WESTERN Black Beauty Fixed blade

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
ConservativeKnives

WESTERN Black Beauty Fixed blade

Post by ConservativeKnives »

WESTERN Black Beauty Fixed blade. Model # F48B.

This knife is really good looking. I know some about it, but not a lot. If you know any more about this knife, I would love to know! The tang stamp puts it pre-1961 (if I'm not mistakin).
Attachments
DSCF7329.JPG
DSCF7330.JPG
DSCF7334.JPG
DSCF7336.JPG
DSCF7337.JPG
CK

Get rhythm...when you get the blues.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WESTERN Black Beauty Fixed blade

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like the Black Beauty's. I especially like the swedge on yours. What do you suppose it is that makes the Black Beauty's go for more than other Westerns? They don't seem to be extreamly rare.

I don't think you're mistaken about the age.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
ConservativeKnives

Post by ConservativeKnives »

In my research, this model seems to be not exactly rare, but harder to find than the larger models in the Black Beauty line. They originally came with a matching hatchet, and the sheathes could even been attached.
CK

Get rhythm...when you get the blues.

Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
KyDuckHunter

Post by KyDuckHunter »

The Black Beauty series of knives first shows up in the 1960 catalog in the "Knife Makers That Went West" book. The F in the model number indicates this is a Black Beauty knife. The 48 indicates the series of blade and the B indicates lack of a blood groove. Given that your knife is marked Western Boulder it would make it an early knife, circa 1961 as you thought. Your sheath is the original Oak Leaf sheath. This model of Black Beauty was continued through 1978. All other Black Beauty models were discontinued prior to 1978. You have a nice knife!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

KyDuckHunter -- Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the information. AAPK is all about education and your post fits in perfectly.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

That is a nice Western BB - I skinned a deer with mine last season - very good steel, kept a sharp edge through the entire process.

Dimitri posted this link several months ago - lots of information about Black Beauty knives: http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/Newsletter%200903.pdf
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”