Westmark Barlow???

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Westmark Barlow???

Post by knifeaholic »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WESTMAR ... SwkZhWSiun

This one puzzles me - I recall WESTMARK as the brand that Western used for its higher-end line of fixed blades.

This one is a newer barlow, indicates made in USA.

Can anyone explain this knife?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Westmark Barlow???

Post by peanut740 »

Steve several years ago I had a couple 1 blade delrin handled doctor's knives marked Westmark.I got them with a group of other knives and appeared to have been made by Camillus.They looked like reissued Remingtons.
Roger
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

peanut740 wrote:Steve several years ago I had a couple 1 blade delrin handled doctor's knives marked Westmark.I got them with a group of other knives and appeared to have been made by Camillus.They looked like reissued Remingtons.
Thanks that is interesting. That barlow looks like a Camillus. Camillus did own the Western trademarks, I have just never seen one like this before.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

They may have been put out for Smokey.I think I remember them in one of their catalogs years ago.
Roger
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I can't add any new info, but I have had this one in collection for a long time. Its a special production run of the "Young Buck" Barlow.
20151119_093605.jpg
20151119_093650.jpg
Randy
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I contacted a couple of guys who worked for Western "back in the day". Both are pretty sure these Barlows weren't a product of Western in the days before the Coleman purchase. I'm inclined to agree that they came out during the years when Camillus owned the Western name.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

As some of you may recall Camillus at one time owned part of Smoky Mountain Knife Works, which explains why there were so many SFO’s from Camillus for Smoky. I believe the Westmark Barlows are but one example of this relationship.

There were at least two Westmark Barlows in the series that I am aware of, the Young Buck and the Ole Buck. The Ole Buck is a single blade granddaddy Barlow. I happen to purchase one each of these Barlows from SMKW. At that time I kept the spreadsheet with records of my knife purchases, so I can tell you this about the knives: they were purchased October 11, 2006 from SMKW. The handles are Delrin.
He Ole Buck is 5” in length and I paid $16.99 for it.
The Young Buck is 3-3/8” in length for which I paid $14.99.

The Ole Buck is a very near match to the Camillus #9 except it does not have the groove on the bolster that the #9 has. Looking inside of the liners of the Ole Buck and the #9 the holes inside of the liner match up perfectly. Another difference is a handle pen on the upper rear part of the Ole Buck handle that is not on the #9, but this could be easily added for aesthetic purposes.

Aside from the difference in the bolsters, tang stamps, blade etch and handle material the Young Buck and the Camillus #51 appeared to be the same knife.
When compared side to side the Ole Buck and the Young Buck appeared to be variations of the Camillus #9 Barlow and the Camillus #51 Barlow.

Here are a couple pictures of the Westmark Young Buck and the Ole Buck.
Westmark Barlows a.jpg
Westmark Barlows b.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”