even asked “are you going to attack someone with that thing?” Seriously the only purpose for a knife he could think of?). In fact, it was from getting so many strange looks that I started to use it in public only very discreetly if I pulled it out at all. Of course, for all the people who give me weird looks there are also people who think its cool or look at me jealously...:)
ConservativeKnives

I am also 16 and live in CT, so that's not a great location for the things I love, but oh well. I haven't gotten many weird looks because I don't end up in public a lot, and therefore don't end up using any knives in public too often. Location often plays the biggest role in this, because someone that wasn't brought up around knives or firearms is obviously going to be uncomfortable around them until you show them not to be.

Great first post by the way :)
CK

Diamondtim

Post by Diamondtim »

I work in a major city's police training academy. To cut up a box, I pulled out a chinese half serated lockback knife. The director of the academy saw it and commented on how wicked it looked. I said, "You've got to be kidding! That's nothing! Do I scare you?" Then we all laughed.
Share the Love,

Diamondtim
tac803

Post by tac803 »

While eating at a formal reception, the roast of beef was a little less than tender and the "steak knives" on the table weren't cutting it, so I pulled out my Emerson CQC-7 and proceeded to cut up the beef. The conversation at the table came to a dead halt, and everybody was looking at me like I had grown a second head! I looked around and started to laugh, at which point the conversation turned to knives, and the guy sitting on my right asked if he could borrow it to cut his meat as well. Was a good night all the way around.
whit107

Post by whit107 »

Here in WV, knives and guns are as common as deer tracks, so normally a knife does not cause a stir. Once I had to go to testify at the courthouse and as I emptied my pockets for security, the deputy picked up my old Boker trapper and began to examine it with great interest. He looked up and said "I'm going to have to confiscate this". I suppose the look on my face was sufficient to express my shock but then he broke a smile and said, naa just kidding but it sure is a nice one. I picked it up on my way out after he jokingly pretended to have misplaced it.
Life is far too short to carry a bad knife.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

One Christmas my future brother-in-law presented me with a sword cane. It was a welcome gift because I had recently undergone back surgery(for the third time)and was having some difficulty walking due to the nerves in that leg acting up.
Upon heading back to Massachusetts I went through the screening at the airport(this was over twenty years ago so it was nothing like it is today)they discover the blade inside the cane. The Wayne County sheriff comes over and informs me that I cannot take this on the plane and I will have to ship it!
I hurriedly take it over to be shipped and barely make my flight.No problem when I arrive in Boston.
Fast forward a few months.I have completed my move to Michigan and I am driving back to Massachusetts to return the truck I had borrowed for the move and pick up my car.I am about an hour out when I get pulled over by the Ohio State Police.I wasn't speeding or anything but my hair is rather long and I have a beard and am dressed in jeans so I guess I was being profiled.
I have in my pocket my custom Jason Williams folder and on the dash tray of the truck is another knife I was using to open boxes and my sword cane.Also there was my handicapped placard which was to prove very useful.
The trooper was very polite and asked where I was going and looking around the cab.He spots the cane and picks it up and shakes it saying:"And what do we have here?" I tell him and say that I have been using it to get around as my leg still isn't working very well.
He asks if I have any other weapons on me and I hand over the folder.He looks at it and asks me to step back into the cruiser while informing me that a sword cane is a felony in Ohio. I figure it's all over now;I'm headed to jail.
He checks out my background that takes about a half hour and then asks me if I would mind him checking the back of the truck.I say no problem;all that is in there is some moving blankets and my sign painter's kit.
He looks all through it and when he is satisfied that I'm not carrying any dope or weapons he says:" What I would suggest you do is take your cane and lock it up in the back of the truck and when you get back to Massachusetts get rid of it!" He hands me back my knife and says,"Have a safe trip!"
To this day I believe that the only thing that saved my butt was that handicapped placard.
Oh yeas I almost forgot;the cane is still in my 1955 Pontiac Safari wagon.I keep it under the hood and use it to prop up the hood because the springs are a bit weak.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Good story k7k. Some cops would've locked you up just because they could ::dang::

How about some pictures of that '55 Safari?? I'm sure it'll fit in a thread somewhere here!
::super_happy::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

royal0014 wrote:Good story k7k. Some cops would've locked you up just because they could ::dang::

How about some pictures of that '55 Safari?? I'm sure it'll fit in a thread somewhere here!
::super_happy::
I've posted pics of it before in another thread but here it is for your viewing pleasure.I've owned it for 20 years (in February) and have logged over 180,000 miles with very few problems.Still has the rebuilt engine that came with it.I bought another engine just in case but will probably use it in my 57 Safari when that one is completed.
Attachments
401900_10201078805194913_460669600_n.jpg
57Safari.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Mostly True Stories”