Found a couple Westerns at the OKCA show

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Found a couple Westerns at the OKCA show

Post by orvet »

I found a couple Western knives at the Oregon show this last weekend.
One is a folder, a Western States stockman with an arched top line of the stamp.
It sure has some pretty celluloid on the handles. The hue of the color changes as you move the knife in the light.
Western States stockman b.jpg
Western States stockman c.jpg

The other knife is a bifurcated tang with yellow celluloid cracked ice inserts in the handles, a #239. Looking in Harvey Platts’ book, I only see that pattern in the catalog reprints of the 1950s catalogs. It came with a nice sheath but not the one described in Platts' book.
Western 239 a.jpg
Western 239 b.jpg

Any input or info on these knives would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
junebug

Re: Found a couple Westerns at the OKCA show

Post by junebug »

nice haul!!!
i been gettin into westerns as of late.....thanx for showin!!

junebug 8) 8)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
tongueriver

Re: Found a couple Westerns at the OKCA show

Post by tongueriver »

Well, I like Westerns and I like celluloid, and I like your knives, Dale! As you know, they stopped calling themselves WESTERN STATES on their letterheads in 1942. Harvey said that arched stamp was good until 1950, but I am skeptical about that. I think they stopped using it before the War broke out. Now that I mention it, I think a lot of his "facts" were a little fuzzy. His book was a promo item to boost sales and I don't think he was a stickler for historical accuracy. Life is short, and by 1978, the publication date of his book, most of the experts (the blue collar worker cutler nobodies) who actually made the early knives were retired or dead, and he would not have condescended to talk to the lower class anyway. By the way, if events transpire positively in coming days, I might have more to offer. :D

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”