My latest Western folder

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My latest Western folder

Post by jerryd6818 »

This Scout is my only Western. I wouldn't mind having more, I just haven't. Maybe I should make that a project for 2013? ::shrug::
Attachments
Western Scout Mark Open.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
thawk

Post by thawk »

Western Boulder 745

There were five variations of this old Western States Cutlery pattern, which date back to at least 1919. The old pattern number was a 6374.

Jerry, we are sharing the same project. This is my #2 for the year.
Hal
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Hal, have you considered submitting those shots to Playboy magazine? I wonder if "California Clip" has anything to do with certain Hollywood directors' private film sessions?
TexasJack

Post by TexasJack »

image.jpg
Jack
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Texasjack, that is a great lot of hunters; they are indeed Texas-sized jacks. Do you ever carry one? I have used them on deer and antelope, but I went back to fixed blades because they are easier to clean up and won't fold on one's hand. I still love the hunters, though; big is beautiful.
TexasJack

Post by TexasJack »

Just good memories. When cleaning deer I usually use a lockback hunter of some sort.
I do carry folding Hunters every now and then though.
I mostly just love the history of knives.
Jack
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Man this thread hasn't had any post since November 2013 so I'll show a 1961-77 Western whittler I got since then a 6504.It's too bad these were fine folders ::hmm::I'd like to see yours ::nod::
Attachments
214.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I love me some Western steel! Here's a few of mine. First the bone scales. Next the Delrin Boulder Colorado 742's. Finally the last two Western USA 742's I have (my three boys cabbaged on the other three).
Attachments
20150102_091841.jpg
20150102_091913.jpg
20150102_091953.jpg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: nice that what I like to see ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

This my latest, and only, Western folder. It seems very well made and super sharp. The stuff you see on the bolsters is some adhesive from stickers that were on the knife. I didn't have my cleaning supplies handy when I had the camera out. It has a crack in the shield side handle by the top pin.

I bought this with the intent to carry occasionally, but am now having second thoughts about the idea. It is 4 inches closed. I would be grateful to know approximate age and pattern number if Western used a numbering scheme.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Attachments
Western Boulder Colo Stockman #3 small.jpg
Western Boulder Colo Stockman #4 small.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice knives fellas,I always hear brags about that steel. Never owned one,but wouldn't mind trying a premium stockman for carrying.

Wade ,I'd like to trade you out of that whittler,lovely piece. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks WLF! It is a beautiful old knife, on that side.....unfortunately in the other side there's a chip out of the bine that somebody years ago filled with white paint! It's good and stable so I still pack it occasionally. Not sure you'd want that for your collection.

I do have another one coming in the mail though with good bone, and good blades! It'll be here in a day or two.

And the brags about the steel are not really brags, they're facts! Lol. It's that good.
RalphAlsip wrote:This my latest, and only, Western folder. It seems very well made and super sharp. The stuff you see on the bolsters is some adhesive from stickers that were on the knife. I didn't have my cleaning supplies handy when I had the camera out. It has a crack in the shield side handle by the top pin.

I bought this with the intent to carry occasionally, but am now having second thoughts about the idea. It is 4 inches closed. I would be grateful to know approximate age and pattern number if Western used a numbering scheme.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
I love that! I would love to have one for my collection, and yes, I'd pack it! Really beautiful knife.

I have some more I've added. I'll try to take pictures tonight.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

These three came in the mail today! A Western 4 inch bone split back whittler, a delrin 426 user, and this nifty Orvet Custom folding hunter! Woo Hoo!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”